Help with Colon Port Stop

handbellplayer

I have been reading the posts on this board, but I'm still confused about what to do during the Colon port stop on our PC cruise in October.  We are doing a full transit cruise (Miami to LA) on RCCL Vision of the Seas.  We want to learn as much about the Canal as possible.  The cruise line offers tours through the canal like this one:

"Board a local ferry and venture into the Panama Canal to experience the unforgettable sensation of crossing between two oceans in one day. Cruise through the Culebra Cut—the biggest structural challenge of the canal— all the way to the Pacific port. See the Pedro Miguel and Miraflores Locks, and travel beneath the Bridge of the Americas and the Centennial Bridge while listening to the important history of each of these engineering marvels. During your voyage, you will be treated to a lunch buffet and receive a commemorative certificate of participation."

But I've read remarks here like, "you're going through the canal on your ship (and we are, the next day), so why do you need an excursion that does the same thing?".  So if we take one of these excursions, will we learn more than we would just passing through on the ship, or should we take some other kind of excursion in Colon, like an eco-tour or Panama City tour?

9 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

But I've read remarks here like, "you're going through the canal on your ship (and we are, the next day), so why do you need an excursion that does the same thing?".  So if we take one of these excursions, will we learn more than we would just passing through on the ship, or should we take some other kind of excursion in Colon, like an eco-tour or Panama City tour?

Let me say first off that if you take the ferry excursion on your day in Colon you be covering some of the same ground (or water:classic_wink:) that you will cover on the transit of the Vision the next day.  I have no idea of your level of interest in the Canal, so for some it would just some repetition.  However, if you are real keen on the Canal then I don't think it would be a bad thing.  First of all during your transit there both on the ferry and the Vision there will a narration of what you are seeing.  There is a lot to absorb, so if you have a little repetition... that's not so bad, should just be some reinforcement.  Another reason for the ferry, it is a completely different experience transiting the Canal on a smaller vessel that on a large Panamax ship.  It gives you a completely different perspective.  No doubt for some, there would not be a huge added benefit and they would enjoy the stop in Panama more if they take one of the other major excursions offered.

There are some great excursions such as a visit to the Embera Indians, tours that take you to Casco Antigua (the old walled city of Panama) as well as a combination of tours that will take you to the new and old locks for shore side look at the operation.

Just an aside, if all goes as planned I will be on that sailing too! 

3 hours ago, BillB48 said:

Let me say first off that if you take the ferry excursion on your day in Colon you be covering some of the same ground (or water:classic_wink:) that you will cover on the transit of the Vision the next day.  I have no idea of your level of interest in the Canal, so for some it would just some repetition.  However, if you are real keen on the Canal then I don't think it would be a bad thing.  First of all during your transit there both on the ferry and the Vision there will a narration of what you are seeing.  There is a lot to absorb, so if you have a little repetition... that's not so bad, should just be some reinforcement.  Another reason for the ferry, it is a completely different experience transiting the Canal on a smaller vessel that on a large Panamax ship.  It gives you a completely different perspective.  No doubt for some, there would not be a huge added benefit and they would enjoy the stop in Panama more if they take one of the other major excursions offered.

There are some great excursions such as a visit to the Embera Indians, tours that take you to Casco Antigua (the old walled city of Panama) as well as a combination of tours that will take you to the new and old locks for shore side look at the operation.

Just an aside, if all goes as planned I will be on that sailing too! 

Thanks for the advice, Bill!  Look forward to meeting you on the ship.

Anne