What to expect to spend?

I’m going on my honeymoon cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway for a week long cruise and was curious how much people tend to spend once they actually leave on the cruise.

The cruise itself is already paid for, along with the beverage package and I prepaid the gratuities.

So not including any of that, how much should I budget to bring with for my wife and I to spend on the ship and in ports?

I realize everyone has different spending habits, but I don’t want to end up out of money half way through the cruise!

So what do you always budget for? What do you find unnecessary? Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I always set up a budget and try to stay within the budget. I use a little pocket notebook and have a page dedicated to each budget item so I can keep track of spending each day. (I've used the same notebook for all of our cruises so it's like a mini cruise diary for expenses). So I'll budget something like $150 for photos from the photo department, an amount for souvenirs, etc. So really it is all based on what you want to spend your money on and since you've prepaid everything the rest is discretionary. All of your onboard expenses will go on your cabin account which will be secured by a credit card or cash deposit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

I always set up a budget and try to stay within the budget. I use a little pocket notebook and have a page dedicated to each budget item so I can keep track of spending each day. (I've used the same notebook for all of our cruises so it's like a mini cruise diary for expenses). So I'll budget something like $150 for photos from the photo department, an amount for souvenirs, etc. So really it is all based on what you want to spend your money on and since you've prepaid everything the rest is discretionary. All of your onboard expenses will go on your cabin account which will be secured by a credit card or cash deposit.

Both my (soon to be) wife and I bartend for a living, so we’re going to be using cash deposit on our account for everything. I’m just concerned about not bringing enough with us for on board and in port expenses.

I used to work on a cruise ship, so I’m familiar with cruising from that side. Expenses and things to do with the passenger side, I am honestly at a loss

6 minutes ago, Lynessawilliams said:

Both my (soon to be) wife and I bartend for a living, so we’re going to be using cash deposit on our account for everything. I’m just concerned about not bringing enough with us for on board and in port expenses.

I used to work on a cruise ship, so I’m familiar with cruising from that side. Expenses and things to do with the passenger side, I am honestly at a loss

Makes sense. We always buy certain souvenirs and so we have an idea of how much we'll be spending on those (I usually get a coffee cup and we normally get a magnet from each port). We always get the boarding photo and one of the formal shots. The guideline seems to be bring half the clothes you expect to wear and twice the money. Once you've set up your on board account you can add to it, if you don't want to tie up all of your cash. 

We  do not buy the ships photos 

if you plan to use the Spa  then look up the costs before you  that will give you an idea

Have $ to tip the porters at the dock

taxi fare to/from the ship unless you are driving then you need parking fee

are you planning on doing tours ?

Maybe $50 pp pd    if you spend less  then you will have money left over  if not well you will need to adjust as you go along

I set money aside  for the taxis ..before we leave & any private tours I have booked   then I know it is taken care of

YMMV

On 3/11/2019 at 4:26 AM, Lynessawilliams said:

I’m going on my honeymoon cruise on the Norwegian Breakaway for a week long cruise and was curious how much people tend to spend once they actually leave on the cruise.

The cruise itself is already paid for, along with the beverage package and I prepaid the gratuities.

So not including any of that, how much should I budget to bring with for my wife and I to spend on the ship and in ports?

I realize everyone has different spending habits, but I don’t want to end up out of money half way through the cruise!

So what do you always budget for? What do you find unnecessary? Any tips and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

You can actually have a great time on a cruise and never spend a penny beyond the cost.  Many people love the specialty coffees, photos, alcohol and gambling. I can do without any of those costs.  But it's your honeymoon so the photos might be a big deal for you.  Would you be interested in a couples massage?  Those little touches might be worth it for this special trip.  You can figure out the costs of these things before you leave and put them in your budget. 

Most 1st timers spend about 1/2 of what the fare is on the "extras"....excursions are particularly expensive....then there are the photos they are always taking, jewelry sales, bingo, gambling, alcohol that isn't covered by the "package", spa, etc......you certainly don't HAVE to buy ANYTHING extra...but most 1st timers will.  Just be aware of the "add-ons" and be prepared to say "No"!

You can do almost everything ashore on your own, without ANY excursions...but you MUST do research prior to the trip, so you know what you want to do, and how to do it!  The Caribbean is especially easy to DIY.....but read up on your ports!

• 2 weeks later...

Most of your extra expense will come from souvenirs and excursions. If you book any excursions in advance, then think about how much you normally spend on souvenirs. Also, consider food while off the ship. On a 7 day cruise, I usually spend around $1000, if that helps any. That is for a family of 4. 

• 2 weeks later...

I find it is real easy to buy and it goes on your S&S card, so my expenses were deoderant in the gift shop since hubby forgot his, bingo, slot tournament fee, and the going aboard picture.  Then liquor to bring home because the gift shop had a sale and then I realized that cigarettes were so much cheaper on board than at home so I added those to my account as well.   Spent more than I had planned, but now I know for the next time! 

I usually try to budget 100/day per person. If it was my honeymoon I'd probably splurge a bit more at the spa and specialty dining 🙂 I like to spend my vacation cash on excursions, a nice lunch of local cuisine, and a few drinks.

first off, congrats on getting married!

You took care of the big stuff which is the gratuities and the drink package. I have lived off of tips before so I am a good tipper and usually give more to the bartenders who serve me and to the waiter, assistant waiter and cabin steward. Sounds like you guys might be like that as well.

There are 2 reasons I book all of my excursions thru the ship. first is I can pay it off before we leave and secondly they wont leave you behind if you are held up for some reason. I did a private excursion in st kitts once and we were late getting back to the ship. literally running down the dock. I have anxiety issues so I will never do it again.

so plan on 100-150 a day. You may want to gamble, get pictures, or get a massage. Also if your wife likes to shop there are good deals on board and in ports. I stock up on perfume and booze on board because it is always cheaper than at the stores at home. But it still adds up.

When we took our first cruise last year, our expense account totaled up to a whooping $8. One deck of cards and a magnet. We had downloaded walking tour suggestions for our ports, prepaid gratuities and alcohol, brought our own camera, and committed to loving the included things. And we did! There is SO much already included.