Based on food alone what is your favorite cruise line?

Peckishpixie

12 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I feel the same way Don.  I do a lot of cooking...as a former chef. I am elated to have a week or two at sea without the kitchen duties.  Then we have the times on a cruise when we are too stuffed with rich food and appreciative of a basic home cooked meal.  I have enjoyed fried chicken and mashed potatoes on RCL.  I have enjoyed the Italian pasta and pizza on MSC.  One afternoon when we did not want a big lunch, served in the Yacht Club dining room on MSC, we went to the regular buffet and had pizza and beer and it hit the spot.  Some meals are wonderful and some are average.  Some of the special tariff restaurants are really good and some aren’t so it is very difficult to say which line is the best.

Bingo.....I feel that is the thing... We have some great dinners at one of the specialty restaurants, and as well a few in club class part of MDR.....     

and another part of it is why are you cruising.... for us it is to relax... there is no cleaning, no laundry no driving, not having to plan, entertainment, as well not just cooking, but you can have what each of want.... 

also it depends on how long the cruise is... for us generally 13-16 nights a few time up 26 nights... by which time ready to eat at home....

Don

8 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Bingo.....I feel that is the thing... We have some great dinners at one of the specialty restaurants, and as well a few in club class part of MDR.....     

and another part of it is why are you cruising.... for us it is to relax... there is no cleaning, no laundry no driving, not having to plan, entertainment, as well not just cooking, but you can have what each of want.... 

also it depends on how long the cruise is... for us generally 13-16 nights a few time up 26 nights... by which time ready to eat at home....

Don

LOL...how many days can you spend on a cruise before you are satiated and need to head home.  We usually are ready to debark after 14 days.  Don’t get me wrong...DW and I love ships...I’m an ocean liner historian but more than 14-16 days onboard ship is enough for us.  

Our latest Cruise was Viking Sun, World cruise that sadly was cut short in march due to the pandemic. But we were on board from Jan 4 to 

Mar 23, without getting bored with the food! We have previously cruised  with RCCL, NCL, Seabourn, Windstar, Oceania, Celebrity and Azamara. We think that Viking and Oceania were the best when it comes to food. Windstar and Seabourn were also good Azamara and Celebrity OK. NCL and RCCL, not so much...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FrökenFluff said:

Our latest Cruise was Viking Sun, World cruise that sadly was cut short in march due to the pandemic. But we were on board from Jan 4 to 

Mar 23, without getting bored with the food! We have previously cruised  with RCCL, NCL, Seabourn, Windstar, Oceania, Celebrity and Azamara. We think that Viking and Oceania were the best when it comes to food. Windstar and Seabourn were also good Azamara and Celebrity OK. NCL and RCCL, not so much...

We have friends that prefer smaller ships.  They tried Viking last year and were very pleased.  They also love Azamara.  They wouldn’t be caught dead on a mass market line.  DW and I, on the other hand, prefer a big ship...upscale experience on a mass market line rather than a smaller luxury ship.  We don’t worry about the food so much.  We figure that we can always find something that will please us.  Right now we would enjoy the MSC Yacht Club on one of their new ships.  We found the food could run the scales from mehh to great and the Italian food is always wonderful. That was OK with us...we wouldn’t gain weight...LOL.  

On 12/5/2020 at 9:22 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I do a lot of cooking...as a former chef. 

I'm unsure that I knew you were a former chef.  It is my opinion that it is the ship's Executive Chef who makes the difference as to my satisfaction with the cuisine served.  They receive standardized menus/recipes from the Corporate Chef, but, at least on Holland America, I have learned that the ship's Executive Chef has the freedom to "tweak" the recipes as he/she wishes.  In my experience, some are better "tweakers" than others.  Maybe some don't "tweak" at all?  

What are your thoughts?  

Some of the special tariff restaurants are really good and some aren’t so it is very difficult to say which line is the best.

An enjoyable dinner in the Pinnacle Grill on one HAL ship may be followed (or preceded) by a disappointing dinner at the same venue on a different HAL ship or cruise.  Referencing my post above, what causes such experiences?  Is it that ship's Executive Chef?  It is my understanding that the specialty restaurants, such as Pinnacle Grill,  have their own dedicated Chef.  Is such a varied experience due to whomever occupies that position?  

One specialty restaurant--even in its "pop-up version" on HAL-- is Rudi's Sel de Mer  that has not ever disappointed.  Whether I have patronized the "stand alone" restaurant or one of the "pop-ups", the cuisine, the service, the menu choices, the wines available and their service, just excellent!  Why?  What has Chef Rudi done that has provided such a consistency of my experiences?  Dining in a Pinnacle Grill on HAL ships surely has not provided such consistency.  

I do a lot of cooking...as a former chef. 

I'm unsure that I knew you were a former chef.  It is my opinion that it is the ship's Executive Chef who makes the difference as to my satisfaction with the cuisine served.  They receive standardized menus/recipes from the Corporate Chef, but, at least on Holland America, I have learned that the ship's Executive Chef has the freedom to "tweak" the recipes as he/she wishes.  In my experience, some are better "tweakers" than others.  Maybe some don't "tweak" at all?  

What are your thoughts?  

Some of the special tariff restaurants are really good and some aren’t so it is very difficult to say which line is the best.

An enjoyable dinner in the Pinnacle Grill on one HAL ship may be followed (or preceded) by a disappointing dinner at the same venue on a different HAL ship or cruise.  Referencing my post above, what causes such experiences?  Is it that ship's Executive Chef?  It is my understanding that the specialty restaurants, such as Pinnacle Grill,  have their own dedicated Chef.  Is such a varied experience due to whomever occupies that position?  

One specialty restaurant--even in its "pop-up version" on HAL-- is Rudi's Sel de Mer  that has not ever disappointed.  Whether I have patronized the "stand alone" restaurant or one of the "pop-ups", the cuisine, the service, the menu choices, the wines available and their service, just excellent!  Why?  What has Chef Rudi done that has provided such a consistency of my experiences?  Dining in a Pinnacle Grill on HAL ships surely has not provided such consistency.  

Hi RK,  

The Head Chef makes all the difference on a cruise.  I had one experience of fairly mediocre food and then the Chef was replaced mid cruise.  The difference was not just noticeable...it was astounding.  I’ve watched a lot of Chefs onboard and I can tell the good from the bad.  A quick stroll through the buffet can usually tell if the effort is there as well as the talent.  You notice the Chef’s ability when you dine at the Captain’s Table.  Some CT dinners are just so-so and others are memorable.  The really good chefs notice all the little things.  The Devil is in the details.

My guess is that the chefs in Rudi’s were trained by Rudi.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 6:01 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The Head Chef makes all the difference on a cruise.  

Your post affirms what I thought I knew.  

A quick stroll through the buffet can usually tell if the effort is there as well as the talent.  

A view of an organizational chart for the culinary department might be interesting to see.  The Executive Chef is at the top, then the branches go to:  the Chefs in charge of the MDR, the buffet restaurant, the specialty restaurants?  If so, does those ships that have a multiple specialty restaurants all have their own in-charge Chefs?  

My guess is that the chefs in Rudi’s were trained by Rudi.

It is not just the cuisine that I have experienced at Sel de Mer, it is the service and the ambiance even in the "pop-ups". Inconsistency of cruise product provided has been an unfortunate theme for HAL in recent years in my experience.  But, the Sel de Mer pop-ups have been just as good as the stand alone restaurant on the Nieuw Statendam.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 6:05 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

LOL...how many days can you spend on a cruise before you are satiated and need to head home.  We usually are ready to debark after 14 days.  Don’t get me wrong...DW and I love ships...I’m an ocean liner historian but more than 14-16 days onboard ship is enough for us.  

I'm never satiated. Spent 108 and 103 days on Crystal Serenity for the 2015 and 2016 world cruises respectively. Didn't want to get off either time.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 7:33 PM, sullaRaffaello said:

I'm never satiated. Spent 108 and 103 days on Crystal Serenity for the 2015 and 2016 world cruises respectively. Didn't want to get off either time.

WOW... guess we can list you as “hard core”... LOL.  I could never endure that long onboard.  

On 12/22/2020 at 7:33 PM, sullaRaffaello said:

17 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

WOW... guess we can list you as “hard core”... LOL.  I could never endure that long onboard.  

My 2008 World Cruise aboard Amsterdam was 113 days.  From a cruise aspect, I wasn't ready to disembark in Fort Lauderdale.  However, disembarking meant I was escaping from a few fellow guests whom I hope I never, ever sail with again.  (They may have felt the same about me.)  So many other guests and the crew--oh, the crew--delightful and some of whom I have been able to keep in touch.  

• 3 months later...
On 6/11/2019 at 11:58 AM, Sny said:

Oceania is superb.  Even the food in the MDR and Terrace Buffet are quite good.  But, the specialty restaurants are outstanding. On the larger ships, you have Red Ginger, Jacques, Polo and Toscano.  The Asian cuisine in Red Ginger is our favorite.

Cunard is nice; but Oceania goes much farther on the gourmet scale.

Ditto for us! All of them are excellent. 

• 2 months later...

Cunard Line is our all time best..

Till the last time we were on board, Holland America. Being on the Noordam, the last time on a HAL ship very disappointed. The year they started to divide the dining room in to two different services. Set dining room time with assigned tables. And Dine As To Want, or what ever the phrase that was used.

Our food was sub par to what we had experienced in the past. We never were disappointed in the past.

This sailing it took to the night before we landed home to get a steak that was acceptable. We prefer to stay with what we like. Maybe Princess or Celebrity in the next.

3 hours ago, Riknpat said:

Buffet?  Royal Caribbean

MDR? HAL

In my experience, there are two important factors that influences my satisfaction with the cuisine that I experience in whatever venue I dine.

One is the cruise line's Executive Vice-President in charge of the menus issued to their fleet, the corporate recipes that are developed, and the budget for food costs for that specific cruise.  

The other factor is the Executive Chef of the ship on which I am sailing.  At least on HAL ships, I have been told several times during behind the scenes tours that the Executive Chef has permission to "tweak" the corporate recipes as he/she desires.  My experience?  Some are much better "tweakers" than others.  

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Till the last time we were on board, Holland America. Being on the Noordam, the last time on a HAL ship very disappointed

HAL has experienced an unusual amount of turnover in some of their Executive positions in recent years with Food/Beverage one of those areas.  The difference that I have experienced in the menus offered and the food's preparation between my most recent HAL cruises on the Volendam and the Eurodam in late 2019 and early 2020 and my other most recent experience which was on the Nieuw Statendam in late 2018 (during her Inaugural Season) and early 2019 was 180 degrees different.  Nieuw Statendam's dinner menus were "odd" for those of us who were seasoned HAL cruisers.  Preparation of what we ordered was, too often, no more than OK.  Rarely, was there a "hit" coming out of the Galley.  On the Volendam and the Eurodam, menus were better, preparation was very good to excellent.  An Assistant Dining Room Manager on the Eurodam whom I first met when he was my Table Captain on the Amsterdam told me when I mentioned to him the improvement that that I was experiencing confirmed what I had learned before my cruises that year.  A new man for Food/Beverage was in charge in Seattle.  Also, both of the Executive Chefs for my Volendam and Eurodam cruises were experienced HAL Executive Chefs.  

4 hours ago, Riknpat said:

Buffet?  Royal Caribbean

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Princess or Celebrity in the next.

With regard to the Buffet Restaurant:

One experience with Royal Caribbean and that has been so long ago that I can't comment.

Princess?  On Royal Princess, it was a chaotic, confused mess as far as I was concerned as to organization.  Food preparation, what I was able to find when I wanted to find it, was good to very good.  Coral Princess in 2019, not as chaotic or as disorganized, but not as well organized as the Lido Restaurants are on HAL.  Food preparation was satisfactory; nothing more.  MDR food on Coral Princess was much better.  

Celebrity?  Only one sailing on Celebrity Eclipse and was my first experience with the "island concept" of buffet food service.  After I figured it out, it was manageable and the food was very good.  

Carnival?  No complaints about organization; guest flow was managed well and the food was good with lots of variety.

MSC Meraviglia?  Didn't participate other than at the Pizza Station at the mid-ship's pool deck, but it seemed like it would take some time to "figure out" where "stuff" was when I visited the restaurant on a walk-through 2-3 times.  Food looked good.  And, my choices in the YC Restaurant were very good to excellent.  (Our YC Chef liked Pesto apparently.  Several sauces were "green".  But, they were good and complimented the entree even though they were different than what I have experienced.) 

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

HAL has experienced an unusual amount of turnover in some of their Executive positions in recent years with Food/Beverage one of those areas.  The difference that I have experienced in the menus offered and the food's preparation between my most recent HAL cruises on the Volendam and the Eurodam in late 2019 and early 2020 and my other most recent experience which was on the Nieuw Statendam in late 2018 (during her Inaugural Season) and early 2019 was 180 degrees different.  Nieuw Statendam's dinner menus were "odd" for those of us who were seasoned HAL cruisers.  Preparation of what we ordered was, too often, no more than OK.  Rarely, was there a "hit" coming out of the Galley.  On the Volendam and the Eurodam, menus were better, preparation was very good to excellent.  An Assistant Dining Room Manager on the Eurodam whom I first met when he was my Table Captain on the Amsterdam told me when I mentioned to him the improvement that that I was experiencing confirmed what I had learned before my cruises that year.  A new man for Food/Beverage was in charge in Seattle.  Also, both of the Executive Chefs for my Volendam and Eurodam cruises were experienced HAL Executive Chefs.  

Since we don't fly anymore and HAL rarely visits NYC anymore I don't have the opportunity to try HAL again for now.

While way back when we were on the Rotterdam two years in a row, I remember I was impressed on the second day of 10 day sailing. I remember telling my wife "If the rest of the cruise is going to be like this, let's book next year". And we did! I couldn't wait for next year. But when we were thrilled to sail on the second year of the Noordam, we were disappointed with our 8 days. Entertainment, ship, tours were great. But the Food if that is what you called it, was sorry full. Maybe someday there will maybe a chance to try again. 

33 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Princess?  On Royal Princess, it was a chaotic, confused mess as far as I was concerned as to organization.  Food preparation, what I was able to find when I wanted to find it, was good to very good.  Coral Princess in 2019, not as chaotic or as disorganized, but not as well organized as the Lido Restaurants are on HAL.  Food preparation was satisfactory; nothing more.  MDR food on Coral Princess was much better.  

Celebrity?  Only one sailing on Celebrity Eclipse and was my first experience with the "island concept" of buffet food service.  After I figured it out, it was manageable and the food was very good. 

WOW the way the cruise industry has changed......

I always heard Princess was supposed to had been good in the past. I know they have several optional restaurants on board. I know I was told once from a past passenger that the ship had trouble to assigning certain rooms to passenger activities being held. But restaurants were good.

Celebrity was supposed to be very good with food and cuisine according the Porthole Cruising Magazine winning awards.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 10:23 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Every cruise is different.  Good food depends who is in the kitchen.  A great chef inspires his crew then all runs well in the galley.

Absolutely correct.  As I have stated in previous posts, the corporate menus that an Executive Chef receives for a cruise can be "tweaked" to his/her satisfaction on some lines.  Some Chefs are better "tweakers" than others, if the Chef even cares to do so.

On 6/4/2021 at 5:24 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

I always heard Princess was supposed to had been good in the past.

Sabatini's, Alfredo's, Crown Grill:  never had a disappointing dinner or lunch in those venues.  MDR cuisine most of the time is very good.  But, being served Fettuccine Alfredo with a watery cheese sauce,  a corporate Chef's specialty Pork Belly that was disgusting:  both on Royal Princess, who is in the Galley preparing such garbage?  

On 6/4/2021 at 5:13 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

when we were thrilled to sail on the second year of the Noordam, we were disappointed with our 8 days. Entertainment, ship, tours were great. But the Food if that is what you called it, was sorry full. Maybe someday

It depends upon whom the Executive Chef is.  

I will add that the influence of other Senior Officers have an impact.  This starts with the Master and includes the Hotel Director and the Culinary Operations Manager.  

On 6/4/2021 at 2:37 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

We prefer to stay with what we like. Maybe Princess or Celebrity in the next.

Only one experience on Celebrity and that was aboard Celebrity Eclipse, a 14 day Caribbean cruise.  MDR cuisine was not memorable.  Service was good, though.  Buffet restaurant:  not to my liking as to its set up, but some of the stations with made to order foods prepared was good.  

Tuscan Grille was the absolute best.  My traveling companion and I had dinner there one evening and then I had lunch there.  Both were excellent with excellent service.

The French styled restaurant--whatever it's name was--was pretentious, but with good cuisine and "stiff" service.  

21 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Only one experience on Celebrity and that was aboard Celebrity Eclipse, a 14 day Caribbean cruise.  MDR cuisine was not memorable.  Service was good, though.  Buffet restaurant:  not to my liking as to its set up, but some of the stations with made to order foods prepared was good.  

Tuscan Grille was the absolute best.  My traveling companion and I had dinner there one evening and then I had lunch there.  Both were excellent with excellent service.

The French styled restaurant--whatever it's name was--was pretentious, but with good cuisine and "stiff" service.  

We are very happy with all the restaurants on the QM2 except for the buffet called Kings Court.

Kings Court has always been a topic of conversation now and even before it was rebuild several years ago.

We were happy with the previous one divided in stations. We had no problem. I especially liked the Asian and Italian. Chef Gallery was also very good. But complaints were there from others.

This one seems to be liked but in crowds they can not replaced fast enough. Example last sailing, they a very good stir fry that went in minutes and I was looking forward to it. Unfortunately it was replaced with hamburgers. YUH!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Kings Court has always been a topic of conversation now and even before it was rebuild several years ago.

We were happy with the previous one divided in stations. We had no problem. I especially liked the Asian and Italian. Chef Gallery was also very good. But complaints were there from others.

When I sailed on QM2, Kings Court had those various stations.  This was a new concept for me and it took a bit of getting used to, but in retrospect to the confused mess that I found on the new Royal Princess, it was very straight forward as to its design.  

Has the buffet restaurant design on Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria been improved from the Kings Court's design?  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

When I sailed on QM2, Kings Court had those various stations.  This was a new concept for me and it took a bit of getting used to, but in retrospect to the confused mess that I found on the new Royal Princess, it was very straight forward as to its design.  

Has the buffet restaurant design on Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria been improved from the Kings Court's design?  

Never tthe pleasure to sail on the other Qxs..