Car rental for the day - recommended companies?

rpanda

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had very good experience with Jays when vacationing in Aruba. I've never tried it while on a cruise, but you could reach out to them and see if they rent to cruisers. FYI - Right now, there is a massive road construction project going on around the island.  They are in the process of changing almost all of the stoplights to roundabouts.  There are so many road closures and detours around the island that many of us who've been staying there for years are concerned about getting around the island.  A lot of the roads are not well marked.  We didn't enjoy driving in Aruba back in February.  If we were going there in the next few months, we would use public transportation and tours.

We were there yesterday and had one detour. We drove from boca Catalina to arashni to Phillips garden to the ruins to gold mine ranch and to the car rental at the airport and were fine. Carvenience drove us to port and once again, no detours. We had downloaded Google maps and were fine. We had only our ship in. I guess it depends on where you want to go. 

There are many new proj

14 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

We were there yesterday and had one detour. We drove from boca Catalina to arashni to Phillips garden to the ruins to gold mine ranch and to the car rental at the airport and were fine. Carvenience drove us to port and once again, no detours. We had downloaded Google maps and were fine. We had only our ship in. I guess it depends on where you want to go. 

There are several new projects that haven't started yet. There will be many more detours coming in the next few weeks. There are also issues with some of the roundabouts that are being built right now, causing serious accidents. 

Edited by Hatteras51

I'm just reporting what I observed yesterday and it was not what I would call a deterrent to renting a car. Everyone is different. I would rather have a car and the freedom to go where I want then to be stuck on a bus, taxi or one of the giant party buses. If having a few detours and circles is part of it, i would much rather deal with that.  If knowing that there is a possibility of detours makes you nervous, then take a bus or taxi 

Edited by jean87510

2 hours ago, jean87510 said:

I'm just reporting what I observed yesterday and it was not what I would call a deterrent to renting a car. Everyone is different. I would rather have a car and the freedom to go where I want then to be stuck on a bus, taxi or one of the giant party buses. If having a few detours and circles is part of it, i would much rather deal with that.  If knowing that there is a possibility of detours makes you nervous, then take a bus or taxi 

Sorry, I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm glad that you had a great day and that you enjoyed Aruba.  I'm just trying to let others know that the driving situation is going to get more challenging in the upcoming months. The Aruban authorities have even put out detailed fliers to warn tourists of the upcoming changes, but cruisers coming in for the day won't have all of this information,  so I'm just trying to them a heads up. I enjoy getting out and exploring, also. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. 

• 4 weeks later...

We have used Wheels2Go each time we do a land vacation there and had nothing but great experiences. 

Make sure you download the maps.me app and you don't even have to have internet to use it. Aruba is fairly easy to navigate and the maps will help. You can get on there and put "pins" where you want to go before getting to Aruba and then just map it. Awesome app. 

Enjoy your time in Aruba. 

• 3 weeks later...

We had a great experience with Jay's in January 2019.  Our cruise had several itinerary and date changes and Jay's was very accommodating.  We picked up and returned the car right at the port, couldn't have been easier!  I totally agree with Mitsugirly on the maps.me app, it is great!