Suggestions for Puerto Quetzal? (We've already been to Antigua)

Turtles06

My wife and I will be on a Panama Canal cruise next year that has a port call in Puerto Quetzal.  We also stopped at Puerto Quetzal on our first cruise through the Canal a couple of years ago, and spent that day in Antigua (doing the ship's "Antigua on your Own" tour), which was wonderful.  Now I'm wondering what we might do on this second visit to Puerto Quetzal (especially since research on this port mostly comes up with the good advice to visit Antigua).

From what I could see on our drive to and from Antigua, there did not seem to be much in Puerto Quetzal itself.  If anyone has any suggestions or advice about what to do in Puerto Quetzal on this second visit, I'd very much appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

My wife and I will be on a Panama Canal cruise next year that has a port call in Puerto Quetzal.  We also stopped at Puerto Quetzal on our first cruise through the Canal a couple of years ago, and spent that day in Antigua (doing the ship's "Antigua on your Own" tour), which was wonderful.  Now I'm wondering what we might do on this second visit to Puerto Quetzal (especially since research on this port mostly comes up with the good advice to visit Antigua).

From what I could see on our drive to and from Antigua, there did not seem to be much in Puerto Quetzal itself.  If anyone has any suggestions or advice about what to do in Puerto Quetzal on this second visit, I'd very much appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

On one of our two stops in Puerto Quetzal this year we did an excursion to a macadamia nut farm that turned out to be more interesting than I expected it to be. It is a long drive from the port though...probably about three quarters of the distance to Antigua.

My wife and I are drawing blanks on what we did on the other port call. :classic_unsure: When we remember I'll tell you.

Wait...I think I have it! 💡 We went to a drive-through safari park. Also fun. You could get out and feed the giraffes at one stop. The bizarre part of taking this excursion is that we've lived for decades just  a short drive from one of the largest safari parks in the country and never even thought about going there.

We also went to Antigua a couple of years ago on our first visit to Guatemala and decided there was no need to return.

Now we have to figure out what to do on our upcoming 2020 cruises...which include the one you're on.

Edited by njhorseman

18 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Now we have to figure out what to do on our upcoming 2020 cruises...which include the one you're on.

Indeed, I recognize your name from the Roll Call. :classic_smile: (I think we were also on the same Gem sailing a number of years ago, possibly to Bermuda.) Thanks for the information above! 

(Not to get OT here on my own thread, but I know we are going to have the same issue in Corinto, which was also a port on our prior Canal cruise, and where I did the one obvious highlight, which was to go to León to see the Cathedral.  This time it might be a “sea day” for us.) 

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

Indeed, I recognize your name from the Roll Call. :classic_smile: (I think we were also on the same Gem sailing a number of years ago, possibly to Bermuda.) Thanks for the information above! 

(Not to get OT here on my own thread, but I know we are going to have the same issue in Corinto, which was also a port on our prior Canal cruise, and where I did the one obvious highlight, which was to go to León to see the Cathedral.  This time it might be a “sea day” for us.) 

Yes,  we were definitely on at least one previous sailing. I seem to recall talking to you while we were on line waiting for the security checkpoint to open. 

We have the same problem in every port...multiple previous visits . Good thing we have the better part of a year to figure it out.

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Yes,  we were definitely on at least one previous sailing. I seem to recall talking to you while we were on line waiting for the security checkpoint to open. 

I do recall that.  We were all the early birds in Manhattan. :classic_smile:  It will be nice to see you again. 

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, LLWS_Uncle_Rick said:

Well, you have had 9 months to figure out what to  do.  So what did you decide to do?

LOL at this thread, we are all on the same cruise.  😃

We've decided to visit Antigua again.  Wander around, have a nice lunch.  

See you on board soon!