Anyone else nervous about flying 737-MAX this week?

Crusinsusan2

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yes, Air Canada has about 20 of them and West jet about 11 I think (not that I’ve looked 😉

Ann & Pat should be fine.  The planes are grounded.

I didn’t think they were coming back until the 25th though?  They finish the Grand, I think?

I would guess that to get home they need to be on Air Canada or WestJet.  I’ve been wrong before though 😉 They’ll be good.

Thanks Jacqui, I know they still have some time on the Elegant Explorer. 

9 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Thanks Jacqui, I know they still have some time on the Elegant Explorer. 

Yes, they do.  I’m jealous.  They tried to lure us and as tempting as it was, with out storms we would have never gotten out of here and Miko was too young to leave for me to be comfortable.  He was in his formative time and that’s not a good time to leave a puppy (even if he’s as big as a dog).

He’ll be fine by the time we go (I hope).  

The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) on Wednesday ordered 

to ground both the Boeing 737 Max 8 and 737 Max 9 models "as a result of the data gathering process and new evidence collected at the site and analyzed.

The grounding will remain in effect pending further investigation, including examination of information from the aircraft's flight data recorders and cockpit voice recorders," the FAA said.

President Trump earlier Wednesday said the FAA planned to announce that the jetliners would be "grounded upon landing" at their destinations. He said that both pilots and airlines have been notified.

"Any plane currently in the air will go to its destination and thereafter be grounded until further notice," Trump told reporters. "The safety of the American people, and all people, is our paramount concern."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kazu said:

They didn’t have a lot of choice with Canada grounding them earlier.  They had no air space to go to other than the U.S.

Huh? What about flying them to Mexico and the Carib? They don't all fly north you know :classic_cool:

• Like 1

From a USA Today article:

Southwest has 34 Max 8s in its fleet of more than 750 aircraft. American has 24 in its fleet of nearly 1,000 mainline aircraft. United has 14 Max 9s in its fleet of 779 mainline aircraft.

Sounds like this plane makes up only a small percentage of any US carriers fleet so hopefully accommodations can be made and travellers get where they are going safely without too much  difficulty. 

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Huh? What about flying them to Mexico and the Carib? They don't all fly north you know :classic_cool:

Well, I guess they can do that if they haven’t grounded them.  They can’t fly to Europe, London, South America, Australia or Asia as well as Canada so that is pretty limiting IMO.

In any case, they are all grounded now 😉 

• Haha 1

A big thank you to the two pilots for posting on this topic. 👏

If you don't think that there are political issues in the mix...the black boxes apparently are being sent to either Germany or Norway for analysis.  (I've read conflicting reports re the country.)

Personally, I have a dog in this race as I'm booked on an Air Canada Max 8 for the Calgary>Montreal leg of my trip to Fort Lauderdale...the flight isn't until mid-May so am hoping that everything will have sorted itself out by then.

4 minutes ago, Chinook Wind said:

A big thank you to the two pilots for posting on this topic. 👏

If you don't think that there are political issues in the mix...the black boxes apparently are being sent to either Germany or Norway for analysis.  (I've read conflicting reports re the country.)

Personally, I have a dog in this race as I'm booked on an Air Canada Max 8 for the Calgary>Montreal leg of my trip to Fort Lauderdale...the flight isn't until mid-May so am hoping that everything will have sorted itself out by then.

Germany says No because they can't do it

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany’s Federal Bureau of Aircraft Accident Investigation (BFU) said on Wednesday it will not analyse the black box from the Ethiopian Airlines passenger jet which crashed soon after taking off from Addis Ababa on Sunday.

“This is a new type of aircraft with a new black box, with new software. We can’t do it,” BFU spokesman Germout Freitag said.

A spokesman for Ethiopian Airlines had said earlier that the black boxes recovered from the crashed plane, a Boeing 737 MAX 8, would be sent to Germany for analysis.

A spokesman for France’s BEA accident investigation agency, speaking after Germany declined to examine the boxes, said it had still not been approached about assisting the investigation.

4 minutes ago, Chinook Wind said:

.the black boxes apparently are being sent to either Germany or Norway for analysis.

CTV News just said they are going to Europe or US. I suspect that Ethiopian authorities will choose based on who they think can best perform the analysis, not on some political basis.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fatcat04 said:

From a USA Today article:

Southwest has 34 Max 8s in its fleet of more than 750 aircraft. American has 24 in its fleet of nearly 1,000 mainline aircraft. United has 14 Max 9s in its fleet of 779 mainline aircraft.

Sounds like this plane makes up only a small percentage of any US carriers fleet so hopefully accommodations can be made and travellers get where they are going safely without too much  difficulty. 

Southwest is probably going to be hit hardest, seeing how they are having other issues with maintenance and maintenance crews...

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

CTV News just said they are going to Europe or US. I suspect that Ethiopian authorities will choose based on who they think can best perform the analysis, not on some political basis.

France’s air accident investigation agency BEA will analyse black-box flight recorders from a Boeing 737 MAX 8.

The BEA is one of the world’s most active air crash agencies alongside the National Transportation Safety Board of the United States and has laboratories at its Le Bourget headquarters.

22 hours ago, VTcruisenut said:

We are booked on a return flight from Fort Lauderdale on the 23rd and I was concerned as our reservation says Boeing 737-800 but someone I worked with looked it up (he found a link somewhere) and said our flight wasn't a 737-MAX 8 and that United Airlines doesn't fly those planes.  It still makes me nervous!

Please understand that a 737-800 and a 737-MAX8 are two completely different aircraft, and no, United does not currently fly any 737-MAX8's