Type of Seating AA business 777

TSUmom

I am trying to figure out which type of seats we will be in.  We are on an American 777 business.  AA seat map shows a 1-2-1 configuration with Rows 1-6 and then 7-10 without a 1st class.  We will be flying from DFW to Rome. I keep seeing different versions of the seats and wonder if there is way to find out which type we will have.  Thank you

What is your flight date?

Edited to add - 

Assuming this is for your October Mediterranean cruise, it looks like your plane will also carry premium economy, so that narrows the field a little.  AA operates 6 777-200s with 37 Zodiac BC seats and a PE section, and 27 772s with 37 B/E Aerospace "Super Diamond" seats (also with a PE cabin.)  So the odds are good that you'll get one of the B/E planes, but there will be no guarantees until the day of flight.  Both seat types have come in for praise and criticism, but either will be an order of magnitude more comfortable than PE, or, of course, ordinary economy.

Edited by Gardyloo

Thank you....I looked up the flight on seat guru but it shows that flight having 1st class seating which I know is not true.

Our return flight shows the same seating but as you said we probably wont know until we get on the plane.  It is rather confusing trying to research, especially when I first started looking for a 772...then to find 3 differing versions of the 777.  I guess it won't matter, I will just be happy not flying coach on such a long flight.  Thank you again.  Oh and you are correct it is our October flight

Edited by TSUmom

2 hours ago, Gardyloo said:

I  use Expert Flyer, a paid service that gives access to (more or less) real time seat maps.

You may be able access seat maps alone (if that's all you want) with the free ExpertFlyer option.

Although the $100 a year I spend on EF is some of my best value travel spend.

We have friends who recently flew AA and had the same questions. One of AA’s configurations has rear facing seats and one of the couple knew that was going to be problematic. Therefore our friends selected seats in two different adjacent rows to make sure that at least one of their seats faced forward. 

In the end, the plane actually used for their flight wasn’t what had shown when they made their seat selection but given it was an overnight flight they didn’t mind not sitting side by side. 

Edited by Clay Clayton

15 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We have friends who recently flew AA and had the same questions. One of AA’s configurations has rear facing seats and one of the couple knew that was going to be problematic. Therefore our friends selected seats in two different adjacent rows to make sure that at least one of their seats faced forward. 

In the end, the plane actually used for their flight wasn’t what had shown when they made their seat selection but given it was an overnight flight they didn’t mind not sitting side by side. 

Thank you - I think if we have that situation I will have to make my DH fly backward.  The only time I enjoy facing back is in an aft balcony......

5 minutes ago, TSUmom said:
15 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

One of AA’s configurations has rear facing seats and one of the couple knew that was going to be problematic.

I think if we have that situation I will have to make my DH fly backward.  The only time I enjoy facing back is in an aft balcony......

I'm never quite sure why people think it's such a big problem to fly when sitting facing aft. You barely notice any difference, and then only for a few minutes at the beginning and the end of the flight. Otherwise, you just cannot tell.

I spend a lot of my flying hours in cabins that basically have the same number of forward- and aft-facing seats. A good test is waking up in the middle of the night when there is very light inside or outside the cabin: it often takes some conscious mental effort to work out which way is forward, precisely because it feels no different.

+1 with Globaliser, I've flown BA Club World countless dozens of times in the almost 20yrs it has been around, and flown backwards on other airline seats. Apart from the immediate climb out and during landing you wouldn't even know.

In fact I prefer the backwards facing seats with flat beds because aircraft fly with a slight nose up attitude, so when you are facing backwards and sleeping flat your head is raised slightly. I find I sleep better, or wake up feeling better, this way, and to the amusement of crew on some flights I have slept with my head in the foot area on forward facing seats. A few have remarked I'm not the only one to do this, but you're generally limited to international first class as business class doesn't have the real space to do it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

I'm never quite sure why people think it's such a big problem to fly when sitting facing aft. You barely notice any difference, and then only for a few minutes at the beginning and the end of the flight. Otherwise, you just cannot tell.

I spend a lot of my flying hours in cabins that basically have the same number of forward- and aft-facing seats. A good test is waking up in the middle of the night when there is very light inside or outside the cabin: it often takes some conscious mental effort to work out which way is forward, precisely because it feels no different.

OK you talked me into giving it a try...that is if the configuration is that way.  From what I gather I won't really know what version I will be on until I board.

You can use an app such as Flightradar24 to see what registration the aircraft is. Here's the equivalent page for AA101 so just switch the flight number around. For example today's flight is operated by N753AN (at the time of writing).

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/aa101

You can then see from this page which configuration each aircraft has. N753AN has the forward facing B/E Super Diamond seats.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1344467-archive-777-200er-772-j-mce-pey-45j-37j-36.html

Be aware that there is a chance the aircraft could change even on the day, particularly at hubs if there are IRROPs.