Talk to me about Duct/Grafers tape.

Just now, Bizmark'sMom said:

I've read that. Does it actually work?

Another use for duct tape - blisters. Put some gauze on the blister itself, duct tape over that. It sticks longer than bandaid do, and takes care of all of the friction issues.  Doesn't look so nice, but if the blister is bad, I don't care.

But if you use duct tape it may cause more blisters and then it will go on and on

6 minutes ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

If the blister issue goes on and on, it's time to toss the shoes and go with flip flops. Or barefoot.

Excellent, just make sure they have sparkles on the bands so you can wear them into the MDR.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chief93 said:

Gaffers tape does not leave residue on a surface when removed.  It is also ridiculously expensive.

It's only expensive relative to duct tape.

But when you want the properties of gaffer tape (fabric vs plastic, adhesive qualities) over duct tape, the cost becomes reasonable.

You get what you pay for.

1 hour ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I've read that. Does it actually work?

Another use for duct tape - blisters. Put some gauze on the blister itself, duct tape over that. It sticks longer than bandaid do, and takes care of all of the friction issues.  Doesn't look so nice, but if the blister is bad, I don't care.

I know a lot of blokes who swear by it for arthritic knees.

After being dropped off at airport, the handle of my rolling suitcase self destructed. Five minutes with the tape and I was set for the rest of the trip. 

If possible find a used roll with less than a 1/2" left. Step on it to flatten it and store in a packed shoe.

15 minutes ago, jlp20 said:

After being dropped off at airport, the handle of my rolling suitcase self destructed. Five minutes with the tape and I was set for the rest of the trip. 

If possible find a used roll with less than a 1/2" left. Step on it to flatten it and store in a packed shoe.

Is this so no one will steal it?   I take it you bring it and the shoe on your trip.:classic_tongue:

Duct tape is an old backpacker's packing must.  Covering blisters, tent fixes, taping flashlight to a tree or tent pole, putting on the toe of your boot for extra "waterproofing" pre-Goretex days...   I've always carried a little duct tape with me on my travels.  I keep a roll of it at my Front Desk at the hotel for a multitude of emergencies with hems, luggage, holding things together.   

we always take some gaffer tape :classic_biggrin:  over the years it has been used to emergency repair  a couple  broken suitcases, broken strap on walking sandals,  repair ripped waterproof jacket, secure cabinet drawer when travelling with toddler and repair prescription sunglasses.

I wonder if they do a travel-size WD40?  Lots of times we’ve had a squeaky bathroom door or cabin door.  I’ve fixed it with soap or a little shampoo, but sometimes it has to be done again in a few days.  

If you use it for arthritis, do you just spray the sore joint with it?  I’m not sure I’d want to smell like WD40 all day, though.

I only brought duct duct tape on a cruise once, because I’d read about the connecting doors on Costa, in case of smoking neighbours in the days when smoking in the cabins was allowed.  We taped all around the connecting door, and it really helped.  Now I bring a couple of magnetic clips for curtains and things like that.  When not in use, I can stick them to the wall.

10 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

I wonder if they do a travel-size WD40?  Lots of times we’ve had a squeaky bathroom door or cabin door.  I’ve fixed it with soap or a little shampoo, but sometimes it has to be done again in a few days.  

If you use it for arthritis, do you just spray the sore joint with it?  I’m not sure I’d want to smell like WD40 all day, though.

I only brought duct duct tape on a cruise once, because I’d read about the connecting doors on Costa, in case of smoking neighbours in the days when smoking in the cabins was allowed.  We taped all around the connecting door, and it really helped.  Now I bring a couple of magnetic clips for curtains and things like that.  When not in use, I can stick them to the wall.

Yep WD40 comes in a travel size

On 3/9/2019 at 5:07 PM, Kartgv said:

We've used it several times for luggage repair, a ripped hem, and once in very rough seas to tape some loose cabinet doors shut and extra hangars together to stop the banging.   

We survived a night years ago of closet doors and desk drawers slamming open and shut. 

I don't think that would happen today, but I’d have paid a lot to have duct tape that night.  

We always bring some sort of tape and we've used it for:

•      Repairing the hem on my dress
  •      Taping the cabin curtains shut when they tend to move (not all cabins/not all ships)
  •      Repairing my glasses
  •      On my first cruise, the air conditioner worked but it didn't deliver throughout the entire cabin, actually       it pretty much was cool on the ceiling and that was it so I built an air duct to deliver air down into the       actual cabin using duct tape (yes, I'm a girl)
  •      I've actually had to repair my rolling backpack (carries my snorkel equipment and my heavy wet               beach towel)
  •      Finally, we've used it to wrap liquor bottles purchased inside clothing or towels for the air trip home,         but I don't recommend duct tape for this one, maybe electrical tape!

On 3/9/2019 at 12:13 PM, 2wheelin said:

I just wrap several feet of it the long way around an old gift card (or hard plastic the size of a credit card) and slip it in my emergency items bag. Takes up no more room than a couple credit cards and have used it on occasion. Hem, tear in a back pack or luggage, shoe, purse strap. There are literally hundreds of uses. Could even tape down the shower curtain if you are one who has a problem being “attacked” by it. Lol

This is what I do.  A pencil or pen works well.

23 hours ago, lisiamc said:

Any oil will work.

A travel size baby oil or massage oil works fine.  Or some vegetable/olive oil from the salad bar.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Any oil will work.

A travel size baby oil or massage oil works fine.  Or some vegetable/olive oil from the salad bar.

Yep, just squeeze your room service lettuce over the hinge and presto, no more squeaks.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yep, just squeeze your room service lettuce over the hinge and presto, no more squeaks.

I was thinking to take something like a small to go cup, or a used coffee creamer container to put a bit of salad oil in. 😄

But feel free to include vinegar and spices.