GoPro Hero 7

Nice work with the new 7. I'm amazed at how good the audio is for such a small mic. I've been looking at those small & portable sliders. Looks like the price range is fairly wide. How is a person going to know what might work for the short clips. Any suggestions? I'm familiar with a guy (Tom Lowe) that uses a really large programmable one to do his time-lapse with a Red - lots of night time-lapse - Timescapes I think. All night stuff in cold weather.

Thanks! I have the travel size Edelkrone slider and use it along side with their app on my iPhone for controlling the speed. I usually set it to do a 10 second clip and then I speed it up to around 200% in post. I've never used it for time lapse. Speaking of time lapses the GoPro timewarp feature is GREAT! As you mentioned, the audio has also come a long way. All of the "natural audio" in my video came straight out of the GoPro. 

• 6 months later...
26 minutes ago, mrscarnival said:

Just got a GoPro Hero 7 Black,  both videos are excellent. What edit program or app did you use to make the videos? 

Hi There, I use Final Cut Pro X. Just finished another video a few days ago. Take a look…for this one it was combination of the Hero 7, Canon 80d and my Mavic Air. Hope you enjoy! 

• Like 1

I had subscribed to her YouTube channel months ago but never have received any notices. I know several times she has been asked about the drones but I've not seen a response to those questions. Chesneygirl has given me a number of tips as I'm a rank beginner using a video camera. She does fabulous work and must spend a great deal of time at the editing screen. I've enjoyed watching all of them. I suspect her gear bag is really full on her cruises. I've just begun using both Premiere Elements which will not edit HVEC, and CyberLink PowerDirector 365 which will. The learning curve, at least for me, has been steep.

59 minutes ago, masterdrago said:

I had subscribed to her YouTube channel months ago but never have received any notices. I know several times she has been asked about the drones but I've not seen a response to those questions. Chesneygirl has given me a number of tips as I'm a rank beginner using a video camera. She does fabulous work and must spend a great deal of time at the editing screen. I've enjoyed watching all of them. I suspect her gear bag is really full on her cruises. I've just begun using both Premiere Elements which will not edit HVEC, and CyberLink PowerDirector 365 which will. The learning curve, at least for me, has been steep.

Thanks for the high praise! :classic_smile:

If you click on the "bell" icon on my channel that should activate getting a notice whenever I upload a new video.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I am a real newbie with a camera. Just bought the GoPro 7 black. Planning on taking it out on walks so I can

learn how to use it easily. Been watching videos on YouTube so it doesn't look that hard (I hope).

I will not be posting on YouTube but the videos I hope to make will be for personal consumption.

What desk top program would you recommend for downloading and formatting? 

I have always loved your videos! You make them so enjoyable to watch.

1 hour ago, greenie082756 said:

Well I am a real newbie with a camera. Just bought the GoPro 7 black. Planning on taking it out on walks so I can

learn how to use it easily. Been watching videos on YouTube so it doesn't look that hard (I hope).

I will not be posting on YouTube but the videos I hope to make will be for personal consumption.

Depends on what you want to spend. There is some free stuff out there. Filmora9 is supposed to be good but I've never tried it. I began using Adobe Premier Elements (bundled w/PhotoShop Elements ~$100) but soon found it not compatible with some of the higher resolution (HVEC) video taken with the GoPro. I switched to CyberLink PowerDirector and found it equally easy to use as the Adobe product. It can handle everything that my GoPro 7 will dish out (W10 for the HVEC) and has a great support team and forum.  And Chesnygirl does exquisite professional work on everything she does. She uses Final Cut Pro X which I think is Mac only.

Edited by masterdrago
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, greenie082756 said:

I use Final Cut Pro X but there is a learning curve with this program and it's probably way more then you need based on what you want to do with your videos.

If you are just looking to do some "home movies' and not overly concerned about editing them into a story like video then I would export the files onto a thumb drive or any external storage that you might have to keep the clips organized.  Otherwise GoPro does have a user friendly editing software? I'm pretty sure it's free and there should be some literature about it that came with your Hero 7 purchase. 

I hope this helps! 

• Like 1

I was never able to get Quik for Desktop by GoPro to work correctly. It kept wanting me to install Apple QuikTime which seemed to be incompatible since Apple stopped support for the Windows version 3 years ago. Apparently the GoPro guys have not taken the hint. One other piece of software that gets good reviews and others say that even the free version has a lot of powerful features is Blackmagic Devinci Resolve. RedShark News and No Film School think highly of it. Hunt down their reviews.

I'm learning a lot more about the full capabilities of the 7 Black. I've also discovered that editing Full HD 240fps can be taxing on both the software and the processor. Most of the video in the link (over half) was shot using the 7 Black. Editing was done using CyberLink Power Director 365/18. The desktop is a Dell XPS 15 9570 32G i7-8750 1T SSD NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti  4GB GDDR5 video memory w4k touchscreen.

https://vimeo.com/364644771

2 hours ago, greenie082756 said:

Thank you both for your answers.

I am thinking that going with the GoPro editing software for a newbie should be good. 

BTW, Chesneygirl I love watching your videos! Thanks!

Thank you so much for the kind words!

Good luck with your editing. You will get frustrated as it will be a learning curve but don't give up if you get stuck. There are tons and tons of tutorials on Youtube that can help you. I relied heavily and still do on Youtube tutorials. I'd be lost without them! 

• Like 1