Bermuda help

duhwitt

Hi all! I need some help...

We're planning a cruise to Bermuda.  It's a sea day/bermuda overnight/sea day back.  The thing is, I think 5 day cruises are too short in general, and even more so when I have to fly across the entire country to do so.

BUT

I like being on the water and moving.  We could do a 6 day which is sea day/bermuda/bermuda/bermuda/sea day.  Is there enough to do in Bermuda to stay occupied for 3 days? Or am I going to be sitting on my balcony, staring at the same scenery for 3 days?  

I have been looking for a B2B, a 4 day to add to the 5 day, and I'm not having much luck.  Thanks!

I lover Bermuda and have been there on several cruises, likely with around 10 days in port total.  Never ran out of things to do, and enjoyed exploring on my own schedule via public transit.  When I only have a few hours in  a port, it feels much more important to carefully plan everything, choose packaged trips or excursions, etc.

That said, @LHT28 is right it depends on what you want.  I think most people will be happy in Bermuda, but for details I'd suggest posting in the Bermuda forum (link below) and letting people know what you are looking for.  They can give you details on beaches, snorkeling, caves, zoos/aquariums/museums, shopping, sightseeing, and much more.

Also, "Being on the water" can have different meanings, but there are tons of ferries and sightseeing boats in Bermuda, so you may be able to enjoy the sea air and the view that way if you choose.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/118-bermuda/

What departure port are you thinking of sailing from?

Grandeur of the Seas, from Baltimore (BWI airport) has an occasional Bermuda cruise with an extra few days further south.  Grandeur also regularly alternates itineraries, so perhaps there is another you could do back-to-back with a short Bermuda one.

Our one and only HAL cruise was specifically so that we could spend 3 full days in Bermuda and dock at both ends of the island and downtown in the capital (big ships have to use Kings Wharf, which means a very indirect shuttle bus on land or a ferry across the bay to get to anywhere, and if you want to head to the other end of the island an even longer drive on tiny wee roads - Veendam was the biggest ship that could dock at St George and it turned out even it had too deep a draft so we had to tender in the end!)

We easily managed to fill our port days - and that's as pasty white people who detest sun and sand. If you actually enjoy beaches/watersports you could easily spend an entire week - Bermuda has a lot of interesting culture/historical buildings etc. I'd go so far as to say that you should be looking not just at overnight stays on the island, but for a small enough vessel it can at least dock in downtown Hamilton rather than King's Wharf so you don't waste an hour or more daily just getting to and from the ship.

do you enjoy exploring, water sports, snorkeling, touring around, beaches? If yes, then a 3 day Bermuda visit is the mimimum, IMHO. We spent a land week and found it to be our favorite island. If you are from the West coast, have you been to Hawaii? What did you do there? 

Bermuda has the following:

quaint St George with small sailing ship to explore (must be mobile), good resturants, shops, ruins of church-must take ferry, but, taxi-opposite side of island from major cruise port. also caves at mid-island

Hamilton-larger town-shops, restaurants, etc.

fabulous beaches, snorkeling, can also walk along shore/small upper cliffs of some (must be mobile)

Snorkel park near the port with beach chairs, music, bar, etc., shops near the port, ruins of fort near the port

We especially enjoyed just getting on a public bus and going from one end, hitting the beach/lunch and then back. Buses are very proper and drivers expect and enforce proper decorum on buses--you won't find loud, rude passengers or boom boxes on a Bermuda bus. Very safe. Ferry ride from port to St George is very nice also.

Edited by elaine5
  • Like 1

We had 3 days when we went last summer.  While we occupied our time it seemed a lot of stuff was more simplistic then the Caribbean.  No zip lining or the various monkey parks.  No eco-parks like you do on mainland Mexico from Cozumel.  No ATV type tours.