Leave the blazer at home?

VT Hokie Cruiser

Why would he feel out of place, if he feels comfortable wearing what he wants to wear?  Is he ok with golf shirts? – blazer over golf shirt is a nice medium level that fits in everywhere.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 8:23 AM, Got2Cruise said:

Definitely leave the blazer home. We found that in Avalon some folks don’t even change out of their touring clothes. 

That provides me with a convincing argument as to why I will never choose Avalon.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 7:23 AM, Got2Cruise said:

Definitely leave the blazer home. We found that in Avalon some folks don’t even change out of their touring clothes. We ourselves take a shower and change before dinner. 

We've sailed both Avalon and Viking (also Vantage) multiple times, and I didn't see any significant difference on how people dressed for dinner. Avalon was the only one that made a clear statement that shorts were not acceptable for dinner.

18 hours ago, badtwin said:

Will my DH feel out of place with blazer on Viking?  He was going to take one in case the dining room was chilly.  Not a sweater guy and sweatshirt or fleece pullover seems too casual.  

No...  if he wants to wear one, wear it...  He will most likely be in the minority - but doubt he would be the only one wearing one.  It is nice IMHO that you don't have to dress for dinner... of course, there are many who aren't happy with the casual approach to dinner wear (see the post by Mozfoz above) so they have an option to choose to sail with a company that encourages a more formal approach to dinner attire.  For us - don't like being told what I can (and cannot wear) while on vacation. 

Fran

• Like 1

I’m certainly in the minority but I always travel to Europe with a blazer, although I never visit in the hot months of July and August. I’ve taken a blazer on all my European cruises (Uniworld and Emerald) but didn’t wear it every evening. There were always other men wearing blazers or jackets but most didn’t. It’s just a personal thing with me in that I often feel more comfortable with a blazer than say a sweater.  But anyone who doesn’t wish to do so will be among the majority. 

Just want to point out that on my last (and only so far) River Cruise on the Rhine with Crystal, nobody wore jackets on the ship.  HOWEVER, there were a few evening excursions to Michelin star restaurants, etc. that a jacket was required for.  We didn't participate in these, however I just thought I'd share that.  Personally, for us, NO JACKETS, but we travel quite light with two small carry ons.

2 hours ago, corpkid said:

Just want to point out that on my last (and only so far) River Cruise on the Rhine with Crystal, nobody wore jackets on the ship.  HOWEVER, there were a few evening excursions to Michelin star restaurants, etc. that a jacket was required for.  We didn't participate in these, however I just thought I'd share that.  Personally, for us, NO JACKETS, but we travel quite light with two small carry ons.

You can always wear the jackets onto the plane and then either hang them up or fold into overhead space. That’s what hubby does. 

1 minute ago, Got2Cruise said:

You can always wear the jackets onto the plane and then either hang them up or fold into overhead space. That’s what hubby does. 

We have done that and will do that when a jacket is required (that we know about) or if it's colder out.  We tend to hop around a bunch before and/or after a cruise (e.g. 2 days, 2 days there, etc.) and find lugging the coat around (in the summer) can be quite uncomfortable. But that's just us.  You'd think being Floridians we'd be used to the heat.  🙂