Memory Cards

Speaking of memory cards.  I have my Sony RX10 III that I recently purchased.  I have a single SANDISK Extreme Pro 64GB card.  I was at Costco today and they had a pack of 2 - 128 Extreme MicroSD cards with adaptors for $39.99.  Should I or should I not go back and purchase these?  I know some people don't like the adaptors and I know that these aren't the extreme pro, but that's a pretty good price for that kind of storage.  Thanks.

10 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

Speaking of memory cards.  I have my Sony RX10 III that I recently purchased.  I have a single SANDISK Extreme Pro 64GB card.  I was at Costco today and they had a pack of 2 - 128 Extreme MicroSD cards with adaptors for $39.99.  Should I or should I not go back and purchase these?  I know some people don't like the adaptors and I know that these aren't the extreme pro, but that's a pretty good price for that kind of storage.  Thanks.

They probably wouldn't cause any speed issues unless you are shooting 4K video. If you have a tablet that supports microSD cards, it may be easy to transfer or view images. Basically, it's a good price on memory. Unless you have a specific need for the microSD format, the price is the only shiny feature.

My 2¢...

Dave

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vermonter16 said:

The adapters that Sandisk includes are passive wiring adapters--so it should not affect speed on the UHS-I microSD cards, which is the speed that the RX10 maxes out at, anyway. The older generic adapters tended to warp and get stuck in the card readers/cameras--but I haven't had that issue using any of the adapters I've come across over the past several years.

That being said, picking up the microSD card really does come down to what your copying/archiving/viewing workflow is. Some laptops have built-in microSD card readers ONLY (Dell XPS 13, for instance) so copying files while you're on a cruise, for instance, would require a dongle to view those files if you have full-sized SD cards. That being said, when I have a bunch of 4k video from my drones and I'm copying them to my computer, I always freak out when I drop the microSD cards and they get lose under things on my desk or floor.

• Like 1

Thanks all for the advice.  My laptop which I'll be taking uses a microsd reader so that would be convenient.  I did purchase them but am keeping them in the package right now just in case I change my mind.  I'm headed to Alaska in early May and only have 1 - 64GB SD card so I really want more storage before I go.  

5 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

Thanks all for the advice.  My laptop which I'll be taking uses a microsd reader so that would be convenient.  I did purchase them but am keeping them in the package right now just in case I change my mind.  I'm headed to Alaska in early May and only have 1 - 64GB SD card so I really want more storage before I go.  

If you want to purchase more microSD cards, consider the Samsung EVO Select at Amazon. These are Class 10 U3 cards and have the same spec as EVO+. The 128GB is $19.99 and the 256GB is $39.99. Don't buy the 64GB one as it has lower write speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSD-Adapter-MB-ME128GA-AM/dp/B06XWZWYVP/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3CDM5XFFP2Z8Q&keywords=evo+plus+micro+sd+card&qid=1554857463&s=electronics&sprefix=Evo+plus+%2Celectronics%2C164&sr=1-4

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tourist1292 said:

If you want to purchase more microSD cards, consider the Samsung EVO Select at Amazon. These are Class 10 U3 cards and have the same spec as EVO+. The 128GB is $19.99 and the 256GB is $39.99. Don't buy the 64GB one as it has lower write speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSD-Adapter-MB-ME128GA-AM/dp/B06XWZWYVP/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3CDM5XFFP2Z8Q&keywords=evo+plus+micro+sd+card&qid=1554857463&s=electronics&sprefix=Evo+plus+%2Celectronics%2C164&sr=1-4

I've noticed that although more expensive ($21/64gig), the Sandisk Extreme Pro are the same speed (170/90) as the 128gig. I only avoided the 128 due to not wanting too much in one basket sort of thing. And to spthealien, check out post #13 in this thread for my suggestion of keeping track of those little buggers. I find them very hard to handle and keep from hiding.

3 hours ago, masterdrago said:

I've noticed that although more expensive ($21/64gig), the Sandisk Extreme Pro are the same speed (170/90) as the 128gig. I only avoided the 128 due to not wanting too much in one basket sort of thing. And to spthealien, check out post #13 in this thread for my suggestion of keeping track of those little buggers. I find them very hard to handle and keep from hiding.

The slower speed of 64GB only applies to the EVO Select line.