RCCL cancelled cruise--SO MAD

3 hours ago, The Sunset Glow said:

Maybe so. I just remember a thread on here a few years ago where people were quite upset by some of the behavior on one of those cruises. The videos I saw is not something I’d want my children to see. That sort of behavior from anyone is not appropriate in public. I personally wouldn’t want to be on a cruise with a large group of any kind as they tend to take over areas of the ship so I’d want to avoid them. 

So I just went on youtube to see if I could find videos about this gay bear cruise like what you're describing.

What I'm seeing on there is a bunch of adult men just...existing. There's no overt PDA, not anymore than what you might normally see on a cruise. Looks like a bunch of guys enjoying themselves. What inappropriate behavior did you see in these videos, exactly, because I'm not coming across anything.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, QueenofKrakatoa said:

So I just went on youtube to see if I could find videos about this gay bear cruise like what you're describing.

What I'm seeing on there is a bunch of adult men just...existing. There's no overt PDA, not anymore than what you might normally see on a cruise. Looks like a bunch of guys enjoying themselves. What inappropriate behavior did you see in these videos, exactly, because I'm not coming across anything.

Ok im sorry I even said anything. It was not my intention to take over this thread. I just wanted to mention the large group on one of the alternate cruises offered. SOME people will be uncomfortable sailing with this group. That’s all. If you’re not, then great, go for it. I just remember a thread or two and a lot of unhappy people that were on it. I also remember a video I saw that I thought had inappropriate behavior in a public area IMO -  maybe it’s no longer on YouTube, I don’t know.

I did a quick search and found one thread from last year here 

51 minutes ago, The Sunset Glow said:

The ones I’ve seen are just large groups on regular cruises. Usually 500-900 of them. And they are on Symphony sailing February 15, 2020 and that’s not a charter. 

Sorry, thought you were Identifying the the Full Charter group name of OP's cruise... Been yrs but have been on multiple cruises that were 1/4 to 1/3 Charter, never an issue with the Groups. Though have seen other ones have, usually a partial teen Female Group... Also to other's Judging, have never seen bad behavior from these Men, though over yrs have seen Nudity, Sex on Labadee and in Hot Tubs many times by straight couples...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

OP---I'm sorry this happened to you.  I think most of us only learn that it iis a common thing industry wide when it happens to us, and we are all naturally shocked and upset when it does (for us it was Disney, and only about  5 months before sail date when they cancelled for a charter).  I really do not think it is right that cruises already offered/sold to the general public can be chartered---esepcailly now that the lines are pushing to get a solid commitment in the form of non refundable deposits from passengers---they should be equally committed to us.

HOWEVER, it IS the industry standard and nothing seems to change (probably becuase many people, myself incuded, like cruising enough to take the risk and book even now that I know this happens).

My best guess is that, at best, you might be able to argue your way up to an added 100$ per cabin OBC and you will likely have to have your balconies a bit more spread out (but, really, it shouldn't matter that much---it's not like you can all chat from 12 cabins away ´oer the railings anyway).  I hope you can get over the shock and rebook and have a nice trip anyway.  

and FWIW, I have sailed with large groups of bears as a partial charter at least three times that I can think of off the top of my head.  I've never seen anything that was innapropriate with them.

That said, if someone is going to get all bent out of shape seeing men acting like normal couples out in public, then it's probably better for everyone if that someone avoids being on cruieses with such charters.  The last thing anyone wants to deal with on vacation it people being hateful towards them for simply existing.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

and FWIW, I have sailed with large groups of bears as a partial charter at least three times that I can think of off the top of my head.  I've never seen anything that was innapropriate with them.

That said, if someone is going to get all bent out of shape seeing men acting like normal couples out in public, then it's probably better for everyone if that someone avoids being on cruieses with such charters.  The last thing anyone wants to deal with on vacation it people being hateful towards them for simply existing.

❤️❤️❤️ 

• Like 1

We were on a Celebrity Cruise with 400+ Bears and only 30 people under the age of 18 onboard, including our then 4 year old daughter. Her development was not impacted by the cruise 😂

It was an amazing time and we had some terrific conversations. Members of the group invited us (and many other like minded travelers) to some of their private events. The drag show run by the group was top notch, far exceeding Celerity's entertainment options.

Sorry to the OP.

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Mullwi said:

I’m booked on Adventure out of Fort Lauderdale on 2/1. we have watched the Super Bowl on several cruises and love that, but had no idea it was in Miami this year. I feel horrible for those who have been canceled and hope you can find another good alternative! My first thought was I hope they don’t cancel ours too, but just realized that even if they don’t, that airfare may be unaffordably high for us since we planned on flying down Thursday night from Boston. Any experience or thoughts on that?

I took a cruise out of Miami last time the Super Bowl was there.. and the flights weren't that high if you book ahead of time.. I also was supposed to cruise on the Oasis next year and had to scramble to switch the cruise to the Allure.. so I still plan on going , have my hotel booked for pre-cruise.. now I just wait to find the flights.. :)

8 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Sorry, thought you were Identifying the the Full Charter group name of OP's cruise... Been yrs but have been on multiple cruises that were 1/4 to 1/3 Charter, never an issue with the Groups. Though have seen other ones have, usually a partial teen Female Group... Also to other's Judging, have never seen bad behavior from these Men, though over yrs have seen Nudity, Sex on Labadee and in Hot Tubs many times by straight couples...

This would be a great thread title and would get many views!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I can understand cancelling someones cruise for "technical" issues. But just to cancel you and give your room to someone else is just plain shady. Try another cruise line would be my advice. 

I know cruise lines gave alot of latitude on what they can do. But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. 

6 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

I can understand cancelling someones cruise for "technical" issues. But just to cancel you and give your room to someone else is just plain shady. Try another cruise line would be my advice. 

I know cruise lines gave alot of latitude on what they can do. But just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. 

All of the mainstream cruise lines do charters.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

It is extremely shady. It would be like booking a hotel and them calling and saying, oh, hey, there's an convention in town that weekend and your room is no longer available. It may be covered by policy/legal, but it certainly is a crap thing to do.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Exactly what I was thinking as I read the comments! Great job!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

Charters are a common occurrence on all cruise lines. They're in it to make money and charters are where it's at.

OP:  is there some reason that you must have 12 cabins all in a row?  We cruise with a big group of friends every year and our cabins are all over the ship.  We always have a blast, despite not being right next door to each other.  I can understand mild disappointment, but can't imagine why you are so mad about it.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Retired LEO said:

Charters are a common occurrence on all cruise lines. They're in it to make money and charters are where it's at.

Exactly, Charters are a lot easier for cruise lines than a ship of individual groups/families.  Same for hotels.  With Charters they have group contacts, can align the schedule and venues specifically for one group, it's more focused, etc.  

13 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I had a booking cancelled for a dry dock.  We were actually supposed to cruise this Saturday.  Our cabin was sold out on each of the cruises they price protected with the same itinerary.  We had used a next cruise certificate to book it.  At first they told me my certificate was now out of date and they would not honor the OBC.  We kept escalating and they finally gave the OBC back.  Do not accept the loss of the $75 OBC.  

We were also very disappointed.  We had to take a much inferior cabin for the same amount of money.  The kicker is we recently got an offer to bid on the same type of cabin were originally had booked. 

I feel your pain. We are over it now and looking forward to our cruise.  . . . You have to let it go.  

I was supposed to be on that cruise too.

I took their first option cancel and get the money back.....to which they made a counter offer......They transferred everything including OBC as is from Grandeur to Anthem and gave $200 extra OBC. Took the counter offer. Since the Anthem was cheaper in price, we went from OV to balcony. So it worked out well for us.

• Like 2

One thing that is unique to cruiselines vs other forms of vacations is that they allow you to book so far in advance.  Groups can book hostel rooms a year or more in advance, while reservations for individual bookings don't open until 250 days bofore (or thereabouts)

While it is a pia, it is something that happends no matter the cruiseline.

19 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

I have a feeling that with the Super Bowl on February 2, 2020 that many ships leaving out of Miami will have the same fate. So sorry this has happened to you. I too would be upset. Note to those who may sail around Super Bowl time, take a peak at where the game will be. In 2020, it is Miami.

You make a good point.  When the Super Bowl was in Jacksonville a few years ago and Jacksonville did not have enough hotel rooms to handle the influx of people so cruise ships were engaged as docked hotels for the event week.  Miami has plenty of hotels, but the concept for a large group of being able to be housed on a ship and perhaps with their own SUPER activities might have given life to a new concept.  Obviously when the Super Bowl is NOT in a port city, it would never matter to check the dates.

• Like 1

I think it might be a bundled deal of some sort as well, do the Big Game in style. For two of the ships in the same company to be chartered at the same time (never mind how big both are) there is something different happening I think. Wondering if any of the other companies also have chartered out their ships.

2 hours ago, gatour said:

One thing that is unique to cruiselines vs other forms of vacations is that they allow you to book so far in advance.  Groups can book hostel rooms a year or more in advance, while reservations for individual bookings don't open until 250 days bofore (or thereabouts)

Agree. Wasn't so common in past when Cruise dates opened little as one yr out...

2 hours ago, gatour said:

Actually, you can book individual hotel rooms up to a year out.  I booked my hotel in Boston for this Sept. last Sept. It's also a freebie room, so booking that far in advance is pretty much a must.  I also booked our hotels in Alaska a year in advance.  I used to work for a hotel chain and that is how I found out about when bookings open up for individual rooms.  But you are right about bookings for groups.  They have more leeway. At least though when they book, the hotel blocks those rooms and then individuals can book any remaining rooms when the time comes.

We were booked on the Oasis for 2/2/2020.  Just got notice yesterday this cruise was chartered and we needed 

to reschedule or whatever the other options were.  This was a B2B for us so I immediately to get it rescheduled to

the 16th to keep the B2B.  Also were in a GS and wanted to keep the same suite both legs.  Needed to rebook the suites

to a different room, but still got the same one on each leg.  Got a $400 obc (& already had $400 0bc)  Did not lose the 

original obc or have to pay the rebooking fee (I would have screamed if either or both of these had been withdrawn for

sure)  Also the cruises are now higher but our original price was protected.  This is not a big deal for us as we are

retired, but I would have been very upset if I was still working or if it would have happened with a family cruise like we

took last June on the Harmony.  I'm assuming it is also something to do with the Super Bowl..