Singapore AirBbB vs Hotels

SakeDad

We are staying 5 days post cruise in Singapore. For hotel I really like Hotel 1929 room with a balcony. But most hotel rooms in Chinatown seem tiny! So I started looking at AirBnB as we have used them often and were happy. Finding some good places under $125usd a night and much bigger than hotel rooms.

Has anyone booked AirBnB in Singapore and how was your experience?

Thanks

I've only ever used AirBnB a couple of times, not in Singapore.

But the experience put me off, for systemic reasons......

The big reason is that until you've committed you will only know the neighbourhood, not the address,.

The anonymity of the actual address is understandable because too much information can easily lead to both parties by-passing AirBnB and its commission. But some neighbourhoods are large and very mixed - one end pleasant & convenient, the other end seedy.

The one we chose in Hawaii was no better than OK, and a long way from local facilities like restaurants & shops - without a car we'd have been stymied..

Our other AirBnB booking was in a small oceanfront development near Cairns, Australia.

One property in the development was offered by booking.com and another by AirBnB, so we were able to use booking.com to pinpoint the AirBnB one. And to check it out on google street-view. We booked the AirBnB one because it was so much nicer - and we weren't disappointed.

We found the AirBnB booking and confirmation system slow and clunky, and (most? / all?) bookings cancellable only within a 48-(?) hour period after booking and paying.

And the reviews of AirBnB properties also seemed to be almost-entirely positive - thus untrustworthy to a cynical person like JB.

As you doubtless know, AirBnB major on individual properties rather than hotels/motels, and mainly in or attached to the owner's dwelling.

For those who prefer B&B-type accommodation AirBnB is a godsend because it avoids a massive hunt around the internet.

But B&B isn't our scene,  and for properties available through other agencies we'll avoid AirBnB.

Can you figure what property it is? And if it's offered by other agencies?

Sorry, rather a negative post, but just telling you our experiences - clearly you have more-positive experiences with AirBnB.

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

I've never used Airbnb in Singapore and will be following as we are looking at a cruise next year out of Singapore. However, we love Airbnb and have used them many times around the world (San Diego, Stockholm, Helsinki & Hawaii) with one book for Orlando this October. 

My first question is if they are legal in Singapore as some cities have banned short term rentals. I'd Google that first as you don't want something cancelled and/or an eviction by authorities as part of your vacation. If it's legal I wouldn't have any reservations.

You can message the host and ask them what is the nearest metro station and how many blocks it is etc. I always want any reviews for that property and host. Also the system will leave a review on the host if they cancelled a reservation if they do so. Look to see if they cancel often. Also good pictures are always a must for me. If it look so like they took the pics on a wind up disposable camera then I'm out. 

I've never used Airbnb, for basically the same reasons as JB. When I'm on holiday, I want to know where I'm staying. There are loads of good (not too expensive) hotels in S'pore. We stayed at the Fairmont...central, on top of an MRT station, and mall, and food court! and 10 mins walk to the harbour front (by the Merlion), HOHO bus stop outside the front door. I don't mind paying a bit more for covenience over 'cheaper' rate...just my opinion!

Simon

I've never rented with airbnb but I've done vacation rentals through other companies - they always let you know where the property is

I think airbnb is more or less legal-ish in Singapore. The tenant is not penalized. But owners can only rent with building permission and only a certain number of days per year - the regulations have been changing.....

Edited by Hoyaheel

Thanks everyone. I ended up getting a terrace suite at Hotel 1929. All the talk online about Airbnb's being illegal and then some wanted to charge huge deposits, hard to get keys, etc I just feel a lot better getting an actual hotel. And since the suite came up for a great price and has loads of space we booked that. I will report back post-cruise to let you know how it worked out.