RCCL cancelled cruise--SO MAD

5 hours ago, Wine-O said:

In theory, it sounds nice, but in reality, it's a PIA.  We once had 5 balconies next to each other and opened up the partitions.  Well, there goes your privacy with people walking back & forth at all times of the day.  You've got to close the curtains just to get dressed.  Who wants to do that all the time during a cruise.  Never again for us.

I agree. Why the big deal? In fact I don't even want to be in the next cabin let along one that shares a balcony.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cruisinfanatic said:

I agree. Why the big deal? In fact I don't even want to be in the next cabin let along one that shares a balcony.

Agreed - we booked late for our recent cruise and the best cabins available happened to be next to each other but thankfully not connecting!  I prefer connecting with travelling partners around the ship and having the cabin my safe place to be alone.

We were on this cruise too!  A little scrambling trying to get our party of 6 approved for different vacation dates from our employers but Royal was able to accommodate us on the following week's sailing and gave us the same price and a $200 OBC for each room.  They apologized profusely and got everything taken care of for us within 10 minutes.  We're good to go again! :)

Edited by LibertyGirl7

1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

It's not $100 OBC. It's $1200

The OP booked 12 rooms.  12 x$100 is $1200.  $1200 divided by 12 is $100 per room. Any way you spin it, it's still $100 per room. Now if there are 2 people per room it's $50 each.  Sorry but I would not take this deal especially if they have to pay a higher price because the sailing they had to settle for is more money.

31 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

The OP booked 12 rooms.  12 x$100 is $1200.  $1200 divided by 12 is $100 per room. Any way you spin it, it's still $100 per room. Now if there are 2 people per room it's $50 each.  Sorry but I would not take this deal especially if they have to pay a higher price because the sailing they had to settle for is more money.

Then you just cancel.

9 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Then you just cancel.

That's exactly what I would do. A previous poster canceled because they didn't like the offer and Royal came up with a better deal which they excepted. But If you are just willing to settle they won't offer more.  I think what really annoys me is that they don't honor the price that you originally booked for and they take away promotions that were available at the time of the original booking. I honestly don't know how they get away with this. If I have to change my vacation week, my flight and hotel reservations having to pay more is just adding insult to injury.  I would rather cancel and start from scratch and weigh all of my options.

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

One sailing in 2001 and I’m starting to realize why I haven’t been back. The OP booked 12 rooms and the best they could do is $100 OBC which basically goes back to the cruise line. That’s an insult. Don’t confuse my New York don’t put up with B.S. attitude as being cranky.  I will say if people aren’t willing to take there money elsewhere then they don’t have a right to complain.

If you haven't cruised with RCI since 2001 why do you continue to post (mostly negative) comments on a product that you have no recent experience with?

Edited by blueridgemama
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

If you haven't cruised with RCI since 2001 why do you continue to post (mostly negative) comments on a product that you have no recent experience with?

It’s not the product I have issues with. I’m sure the on board experience in relation to food,service and overall experience will be fine. My issue is the pre cruise experience on pricing and customer service based on my experience and what I have read here. The same complaints seem to come up all of the time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blueridgemama said:

I too have noticed that this poster [lamcruzin] weighs in with negative posts at every opportunity. I have now added him to my ignore list & suggest others do also. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

It’s not the product I have issues with. I’m sure the on board experience in relation to food,service and overall experience will be fine. My issue is the pre cruise experience on pricing and customer service based on my experience and what I have read here. The same complaints seem to come up all of the time.

As they do for all of the major mass market cruise lines.

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

I too have noticed that this poster [lamcruzin] weighs in with negative posts at every opportunity. I have now added him to my ignore list & suggest others do also. 

Did not know there was an ignore list. Thank you for the info.

13 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

One sailing in 2001 and I’m starting to realize why I haven’t been back. The OP booked 12 rooms and the best they could do is $100 OBC which basically goes back to the cruise line. That’s an insult. Don’t confuse my New York don’t put up with B.S. attitude as being cranky.  I will say if people aren’t willing to take there money elsewhere then they don’t have a right to complain.

11 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

While your later math is correct, it´s not what you posted originally. You said 12 Rooms = $100 OBC. That actually implies $8,33 per room and not $100 per room. You are the only one trying to spin anything here, but as others said I can see the Habit.

I was not aware that this was a possibility on such a large ship.  I guess I can understand that the Oasis Class ship could be used as a docked “hotel” if the super bowl is held in that city, but it is kind of worrying that the cruise I booked a year and a half in advance could possibly boot us in favor of a large group charter.

My son and his husband are planning a cruise for four of us to celebrate my 80th birthday.  We’re booked on Symphony for third week in March 2020.  The date we picked seemed to avoid Easter, spring break, etc.  They are already negotiating vacation leave, and will be flying in from California.  My daughter and I will fly from Virginia to meet them in Miami the day before we sail.  All of us would be extremely disappointed if our reservations were cancelled — especially if we have already booked a hotel and plane fare.

Does anyone think I need to be worried about that happening?  Is there anything in RCL contract that states how much notice they have to give?  If it gets to be six months before sailing date, should I be able to relax?

1 hour ago, Grandma Petania said:

I was not aware that this was a possibility on such a large ship.  I guess I can understand that the Oasis Class ship could be used as a docked “hotel” if the super bowl is held in that city, but it is kind of worrying that the cruise I booked a year and a half in advance could possibly boot us in favor of a large group charter.

My son and his husband are planning a cruise for four of us to celebrate my 80th birthday.  We’re booked on Symphony for third week in March 2020.  The date we picked seemed to avoid Easter, spring break, etc.  They are already negotiating vacation leave, and will be flying in from California.  My daughter and I will fly from Virginia to meet them in Miami the day before we sail.  All of us would be extremely disappointed if our reservations were cancelled — especially if we have already booked a hotel and plane fare.

Does anyone think I need to be worried about that happening?  Is there anything in RCL contract that states how much notice they have to give?  If it gets to be six months before sailing date, should I be able to relax?

Nobody can predict if something like this will happe to your sailing or not. IMO you only have to worry About it if you Chose to worry About it.

I never worry About it. It never happened to me, but I kow it could. However worrying will not Change a single Thing. It won´t increase any Chances of my sailing being chartered or not. Deal with it if and when it happens, but don´t drive yourself crazy with worries.

The majority of sailings go just as planned and only very few get chartered. This won´t help you once it happens though. 

They can cancel anytime, but the chances of a charter decrease with getting Closer to your sailing time. The Closer to sail date a ship is chartered the more expensive it gets for all. RCI Needs to deal with more passengers booked on the ship and those who charter the ship Need to either sell those cabins in a short time or if not selling the cabins make at least travel Arrangements for the folks going on the ship.

Besides charters they could cancel for other reasons though and These could be on much Shorter notice for stuff like weather or mechanical issues.

11 hours ago, coolio111 said:

Did not know there was an ignore list. Thank you for the info.

Hover over the the posters name.  A pop-up appears.  At the bottom is "Ignore user".  I haven't used it, however there is one user (not him) that I am close to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:

Just be aware that March is spring break for colleges.

Full ship charters generally are announced at about a year or more in advance.  After all if it is a theme cruise the company doing the charter wants as much time as possible to resell the cabins.  Sometimes a sign a charter may be occuring, is that RCCL will stop selling rooms.  While I would not say you are not 100% in clear, I would say the odds are such that a charter won't occur causing your cruise to be cancelled.

1 hour ago, gatour said:

Just be aware that March is spring break for colleges.

Actually...it depends which part of the U.S. you are located...

Spring Break is found from early March all the way into early April in some states...translating to that extended period of time for high school and college students invading all cruise ships - although they especially seem to like the Carnival ones above all the other cruise line brands. 😨🤢🤣

One thing I notice in this thread is despite this person booking way in advance to ensure they got what they wanted on the cruise, they now have people telling them why it shouldn't matter to them. I hope there are no hypocrites in here that mind others telling them what they should and shouldn't care about when it comes to their own good time on a cruise.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

That's exactly what I would do. A previous poster canceled because they didn't like the offer and Royal came up with a better deal which they excepted. But If you are just willing to settle they won't offer more.  I think what really annoys me is that they don't honor the price that you originally booked for and they take away promotions that were available at the time of the original booking. I honestly don't know how they get away with this. If I have to change my vacation week, my flight and hotel reservations having to pay more is just adding insult to injury.  I would rather cancel and start from scratch and weigh all of my options.

We were booked on the Oasis.  They honored our original price, kept our original $400 OBC and added $400 OBC and didnot

take away any previous promotions.  

• Like 2

Miami has never used cruise ships for the Superbowl.  The only time that has happened as far as I know was in Jacksonville.  South Florida has PLENTY of hotel rooms.  Besides, no way they want to house 5-10,000 people at Port Miami for multiple days.  The Port just isn't set up for that.

On 3/13/2019 at 8:20 PM, The Sunset Glow said:

I personally wouldn’t want to be on a cruise with a large group of any kind as they tend to take over areas of the ship so I’d want to avoid them. 

This one time I was on a cruise that had a lot of members. They took over the bingo areas yelling very loudly "Bingo" if their number was called, then I saw them all on the promenade for the parades, they even all stood together.. You could tell they were all together, those red hats they all wore were so obvious.. I promise it didn't make my family want to run out and buy a red hat. Although I have to say, anytime I see a lady wearing a "Red Hat" I do have flashbacks!

14 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Miami has never used cruise ships for the Superbowl.  The only time that has happened as far as I know was in Jacksonville.  South Florida has PLENTY of hotel rooms.  Besides, no way they want to house 5-10,000 people at Port Miami for multiple days.  The Port just isn't set up for that.

You are correct.  I believe Jacksonville is the only city that has used cruise ships for the Super Bowl.  The Jacksonvile Port wasn't exactly set up for that either, but they made it work.

However, I agree that South Florida has tons of hotel rooms, so I was scratching my head when the cruise cancelation was announced.  My quess it was a "reward" trip.  Some company chartered the ship to wine and dine clients and reward employees.  While all of these people may not actually be attending the Super Bowl, they can attend the attached events.

On a side note, the Olympics have also used cruise ships for accomendations.

11 hours ago, Grandma Petania said:

I wouldn’t think the 3rd week in March would be chartered out. This is typical Spring Break time with higher fares (unless of course some charter can exceed the $ already booked).