Bermuda Snorkel Excursion vs Beach Snorkel

fscool

We are in Bermuda on Anthem in July 2019.  The time in port is 8am-4pm.  We are most likely going to do a smaller snorkel excursion but it runs from 10am-1:30pm.   But I am also trying to maximize my time in port and this excursion time sort of messes with that since it is right square in the middle.  The kids and I care more about seeing the sea life while snorkeling than the coral to be honest.  The question I have is whether there is any beach snorkeling that could rival a smaller snorkel excursion where they take you out to blue hole and/or about 6 miles off shore.  In other words, is the excursion option going to be that much better than going off the beach (provided the beach water conditions are safe)?

On 3/13/2019 at 3:38 PM, fscool said:

We are in Bermuda on Anthem in July 2019.  The time in port is 8am-4pm.  We are most likely going to do a smaller snorkel excursion but it runs from 10am-1:30pm.   But I am also trying to maximize my time in port and this excursion time sort of messes with that since it is right square in the middle.  The kids and I care more about seeing the sea life while snorkeling than the coral to be honest.  The question I have is whether there is any beach snorkeling that could rival a smaller snorkel excursion where they take you out to blue hole and/or about 6 miles off shore.  In other words, is the excursion option going to be that much better than going off the beach (provided the beach water conditions are safe)?

I've seen more fish right off the beach than on the on excursion we took. Have you considered renting a small boat from H20. Their are some small island near by you can pull up on. Plenty of fish and other things to see

https://www.h2osportsbermuda.com

• 2 weeks later...

We thoroughly enjoyed a catamaran snorkel trip right on the cruise dock.   I believe it was a 2-3 hour trip, sailed/motored out about 20 minutes, dropped anchor and snorkeled.   Probably 20 other people were on the boat.     snorkel and fins provided, as well as paddleboards!  And other tiny toys.    The kids had a blast jumping off the front of the catamaran!  This particular boat served rum swizzles on the way back, included in price.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm used to the snorkeling water in Tahiti and Hawaii where it's like bath water. How cold is the water in Bermuda?

Bermuda water temps are warm in the summer. I looked up water temp in Tahiti and Hawaii. Tahiti the water temp averages about 85 degrees all year. So July, August and September Bermuda temps are similar to Tahiti. Hawaii runs between 79 and 84. Bermuda temp is in the Hawaii range from June thru October. In the the months of May and November about 73.

I looked up bath tub temp and 100 degrees was suggested...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I looked up bath tub temp and 100 degrees was suggested...

Ha-ha! Guess it's going to be too chilly in April. My husband is cold when water is below 80*. Brrrrrrrr. Thanks so much for your help.:)

Ha-ha! Guess it's going to be too chilly in April. My husband is cold when water is below 80*. Brrrrrrrr. Thanks so much for your help.:)

My point of the water being too chilly is below 75* so I don’t book Bermuda anymore before June 7. The last time I went earlier than that was a cruise the last week of May and I lasted less than 10 minutes snorkeling at Tobacco Bay before giving up. The was Brrr for me. April would be freezing to me. Some people can swim in Bermuda in May and maybe earlier but I am not one of those. This year I am going in August and I am looking forward to warm water

Nah- this cruise is an Oceania transatlantic and trying to find ways of increasing husband's interest. He's done one before that didn't include Bermuda. Don't have much choice on a transatlantic except choose to go April or October. We go to Tahiti or Hawaii every year and there we can snorkel everywhere. Bermuda is not the focus of this trip. Just thought I could entice husband with snorkeling. Italy is where it ends up and that will be our focus.

Thanks so much.

• 3 months later...
On 3/31/2019 at 5:46 PM, GeminiBy4 said:

We thoroughly enjoyed a catamaran snorkel trip right on the cruise dock.   I believe it was a 2-3 hour trip, sailed/motored out about 20 minutes, dropped anchor and snorkeled.   Probably 20 other people were on the boat.     snorkel and fins provided, as well as paddleboards!  And other tiny toys.    The kids had a blast jumping off the front of the catamaran!  This particular boat served rum swizzles on the way back, included in price.

Do you remember who this was through?

Just did hat-trick for snorkelling.  Reasonable price.  Excellent captain.  Only 5 on ours.  Max is 12 people.  Sail out about 6+ miles offshore to Blue hole.  Leaves from mangrove Bay harbour in Somerset.  

On 3/13/2019 at 3:38 PM, fscool said:

was wondering what you ended up doing for your July 2019 trip to Bermuda.  hope you had fun!