Sun Princess Rumours

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

There is always some residue (mineral deposit) left behind by any water although it would be no where near what it would be in town water, which is always brought on board at various ports.

They're normally self sufficient in water.

The only water brought onboard is stuff in bottles to sell.

Cruise lines get drinking water from two places. They will sometimes buy potable water in port (you can sometimes see the large hose running to the ship on the pier), test the water, further filter and treat it and then use it as drinking water. Most modern cruise ships can also make enough drinking water to meet all their needs, but this does take a lot of electricity which does have a cost in the fuel used to make the extra power and is sometimes not possible while in port. The two basic processes involve flash evaporation and reverse osmosis. From what we understand (from a ship's environmental officer) the water produced is essentially pure distilled water with only a trace amount of salt (probably less then you get in bottled or tap water at home). In fact, the water is so pure and tasteless that the ship actually adds back a formula of minerals to give it some flavour (try drinking distilled water and you will understand why they need to add some flavour).

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Cruise lines get drinking water from two places. They will sometimes buy potable water in port (you can sometimes see the large hose running to the ship on the pier), test the water, further filter and treat it and then use it as drinking water. Most modern cruise ships can also make enough drinking water to meet all their needs, but this does take a lot of electricity which does have a cost in the fuel used to make the extra power and is sometimes not possible while in port. The two basic processes involve flash evaporation and reverse osmosis. From what we understand (from a ship's environmental officer) the water produced is essentially pure distilled water with only a trace amount of salt (probably less then you get in bottled or tap water at home). In fact, the water is so pure and tasteless that the ship actually adds back a formula of minerals to give it some flavour (try drinking distilled water and you will understand why they need to add some flavour).

I was told that it costs less to bunker water than to make it, unless the ship is underway and that’s why they bunker most ports, to replenish what has been used while in port.

i also know a bloke at Hunter water who swears that the water on every ship he has tested from is cleaner than out of our taps.

6 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

i also know a bloke at Hunter water who swears that the water on every ship he has tested from is cleaner than out of our taps.

The first time we cruised in 2012 we brought water on board.  The second time we cruised we purchased water on board.  Then I also heard that the ships water was not just potable but palatable so, since then we bring our own Tupperware water bottles with us and drink the free water available in our cabin or from a dispenser in the buffet.  We drink filtered tap water at home and this is no different.

Mic is quite correct.  Ships take on water [bunker is fuel] in port because it is often cheaper than making it.  They need to be over a certan distance off the coast to make it & be going at a reasonable speed.  With ports every day this does not always allow enough time to make what they require.

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

The first time we cruised in 2012 we brought water on board.  The second time we cruised we purchased water on board.  Then I also heard that the ships water was not just potable but palatable so, since then we bring our own Tupperware water bottles with us and drink the free water available in our cabin or from a dispenser in the buffet.  We drink filtered tap water at home and this is no different.

However according to chenkp75, a Chief Engineer who regularly posts facts about various aspects of cruise ships, chorine is added to the ship's water to ensure it is safe to drink after circulating through the ship's reticulation system. Apparently the amount of chlorine can be higher than home supplies. I certainly notice it and find it unpalatable. 

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I was told that it costs less to bunker water than to make it, unless the ship is underway and that’s why they bunker most ports, to replenish what has been used while in port.

I'd believe it.

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

I prefer the water from the iced water dispensers rather than the bathroom tap (which tastes slightly different and also warm).

As an aside.....on Canberra many years ago we missed several ports on the way out from Southampton to Sydney due to recurring breakdowns and the ship nearly ran out of water,

Captains recommendation to save water was to shower with a friend.:classic_happy:

1 minute ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

As an aside.....on Canberra many years ago we missed several ports on the way out from Southampton to Sydney due to recurring breakdowns and the ship nearly ran out of water,

Captains recommendation to save water was to shower with a friend.:classic_happy:

I suppose that may work for many but my wife would get jealous.

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Apparently the amount of chlorine can be higher than home supplies. I certainly notice it and find it unpalatable. 

I don't notice that but if you chill it in the fridge within the cabin, the chlorinated taste will probably disappear.  A good quality spirit will also help.  😁

30 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

A man in uniform is pretty irresistible to some and a man out of uniform more so.  Perhaps he had an alterior motive?

33 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I prefer the water from the iced water dispensers rather than the bathroom tap (which tastes slightly different and also warm).

Point taken but it is an option and, let's face it, disposable plastic bottles are such a concern environmentally.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I think that’s more to do with the temperature, I drink a lot of water, happybwith it at room temp at home but on a ship it really does need to be cold.

48 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

A man in uniform is pretty irresistible to some and a man out of uniform more so.  Perhaps he had an alterior motive?

LOL, when they said showering with a friend, I was not thinking of any males. Each to their own.

5 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I think that’s more to do with the temperature, I drink a lot of water, happybwith it at room temp at home but on a ship it really does need to be cold.

Agreed, when chilled it is much more drinkable.

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

I don't notice that but if you chill it in the fridge within the cabin, the chlorinated taste will probably disappear.  A good quality spirit will also help.  😁

Yes, it's OK chilled. I can drink a little of the iced water when it's served at meals but after the ice has melted I start noticing the chlorine taste. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I'm looking into getting one of those filter jugs for when we do the 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. Impossible to use bottled water on that length cruise and I need to remove the chlorine taste for my bedside water bottle - I do use a sipper bottle for that as I've "drowned' myself too many times in the past using a glass when I'm half asleep. Besides the glasses are tiny. I can drink a litre of water in one night if I'm having a restless night.

After fourteen cruises I can honestly say I have never noticed a chlorine smell in ship water, and I have sensitive olfactory nerves. If it does bother just leave your bottle open in the fridge overnight and any chlorine should dissipate into the atmosphere.  This is why you have to keep adding chlorine to swimming pools.

56 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I'm looking into getting one of those filter jugs for when we do the 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise. Impossible to use bottled water on that length cruise and I need to remove the chlorine taste for my bedside water bottle - I do use a sipper bottle for that as I've "drowned' myself too many times in the past using a glass when I'm half asleep. Besides the glasses are tiny. I can drink a litre of water in one night if I'm having a restless night.

Mrs Gut has a filter bottle seems to work well. And yeah I wish the ships would buy some reasonable sized glasses.

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

After fourteen cruises I can honestly say I have never noticed a chlorine smell in ship water, and I have sensitive olfactory nerves. If it does bother just leave your bottle open in the fridge overnight and any chlorine should dissipate into the atmosphere.  This is why you have to keep adding chlorine to swimming pools.

That can help for the chlorine, I prefer to just add some ice.