RCCL cancelled cruise--SO MAD

We received notice today from our travel agent that RCCL regrettably cancelled our cruise on the Symphony of the Seas for Feb 1, 2020.  We booked 12 balcony cabins in a row back in January 2018 onboard the Oasis for this Feb 1 cruise.  The notice states that they have rented out the ship for a private party.  Our travel agent is working hard to get us booked on another cruise during that month but can't find any that have 12 balcony cabins in a row.  See this is why we book 2 years in advance, so we can have this.  If we rebook, they will give each of us $100 onboard credit.  Has anyone had this happen to them before?  Did you get a better offer to rebook?

I have a feeling that with the Super Bowl on February 2, 2020 that many ships leaving out of Miami will have the same fate. So sorry this has happened to you. I too would be upset. Note to those who may sail around Super Bowl time, take a peak at where the game will be. In 2020, it is Miami.

• Like 2

Wow, I am so sorry to hear your story! To have booked so far in advance and have this happen is crushing news. I sincerely hope you find alternative plans for a vacation together. 

This...sucks....I often book multiple cabins in a row for my extended family and to have this happen would be horrible.

I feel your pain after so much planning...and hope something works out for all of you.

So sorry this happened to you. I doubt you will be able to get all 12 in a row at this point especially since so many people are already rebooking. Oasis was also chartered for the same weekend out of Miami. It's possible that these ships are being used as hotels for Superbowl. The other itineraries will start to fill up fast.

Just an FYI in case anyone in your group is easily offended - the Feb 15, 2020 cruise on Symphony has a large group on there called the Gay Bears. You can youtube it to find videos. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this group just that some people would not be happy with some of the behavior especially families with young children.

27 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

So sorry this happened to you. I doubt you will be able to get all 12 in a row at this point especially since so many people are already rebooking. Oasis was also chartered for the same weekend out of Miami. It's possible that these ships are being used as hotels for Superbowl. The other itineraries will start to fill up fast.

Just an FYI in case anyone in your group is easily offended - the Feb 15, 2020 cruise on Symphony has a large group on there called the Gay Bears. You can youtube it to find videos. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this group just that some people would not be happy with some of the behavior especially families with young children.

I'm guessing the Gay Bears will behave better than a lot of regular straight cruisers. Kids probably won't even notice unless it is brought to their attention.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

My transatlantic was canceled due to dry dock plans Royal said. I was offered a choice between two other transatlantic cruises for the same price. Both were longer, therefore they represented a better value, however, one of them was on a much smaller ship which did not have Promenade cabins, so I was offered an interior cabin. I turned that down immediately and booked the other cruise offered on a slightly smaller ship which did have a Promenade cabin, however. 

Sorry this happened.  It is a risk with cruise vacations that we all hope won't happen to us (it did to us once).

Best thing to do is let go of the anger and move on to find something else if you still want to cruise.  And accept the fact you probably won't find 12 cabins in a row. And the sooner the better.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

We had our early Feb. 2019 cruise on Allure of the Seas cancelled maybe about 9 months out due to it being chartered out.  None of the alternatives they offered were comparable so we took their $400 onboard credit to book a more expensive trip on Harmony of the Seas.  I was mad that they wouldn't do some sort of better price matching as I had written down the price of Harmony the same time as we booked Allure and prices had definitely gone up.  I even called and talked to a manager and they were not willing to budge.  Now our friends who booked shortly before the cancellation actually came out ahead because of the obc.  Like someone else mentioned I'm surprised you're only being offered $100.  I'm thinking early Feb. is a popular time for chartering ships unfortunately.

We had also booked 2 Feb on Oasis while we were on the Symphony a couple weeks ago.   The RCCL rep said they would honor the price we booked BUT only a few dates and the itineraries were not going to the same ports.   We ended up rebooking for March...had to pay an increase in price.   We had such a great cruise a couple weeks ago, we wanted to have another winter cruise...so we just accepted the fate.   They offered $200 OBC but took away a $75 OBC which we had from a next cruise booking.   I guess they are not hurting for bookings...and if we want to go...we have to adjust to the new reality.   I hope others who were dropped find a suitable cruise date and price.   

2 minutes ago, CRUIS4ME said:

We had also booked 2 Feb on Oasis while we were on the Symphony a couple weeks ago.   The RCCL rep said they would honor the price we booked BUT only a few dates and the itineraries were not going to the same ports.   We ended up rebooking for March...had to pay an increase in price.   We had such a great cruise a couple weeks ago, we wanted to have another winter cruise...so we just accepted the fate.   They offered $200 OBC but took away a $75 OBC which we had from a next cruise booking.   I guess they are not hurting for bookings...and if we want to go...we have to adjust to the new reality.   I hope others who were dropped find a suitable cruise date and price.   

I had a booking cancelled for a dry dock.  We were actually supposed to cruise this Saturday.  Our cabin was sold out on each of the cruises they price protected with the same itinerary.  We had used a next cruise certificate to book it.  At first they told me my certificate was now out of date and they would not honor the OBC.  We kept escalating and they finally gave the OBC back.  Do not accept the loss of the $75 OBC.  

We were also very disappointed.  We had to take a much inferior cabin for the same amount of money.  The kicker is we recently got an offer to bid on the same type of cabin were originally had booked. 

I feel your pain. We are over it now and looking forward to our cruise.  . . . You have to let it go.  

I’m booked on Adventure out of Fort Lauderdale on 2/1. we have watched the Super Bowl on several cruises and love that, but had no idea it was in Miami this year. I feel horrible for those who have been canceled and hope you can find another good alternative! My first thought was I hope they don’t cancel ours too, but just realized that even if they don’t, that airfare may be unaffordably high for us since we planned on flying down Thursday night from Boston. Any experience or thoughts on that?

6 minutes ago, Mullwi said:

I’m booked on Adventure out of Fort Lauderdale on 2/1. we have watched the Super Bowl on several cruises and love that, but had no idea it was in Miami this year. I feel horrible for those who have been canceled and hope you can find another good alternative! My first thought was I hope they don’t cancel ours too, but just realized that even if they don’t, that airfare may be unaffordably high for us since we planned on flying down Thursday night from Boston. Any experience or thoughts on that?

I would book that TODAY!! and then buy some trip insurance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueridgemama said:

I'm guessing the Gay Bears will behave better than a lot of regular straight cruisers. Kids probably won't even notice unless it is brought to their attention.

Maybe so. I just remember a thread on here a few years ago where people were quite upset by some of the behavior on one of those cruises. The videos I saw is not something I’d want my children to see. That sort of behavior from anyone is not appropriate in public. I personally wouldn’t want to be on a cruise with a large group of any kind as they tend to take over areas of the ship so I’d want to avoid them. 

• Like 2

We are returning from Symphony on February 1, 2020.  I"m sure the charter has to do with Super Bowl Sunday.  Miami and traffic is going to be an absolute  madhouse when we return. So very sorry that you had this cruise cancelled. Surprised that  OBC of only $100 per cabin was offered.  RCCL must have gotten a pile of $$ to charter that week. 

5 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

Group has Chartered the Largest  Royal ships for years, it's nothing new with their Group only and always been all Adult Cruise. 

Edited by ONECRUISER

10 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Group has Chartered the Largest  Royal ships for years, it's nothing new with their Group only and always been all Adult Cruise. 

The ones I’ve seen are just large groups on regular cruises. Usually 500-900 of them. And they are on Symphony sailing February 15, 2020 and that’s not a charter. 

Edited by The Sunset Glow