Sun Princess Rumours

23 hours ago, SeaDog-46 said:

Sorry GUT - Pacific Princess build date is July / Aug. 1999.

All the Au. Sun Class are older but not Oceana.

Ok 5 years difference I thought it was the other way around, she must have been newer than I thought when we had our first cruise.

I was just on a Sun Princess cruise from the 5th March to the 7th March Sydney to Brisbane and then on the Sea Princess 10th March to 12th March Brisbane to Sydney.

1. I can confirm the hull is suffering excessive mild rust the entire length of the hull. It is discoloured by rust but not extreme. The rust colour is mild to a light milky coffee look.

2. Interior, bars, public rooms are fine and well kept.

3. Showers in standard rooms are a miserable dribble. I will soon be uploading videos of the Diamond shower, Golden shower, Sun shower and the Sea shower. On the Diamond and the Sun where you are in a standard room you have a hand held large circumference shower head. Water does not come out of these heads except in a miserable dribble. You have to be a contortionist to manage the shower cubicle to be covered by the stream of water. Now on the Golden Princess it is a fixed shower head (I was in a full suite) and the shower head was amazing with super strong flow and all sorts of patterns available. Also just recently on the Sea Princess I was in an aft mini suite and the shower head again was a fixed to the wall head that had a super awesome flow of water.

I think I am onto something here and how have 5 videos of showers from recent cruises (one same ship different cabin). It appears some of the standard cabins have inferior flowing showers. Including Sun Princess.

4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Respectably, I would rather not see the pics of the golden shower.

Not even one that reportedly has "super strong flow and all sorts of patterns?"

Edited by The_Big_M

1 hour ago, The_Big_M said:

Some things you can’t unsee, particularly if you have a vivid imagination.  

9 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Gobsmacked and giggling!  Here I was thinking I was on my pat malone with bad thoughts only to discover I was amongst so many.  Poor OP meant well, but 'tis all in the interpretation.

9 minutes ago, Gerko said:

As Sun is up for sale you won't have to put up with things for much longer. Apart from the bathrooms, which are too small, I think these class ships are a great size for cruising.

Sometimes they take years to sell.

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Gobsmacked and giggling!  Here I was thinking I was on my pat malone with bad thoughts only to discover I was amongst so many.  Poor OP meant well, but 'tis all in the interpretation.

Just like at any event, you can join the queue.😄

Alright as promised I am going to try and start uploading my videos directly to this forum in order to give an honest and fair comparison of the ships showers. Now to be 100% fair to Princess there are two options on the mobile shower head. 1 is a narrow jet stream (which works) and the other is spray (which is a miserable dribble).

Once I get this uploaded I will post, assess the success of the video and add the other ships for comparison.

As it appears the videos work here is a video of the shower on the Sea Princess in an aft mini suite. Note that this shower has a fixed head and that the spray and angle is super strong and wide offering a more acceptable showering option for when you need to clean yourself up. After all this is personal hygiene we are talking about here and it should also be expected that the facilities on ships we pay good money for are up to scratch.

Now this one here is on the Diamond Princess in a standard balcony cabin L248 which as you can see has extremely weak spray and flow. The big issue with this one was that on the frame the angle of the head could not be changed due to some problem there but you could pick the head up by hand and move it around.

Now to be fair to Princess (as it is my favourite line) they have indicated to me that the Diamond Princess is currently in the process of getting new shower heads. However they did not tell me which shower heads are the new ones.

Now finally this video is of the shower on the Golden Princess in an aft facing suite C749.

The common pattern I am noticing here is that the suites in particular seem to have the fixed head which is rotatable to various streams of water. From recollection the shower head on the Diamond Princess in the full suite I had in the year 2016 was exactly the same as this one.

I am guessing that the large circumference headed showers that are movable are the old ones being replaced. However I do not have enough information yet to make a full judgement.

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Respectably, I would rather not see the pics of the golden shower.

Not in vivid colour anyway, black & white would be ok.:classic_laugh:

Edited by NSWP
  • Haha 1

After perusing the various shower set ups, I am of the opinion that the hand helds are working on gravity feed with a narrow tube, hence the low flow.   The fixed heads are working on more direct mains pressure, resulting in an acceptable flow.

18 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

I think I am onto something here and how have 5 videos of showers from recent cruises (one same ship different cabin). It appears some of the standard cabins have inferior flowing showers. Including Sun Princess

Thank you for taking the time to record and upload the videos.  Can I ask a couple of questions please? 

• Firstly, what are you referring to as a 'standard' cabin?  I only book balcony cabins and therefore, I think of these as standard. 
  • Secondly and I apologise if you've already addressed this and I've missed the post but, did you refer the matter to your Cabin Attendant?  I have found Princess extremely good in addressing any maintenance issues within cabins but your experience may challenge this.

Have a nice day, Dee.

40 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

Thank you for taking the time to record and upload the videos.  Can I ask a couple of questions please? 

• Firstly, what are you referring to as a 'standard' cabin?  I only book balcony cabins and therefore, I think of these as standard. 
  • Secondly and I apologise if you've already addressed this and I've missed the post but, did you refer the matter to your Cabin Attendant?  I have found Princess extremely good in addressing any maintenance issues within cabins but your experience may challenge this.

Have a nice day, Dee.

A standard cabin is one that is not a suite or mini suite.

Have referred to attendants 2 years ago when I first encountered the problem. No action or fixing ever took place. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I was talking about the shower head settings.

I realise that, the shower settings can create excitement for some.   But there should be no excuse for low water pressure on modern cruise ships.

BTW, I must check on the shower situation on Noordam.  I know they have hand held showers, but not aware of any flow issues.

Edited by NSWP