Viking Ocean new policy limits wifi

glklein21

Just boarded the Viking Sky for the cruise up the coast of Norway "In Search of the Northern Lights."  Both my wife and I brought a computer and a cell phone. On five previous Viking Ocean cruises (plus one Viking River cruise), we've been able to log each device onto the wifi system all at the same time.  Today, after I connected my computer, I tried to connect my phone and got a message that I had reach the limit of number of devices connected (which at that point was one) and I would have to sign that one off to sign on a new one. Guest services told me this is a new policy designed to save bandwidth and increase speed, and said my wife could sign in and create her own account that also limited her to one device at a time.  I have to admit that the speed is much peppier than it's been before (possibly due in part to the fact that we're sitting in port in Bergen).  However having to constantly re-log in on one device and disconnect the wifi on the other device is extremely frustrating and time-consuming.

Edited by glklein21
typo

Thank you for the information on wifi. We are thinking of taking this trip next year. I am interested in your experience and success in seeing the Northern Lights. Information on weather, type of clothing and optional excursions suggestions.

We're skiers, so we have brought plenty of long underwear, sweaters, turtlenecks, gloves, neck gaiters, warm ski hats, ski pants, ski jackets and other cold-weather clothing to make sure we stay warm.  We even brought our ski helmets and goggles just in case. When I checked the temps in Tromso, they were in the mid-20s. There are plenty of optional excursions for whatever your interests. We're taking two nighttime excursions to hopefully see the Northern Lights; two dog-sled excursions, one snowmobile excursion and a visit to the Ice Hotel. 

26 minutes ago, glklein21 said:

I have to admit that the speed is much peppier than it's been before (possibly due in part to the fact that we're sitting in port in Bergen).

Obviously don't know what technology Viking utilise, but most cruise ships use satellite communications for wi-fi.

However, technology is available to automatically switch between multiple external communications sources. On my ships we used high speed, higher bandwidth when in line of sight with our terminals then automatically switched to slower cell towers when on passage.

While it is possible Viking is switching to faster/higher bandwidth shore based coms, I suspect the improvement is more likely due to the fact that many pax are ashore.

2 hours ago, PGI GUY said:

Thank you for the information on wifi. We are thinking of taking this trip next year. I am interested in your experience and success in seeing the Northern Lights. Information on weather, type of clothing and optional excursions suggestions.

Wow - quickest thread-drift ever. 😉

On the original topic, "unlimited free wifi" has been one of the differentiators of Viking as a cruise operator, and it's disappointing to see that changing.  Playing devil's advocate, I can see Viking's point (i.e. one wifi connection per pax).  After all, you don't normally need to be actively using two internet connections at the same time.  However, if connecting your phone to the wifi in order to use the Viking Voyager app (as they clearly intend us to), it means you can't then connect a computer or tablet for the purpose of doing actual internet stuff.  You'd first have to forcibly disconnect your phone from wifi, then use your computer, then disconnect your computer and reconnect your phone.  And you then can't use Viking Voyager while you're on your computer.  I agree with the OP - this would be very frustrating and time-consuming.

Do we know if this is an experiment on Viking's part, or actually a line-wide policy change? (I suppose I should be asking Tellus that question).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, just_dont said:

You'd first have to forcibly disconnect your phone from wifi, then use your computer, then disconnect your computer and reconnect your phone.  And you then can't use Viking Voyager while you're on your computer. 

Forcibly????????   Inconvenient perhaps. 

15 minutes ago, I like vacation said:

Forcibly????????   Inconvenient perhaps. 

All I meant is that you have to manually disable wifi on your phone to force (i.e. cause) it to disconnect.  It won't do it on it's own after all.  And certainly not confusing "forcibly" with "forcefully."

It's clearly inconvenient, and having to keep switching between which one device is connected, leads to frustration.  Not something you want while on vacation, nor expect from Viking.

(and seriously, eight question marks?)

Edited by just_dont

19 minutes ago, just_dont said:

All I meant is that you have to manually disable wifi on your phone to force (i.e. cause) it to disconnect.  It won't do it on it's own after all.  And certainly not confusing "forcibly" with "forcefully."

It's clearly inconvenient, and having to keep switching between which one device is connected, leads to frustration.  Not something you want while on vacation, nor expect from Viking.

At least Viking allows each passenger the ability to set up a "free" account to use one device at a time.  On HAL, you pay for an internet package that only permits one device at a time, not one per passenger, unless you both purchase an internet package.  We switch back and forth all the time.  All I really care about is the internet speed and access once at sea when everyone else is trying to surf the web, check emails and sends pics home to family about the day's adventures.

Edited by I like vacation
sp

Thanks for letting us know about the new internet policy  but please, let's not get our knickers in a twist.  The new policy is still better than having to pay for internet. They aren't limiting how many gigs you can use, they are merely telling you that you can only connect one device at a time. That we are crying over the fact that we are going to have to turn off the wi-fi on one device and then enable the other is laughable. Sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats. Bring on the violins!

IMHO, it is about time Viking took some steps to limit the abuses. Next I hope they do something about the folks who insist on streaming movies.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Thanks for letting us know about the new internet policy  but please, let's not get our knickers in a twist.  The new policy is still better than having to pay for internet. They aren't limiting how many gigs you can use, they are merely telling you that you can only connect one device at a time. That we are crying over the fact that we are going to have to turn off the wi-fi on one device and then enable the other is laughable. Sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats. Bring on the violins!

First World Problems. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We are on the same cruise, Wi-fi is great, food fantastic tonight in the world cafe and Bergen was dry, relatively warm and a stunning sunset viewed from the explorer lounge with a glass of red, what’s not to like.

• Like 2

Of course you may pay more for wifi on other cruiselines but then you aren’t comparing apples with oranges when it comes to other things in play like the cost of the overall cruise. Every cruise line has its point of differentiation so saying that you have to pay for wifi on other ships isn’t really relevant.

On the other hand with the heading I was more concerned that wifi could only be used for a certain number of hours a day or a limit of downloads so having to disengage one device isn’t so bad. And if you can both set up an account well the problem almost disappears. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, glklein21 said:

Guest services told me this is a new policy designed to save bandwidth and increase speed, and said my wife could sign in and create her own account that also limited her to one device at a time.

Just curious, did your wife actually create her own account?  Wondering because as I recall, "signing in" was just a basic last name and cabin #, don't remember setting anything else involved.  Only reason we would want two simultaneous devices with access is for a occasional text to coordinate meeting place and time if we are doing something on our own.

2 minutes ago, jiminyC_fan said:

I don't mind it at all.  Do we really need to run two things at a time?  Logging in really isn't a chore.

I don't know whether or not it will be an issue.  I suppose I'll find out in June.

I'd been planning on having my phone connected to ship's wifi 100%, both for the Viking Voyager app as well as wifi calling/messaging and WhatsApp communication. But I'm also planning on bringing a laptop (for a number of personal reasons).

The one-device rule will mean I'll have to disconnect my phone in order to connect my laptop (I know, First  World Problem).

I have no intentions of being a bandwidth hog; there are no pre-conceived notions of being able to (or wanting to) stream anything.  And while it's possible to do almost everything by smartphone these days, there are several things that are made much easier by computer.  In my mind it's less about running two things at the same time as it is about having to keep track of which device is logged in - the laptop or the "personal communication device" (i.e. phone).  I'd hate to have forgotten to re-connect the phone after using the laptop and have my DW be unable to contact me (again, FWP).  I remember the early days of cell phones thinking "why would anyone need to be constantly reachable," but now I can't imagine life any other way.

Honestly, if given the choice (which I realize we're not), I'd probably rather have a per-day data limit (per stateroom) or even bandwidth cap (per device) than the one-device-per-person limit.

I’ve read quite a few Viking cruise reviews and those that include comments about the WiFi experience on board left me with a generally positive impression of the service.  A few who have compared their Viking experience with other cruise lines commented positively on the ability at Viking to use multiple devices at once. 

We may not need to use multiple devices at one time, although admittedly I am posting right now from my iPad while keeping track of an interesting Messenger thread from my kids on my phone. It’s that requirement to log off from one then log on to the other that would be a bit bothersome.  I just wonder how much Viking gains by making this change?  Is the speed that much greater for the few(er) that struggled with WiFi speed as opposed to creating a bothersome task that most of their passengers will suffer?  

I think the OP has a valid question/concern here.

• Like 1

if I'm reading right they are limiting to 'one device per person at any time' .....

so as to block you signing on with your phone, pad and laptop and never signing off ... as does your spouse .... and thereby consuming bandwidth and 'connections'

a valid concern IMO and not an unreasonable request

btw, I 'bought' satellite internet access for a fleet of ships and am WELL aware of the technical issues . . . .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jimpod said:

Just off Viking Star and I had both my IPad and phone connected at the same time.  No issues.

Interesting. I wonder if this issue is related to the particular cruise In Search of the Northern Lights, where internet service may be less reliable?

I was on the Viking Northern Lights cruise a few weeks ago.  It was a wonderful cruise.  

They had the same limitation of a single device at a time per person on my cruise.  While it was inconvenient, I can understand why they do this and could live with it.  Unfortunately, there was a number of long stretches where the Internet was quite spotty during the cruise, but for the most part keeping up with emails and reading news online worked well enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ropomo said:

Just curious, did your wife actually create her own account?  Wondering because as I recall, "signing in" was just a basic last name and cabin #, don't remember setting anything else involved.  Only reason we would want two simultaneous devices with access is for a occasional text to coordinate meeting place and time if we are doing something on our own.

I am on the current cruise as well. My husband and I each have our own account. On the Sky when you log in, you are asked for your cabin number, then your last name, and finally your birthdate. Then you are asked to creat a 4 digit pin.

If you log into a second device, you are given the option to disconnect the connected device. 

3 hours ago, cruzzzinma said:

I am on the current cruise as well. My husband and I each have our own account. On the Sky when you log in, you are asked for your cabin number, then your last name, and finally your birthdate. Then you are asked to creat a 4 digit pin.

If you log into a second device, you are given the option to disconnect the connected device. 

Well then its a good thing that my DW and I were born one day apart, or we'd have a problem :classic_wink:

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2019 at 2:32 PM, just_dont said:

(and seriously, eight question marks?)

The switch from one device to the other requires no action to disconnect the first device.  When you sign in the new one, it disconnects the first.  The interface asks which person in the cabin is taking the action, so don't disconnect your significant other's device by mistake.  Or else...

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, eylarson said:

The interface asks which person in the cabin is taking the action, so don't disconnect your significant other's device by mistake.  Or else...

We used the same pin. When I changed mine, the app quit asking who I was...