Earliest Flight Time

Lbrussel

We’re doing RC cruise in August that docks in Port Canaveral. We’d then catch a shuttle back to Orlando airport. I don’t want to take a chance of missing our flight. 

I’m trying to figure out what time to book a flight out to NYC at. Would it be safe to do late morning or would that be cutting it too close? Or is afternoon a better bet? 

Well, as many will agree, it is best to arrive at the port area a day prior to sailing.  When on the day prior is up to you, you could leave NYC late afternoon or early that morning.

As to when to book the return flight out of Orlando, I wouldn't book anything earlier than 2pm. This will allow plenty of time to disembark from the ship and the trip to the Orlando airport.

Thank you so much, Voelfgar, that's exactly what I wanted to know. The flight going down was easy to figure out since we'll stay at the airport hotel Saturday night and catch a shuttle to the ship on Sunday morning. It was trying to determine the flight going home time period. I didn't want to make it where there'd be a chance of missing our flight. But I didn't want to book anything too late either.

Really appreciate the help.

On 3/14/2019 at 10:31 PM, Lbrussel said:

Thank you so much, Voelfgar, that's exactly what I wanted to know. The flight going down was easy to figure out since we'll stay at the airport hotel Saturday night and catch a shuttle to the ship on Sunday morning. It was trying to determine the flight going home time period. I didn't want to make it where there'd be a chance of missing our flight. But I didn't want to book anything too late either.

Really appreciate the help.

Most cruise lines suggest after 12:00 flights. Port Canaveral is about an Hour to MCO (Orlando). Combine that with all the Disney people flying home , you definitely want to be at MCO at least 2 hours before flight.

if you can find a return flight around 1 , to me that's perfect. Why be rushed that last day? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Most cruise lines suggest after 12:00 flights. Port Canaveral is about an Hour to MCO (Orlando). Combine that with all the Disney people flying home , you definitely want to be at MCO at least 2 hours before flight.

if you can find a return flight around 1 , to me that's perfect. Why be rushed that last day? 

We will be sailing on Harmony of the Seas late September. Flying into Orlando the day before on SW airlines. Looking at return flights and wanting to fly SW again our options after 12:00 are 12:55, then the next flight out would be 6:10. The 12:55 flight connection is FLL (only 40 min), the 6:10 flight connection is BNA (1hr 30 min). Both flights same price right now. I have never cruised out of PC, flown out of MCO, or cruised RCI (not to mention the huge amount of passengers the Harmony carries). Two couples traveling together. The other couple does not want to do self assist getting off the ship. We have thought about return flight on a different airline, likely AA or Delta with 2:10 and 2:15 departures, but at a price tag of $100 more per ticket + $30 more per bag fee. Any input/experiences greatly appreciated.

As discussed, you can make the 12:55 flight. RCI has worked wonders getting their mega ships in early and off loaded.

19 minutes ago, bitofun said:

We will be sailing on Harmony of the Seas late September. Flying into Orlando the day before on SW airlines. Looking at return flights and wanting to fly SW again our options after 12:00 are 12:55, then the next flight out would be 6:10. The 12:55 flight connection is FLL (only 40 min), the 6:10 flight connection is BNA (1hr 30 min). Both flights same price right now. I have never cruised out of PC, flown out of MCO, or cruised RCI (not to mention the huge amount of passengers the Harmony carries). Two couples traveling together. The other couple does not want to do self assist getting off the ship. We have thought about return flight on a different airline, likely AA or Delta with 2:10 and 2:15 departures, but at a price tag of $100 more per ticket + $30 more per bag fee. Any input/experiences greatly appreciated.

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

RCI has worked wonders getting their mega ships in early and off loaded.

Good to know. Do you feel can make a 12:55 flight fine even not doing self assist and using shuttle service available at terinal as we disembark?

3 minutes ago, bitofun said:

Good to know. Do you feel can make a 12:55 flight fine even not doing self assist and using shuttle service available at terinal as we disembark?

I would be booking the shuttle in advance, not trying to arrange something on the pier.

When RCI asks, tell them what time your flight is. They will schedule your disembarking accordingly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bitofun said:

Even without self assist you can ask for an early debarkation number. 

The 12:55 should be just fine

• Like 1

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

I would be booking the shuttle in advance, not trying to arrange something on the pier.

When RCI asks, tell them what time your flight is. They will schedule your disembarking accordingly.

Thanks!

10 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Thanks, that great info. There's actually a flight that goes out about 1:25 that I was looking at. It would work out just right.

17 hours ago, bitofun said:

Two couples traveling together. The other couple does not want to do self assist getting off the ship.

Is it absolutely necessary that you take the exact same flights home?  We often travel with various friends and family, and avoid  these situations by stating something upfront like "we haven't booked our flights and hotel yet, but when we do we'll let you know right away what we've booked in case you want to try to get on the same flights or stay at the same hotel."  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but either way we get to make the arrangements that we're comfortable with and they get to do likewise.

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

Is it absolutely necessary that you take the exact same flights home?  We often travel with various friends and family, and avoid  these situations by stating something upfront like "we haven't booked our flights and hotel yet, but when we do we'll let you know right away what we've booked in case you want to try to get on the same flights or stay at the same hotel."  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't, but either way we get to make the arrangements that we're comfortable with and they get to do likewise.

In this case the answer is yes. We have talked it over and have decided we will not be taking the earlier flight with 40 min layover in FLL, more because of the 40 min layover (as a rule I never book anything with less than an hour layover). We'll likely look at one of the other airlines to find a mid afternoon flight. Thanks for the suggestion though. Getting very excited for my 1st experience with RCI cruise 🙂 🛳️

If you're flying Southwest (proper abbreviation is WN but I digress,) they can do a 40 minute turn no problem.  They routinely do them in 20-30 minutes and generally connecting flights are close by. I've done a 40 minute connection in FLL several times with no issues.  You may or may not have time to run to the restroom or get food but at least with them, they do quick turns all day, every day, thousands of times a day, successfully.

That said, I wouldn't book a flight earlier than 2ish from MCO.  Too many people flying home from the mouse.  I often stay overnight at the Hyatt in the airport and fly home the next day.  

1 minute ago, megr1125 said:

If you're flying Southwest (proper abbreviation is WN but I digress,) they can do a 40 minute turn no problem.  They routinely do them in 20-30 minutes and generally connecting flights are close by. I've done a 40 minute connection in FLL several times with no issues.  You may or may not have time to run to the restroom or get food but at least with them, they do quick turns all day, every day, thousands of times a day, successfully.

That said, I wouldn't book a flight earlier than 2ish from MCO.  Too many people flying home from the mouse.  I often stay overnight at the Hyatt in the airport and fly home the next day.  

That's a thought too! I have read how long the check-in and security lines are at MCO with the other tourist attractions in the area. Thanks!