RCCL cancelled cruise--SO MAD

21 minutes ago, sdrocks said:

We were booked on the Oasis for 2/2/2020.  Just got notice yesterday this cruise was chartered and we needed 

to reschedule or whatever the other options were.  This was a B2B for us so I immediately to get it rescheduled to

the 16th to keep the B2B.  Also were in a GS and wanted to keep the same suite both legs.  Needed to rebook the suites

to a different room, but still got the same one on each leg.  Got a $400 obc (& already had $400 0bc)  Did not lose the 

original obc or have to pay the rebooking fee (I would have screamed if either or both of these had been withdrawn for

sure)  Also the cruises are now higher but our original price was protected.  This is not a big deal for us as we are

retired, but I would have been very upset if I was still working or if it would have happened with a family cruise like we

took last June on the Harmony.  I'm assuming it is also something to do with the Super Bowl..

Glad it worked out for you.  It happened to us a few years ago, and we had to move our cruise two weeks later....it cost us using an extra day of vacation time.  In the big picture, we said 'no one died' that resulted in our needing to cancel and rebook our cruise.  

I think more people should start to be concerned about this possibility.  However they shouldn't change anything unless Royal notifies them.  

7 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

OP:  is there some reason that you must have 12 cabins all in a row?  We cruise with a big group of friends every year and our cabins are all over the ship.  We always have a blast, despite not being right next door to each other.  I can understand mild disappointment, but can't imagine why you are so mad about it.  

We open up the dividers and have one huge balcony to talk and drink wine.  It is the only reason we book 2 years in advance.

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

All of the mainstream cruise lines do charters.

Doesnt make it right. Common courtesy goes a long way. 

As my mother used to say to me as a kid, just because everyones jumping off a bridge doesnt mean you have to. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

As my mother used to say to me as a kid, just because everyones jumping off a bridge doesnt mean you have to. 

I believe the poster you quoted was one of the people responding to the suggestion to change to a different cruise line because RCI will charter ships people have already booked on.   The point was not to say it's a good policy, but that changing lines will not mean it won't happen as all lines do it (the one time it happened to me was on Disney)

On 3/13/2019 at 5:55 PM, The Sunset Glow said:

So sorry this happened to you. I doubt you will be able to get all 12 in a row at this point especially since so many people are already rebooking. Oasis was also chartered for the same weekend out of Miami. It's possible that these ships are being used as hotels for Superbowl. The other itineraries will start to fill up fast.

Just an FYI in case anyone in your group is easily offended - the Feb 15, 2020 cruise on Symphony has a large group on there called the Gay Bears. You can youtube it to find videos. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with this group just that some people would not be happy with some of the behavior especially families with young children.

Then those people need to learn to co exist!

We have never had any problem with them or even thought of them as different or "that group".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisegal2013 said:

We open up the dividers and have one huge balcony to talk and drink wine.  It is the only reason we book 2 years in advance.

You do realize that not every Captain allows the balcony dividers to be opened up.  It is the Captains decision.

2 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

It is in your contract that the cruise line can make changes......it has nothing to do with common courtesy. 

1 hour ago, suesnake2002 said:

Paulette, i disagree. Just because it's allowed doesn't make it right. 

How would like to pay for a room, and then someone tell you we can get more money from x. So we are cancelling you, and x will get your room. 

That's exactly what they're doing. There's a lot more money in a charter. They'll take their money over what you paid without hesitation. And it's happening quite frequently.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruisegal2013 said:

Fair enough.  But rather than getting so mad, why not just agree to meet at some other place on the ship and take your glasses of wine with you?  With situations like this it seems the level of disappointment is largely determined by one's attitude.  If you are determined to focus on it and be mad about it, it can ruin your vacation.  If you are willing to shrug it off and go to plan B, you can still have a great time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/13/2019 at 4:27 PM, WisconsinFan said:

I have a feeling that with the Super Bowl on February 2, 2020 that many ships leaving out of Miami will have the same fate. So sorry this has happened to you. I too would be upset. Note to those who may sail around Super Bowl time, take a peak at where the game will be. In 2020, it is Miami.

From what you are saying can it be assumed that the ship isn't going to actually sail but will act as hotel accommodations for those going to the game?

On 3/13/2019 at 7:53 PM, CRUIS4ME said:

I guess they are not hurting for bookings...and if we want to go...we have to adjust to the new reality.    

As long as people are willing to accept this treatment it won't change and it will become the new reality.

On 3/14/2019 at 10:05 AM, Arzeena said:

I was supposed to be on that cruise too.

I took their first option cancel and get the money back.....to which they made a counter offer......They transferred everything including OBC as is from Grandeur to Anthem and gave $200 extra OBC. Took the counter offer. Since the Anthem was cheaper in price, we went from OV to balcony. So it worked out well for us.

Good for you!  All cruise lines charter. However from what I have been reading on these type threads is that Royal has no regard for the passengers who have been canceled. They take away OBC, you are being inconvenienced and they are charging more for the same itinerary on a date that you didn't even want to sail. I guess they can get away with it because people are willing to accept it. Good for you for having a backbone.

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Fair enough.  But rather than getting so mad, why not just agree to meet at some other place on the ship and take your glasses of wine with you?  With situations like this it seems the level of disappointment is largely determined by one's attitude.  If you are determined to focus on it and be mad about it, it can ruin your vacation.  If you are willing to shrug it off and go to plan B, you can still have a great time. 

Good advice.  I'm sure we will have a great time.  At least I have another year to get over it.

17 hours ago, cruisegal2013 said:

In theory, it sounds nice, but in reality, it's a PIA.  We once had 5 balconies next to each other and opened up the partitions.  Well, there goes your privacy with people walking back & forth at all times of the day.  You've got to close the curtains just to get dressed.  Who wants to do that all the time during a cruise.  Never again for us.

Talk about your first world problems. Our cruise a year from now got canceled, so we have to find a different date. Now we can't have one giant balcony. The world should revolve around us because we want something that Royal in no way, shape, or form advertises.

• Like 1

What happens if your cruise is cancelled due to a charter and you have non-refundable airfare and/or hotel (self booked)?  Does travel insurance cover something like that?   Or are you SOL if you cannot find another cruise within the same parameters as your original cruise?

Do cruise lines really charter ships within 6 months of sailing? 

Edited by AnnaNicole

11 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

In theory, it sounds nice, but in reality, it's a PIA.  We once had 5 balconies next to each other and opened up the partitions.  Well, there goes your privacy with people walking back & forth at all times of the day.  You've got to close the curtains just to get dressed.  Who wants to do that all the time during a cruise.  Never again for us.

LOL Yep, we learned that too when cruising with our kids - did not need them to be able to just walk over - though again they also shouldn't be shocked by whatever they may end up seeing 🙂

17 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Talk about your first world problems. Our cruise a year from now got canceled, so we have to find a different date. Now we can't have one giant balcony. The world should revolve around us because we want something that Royal in no way, shape, or form advertises.

Well, FWIW, this IS a cruise forum so ALL "problems" discussed here are "first world" problems. :classic_cool:

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Says the Loyal to Royal employee.

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Says the crankiest complainer on this board.

I also haven't sailed Royal yet

One sailing in 2001 and I’m starting to realize why I haven’t been back. The OP booked 12 rooms and the best they could do is $100 OBC which basically goes back to the cruise line. That’s an insult. Don’t confuse my New York don’t put up with B.S. attitude as being cranky.  I will say if people aren’t willing to take there money elsewhere then they don’t have a right to complain.

46 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

One sailing in 2001 and I’m starting to realize why I haven’t been back. The OP booked 12 rooms and the best they could do is $100 OBC which basically goes back to the cruise line. That’s an insult. Don’t confuse my New York don’t put up with B.S. attitude as being cranky.  I will say if people aren’t willing to take there money elsewhere then they don’t have a right to complain.

It's not $100 OBC. It's $1200