Flam railway help

Hello,

I am going on my first cruise in June to the Fjords.

My last stop is Flam and I would love to take the train but i dont want to do the cruise excursion, I would just rather go on our own.

I found the last train available which was 8:35am which I prefer because Im hoping it will be quiet (there are 3 cruise ships in the Flam port the same time as us)

My question is that our cruise docks at 8am, is this enough time to catch the 8:35 Flam railway?

Thank you very much for any advice.

With three ships in port if there are seats available on the 8.35am it suggests the ship operator hasn't booked excursions on that departure as they know how long it takes to get off ship.

If its a tender it takes time from tie up at the buoy to preparing the tenders and lowering them to the water.  The ship doors then have to be opened and prepared.

I know you don't want a tour, but Norway in a Nutshell from Flam is an excellent full day out.

Is your issue that you can't reserve seats for individual?  We ran into that issue on our cruise.  In the roll call thread one of the guys got a group together and bought group tickets.  Before we left he said he'd be at the Meet & Mingle and we should go to pay him and get our tickets.  Worked out great.  You might want to check if something like that is being done on your cruise.  It was nice to do the early one so we had time to do other stuff in Flam.  Beautiful town. 

I also want to experience the railway when I am in Flam in June.  I'm tempted to go with the cruise ship's "Railways and Waffles" tour, but can save $$ if I book the railway on my own.  Anyone know how good the waffles actually are?  I am unsure of logistics of stopping for the waffles ourselves - as it is the second to last stop, and then you have to catch the train to Myrdal and then return from there.

14 minutes ago, kas97 said:

I also want to experience the railway when I am in Flam in June.  I'm tempted to go with the cruise ship's "Railways and Waffles" tour, but can save $$ if I book the railway on my own.  Anyone know how good the waffles actually are?  I am unsure of logistics of stopping for the waffles ourselves - as it is the second to last stop, and then you have to catch the train to Myrdal and then return from there.

don't d o it!

we were in a private group where caught same train as ship excursion passengers

there was a delay on way up because most of track is single and there is a crossover point half way up where have to wait for downward train which was late

the second to last stop is a hotel where waffles are served

ship excursioners got off there and would have an hour there before catching next train back

there was a crowd of people waiting to board train who had been on previous train and  already had their waffles

this was end May and very cold -snow still piled up on platform this high up mountain

they looked very fed up bearing in mind train was at least 10 mins late

they were even more fed up when they were not allowed to board our train up to last stop of Myrdal but had to wait for it to return from the top

we were all congratulating ourselves on going private and hoped that expensive waffle was worth it!

19 hours ago, kas97 said:

Just buy a waffle in Flåm. Or if you have a few minutes in Myrdal, I’m pretty sure they sell them at the station cafe.

For an excursion’s worth of people, they probably make the waffles ahead of time, which never be the greatest waffle in the world. Waffles are a pretty standard treat in Norway, but freshly-made are always the best.