Anthem cruise - Jan 27 2020

Gr123

Hello

I'm looking help on a few fronts. We are going on the above Crusoe and stopping at the destinations below. We want to do snorkeling or scuba. But we have never done either. The rcl options are confusing me 

1) where is the best place to do this activity

2) what is the best for a newbie

Thanks

Sorry I thought I had

Probably scuba but would be a complete beginner

1. SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO 
  2. PHILIPSBURG, ST. MAARTEN 
  3. ST. JOHNS, ANTIGUA 
  4. CASTRIES, ST. LUCIA 
  5. BASSETERRE, ST KITTS & NEVIS

Ok, great!

I'm assuming you know that to scuba dive, you'll either need to be certified, or you can do what's called a "Discover Scuba Dive", where you have a brief bit of instruction, followed by a dive to limited depth, accompanied by an instructor.  I would recommend getting certified, so you can really enjoy diving in the Caribbean. 

In the order I would recommend for the new diver:

St. Kitts:

This is my first for a new diver, as there are good dive sites at moderate depth.  There is abundant and varied sea life, and diving from a cruise ship is simple.  The cruise ship contracts with Dive St. Kitts which is a good operator.  I have used ProDive, and would recommend them.  Their boat is at the marina immediately adjacent to the cruise terminal so it's super simple, and their rental gear is very good.  (https://prodiversstkitts.com/).

St. Lucia:

St. Lucia has nice diving for sure, and again varied and abundant life.  St. Lucia's reefs are more dramatic than St. Kitts, but I would call the diving a little more advanced, but nothing that should deter you as a newer diver.  The operator I prefer here is Eastern Caribbean Divers. They pick up right at the cruise dock, and have a nice boat, nice people and good equipment.  (http://www.easterncaribbeandivingstlucia.com/index.html ).

St. Maarten:

This would be third on my list because the diving is good, but not the best in the Caribbean by far.  Since the hurricane, the Operator I used to use has changed hands and is no longer reliable.  As others make port stops in the coming months, we'll probably get some good new recommendations.  Regardless though it would be third on my list of these five ports due to dive quality. 

Antigua:

This is not worth bothering with, as the cruise ship docks in St. John, on the west-northwest portion of the island, and the diving is down on the south shore, near English Harbor.  I've done it, and it's more hassle than it's worth. 

San Juan:

Ther's no diving in San Juan proper.  The Hilton Hotel will do discover dives in their enclose beach area.  It's not worth bothering with. 

Harris

Denver, CO

Besides getting certified or doing a Discovery dive the third choice is to take an Open Water certification course and do the confined dives/book work at home and the open water dives  while on the cruise. You will do what it called "referral dives". 4 dives in 2 different ports on two different days.