Regent Passengers

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

In my opinion, she does not give typical "port talks".  She goes in-depth and, as you know, continues her commentary in places like Alaska and the Amazon while the ship is transiting the areas.

She definitely sometimes does "port talks" as well as the other talks. To choose just one example, she did an extensive talk about what to look for in buying a "Panama" hat when we were approaching Manta Ecuador.  One of the excursions was to Montecristi from Manta specifically for hats. Montecristi is traditionally where these hat have been made.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:25 PM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I think a lot of Regent fans are getting older, plain and simple!  We, for example, first sailed a (then) Radisson ship in the year 2000.  So I was almost 51.  Now nineteen years later, and guess what?  I'm 70!

Yes there are lots of younger cruisers, on some itineraries, as others have said, especially shorter ones.  Longer cruises, not so much.  We're close to being the geriatric ones now!

Well, I haven't cruise Regent as long as you---but I did start cruising long ago and I have to agree with you, w\e are getting older and we are the older ones now on the cruise (well not the oldest, but maybe soon).  😁

3 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Well, I haven't cruise Regent as long as you---but I did start cruising long ago and I have to agree with you, w\e are getting older and we are the older ones now on the cruise (well not the oldest, but maybe soon).  😁

While I do not personally mind being part of the older demographic of Regent, I must admit that I find posts that sound as if they would prefer a younger crowd disturbing.  In my opinion (and only In my opinion) younger cruisers need to realize that Regent could not likely fill their ships with passengers in their 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's since they are still working and their children are too young to appreciate Regent.

3 hours ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

She definitely sometimes does "port talks" as well as the other talks. To choose just one example, she did an extensive talk about what to look for in buying a "Panama" hat when we were approaching Manta Ecuador.  One of the excursions was to Montecristi from Manta specifically for hats. Montecristi is traditionally where these hat have been made.

We love Montecristi!  Wish that we could do it again but, unless we went to South America (a place that we have no plans on ever returning to), we cannot repeat our lovely visit to this area.

On 5/21/2019 at 10:48 AM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Those who have cruised with me, know all about my oxygen and my red mobility scooter. We have traveled the world by land and sea with my special needs. 

We book only excursions that I can handle. If it is tough, I just stay on the bus. Yes, I need the front seat because of my disability. But always wait to be the last to get off, while my DH sets up the scooter. 

I have never held up a group because I know my limitations and adjust accordingly. 

Most people are very courteous. However, there are some, who get on the bus with just a cane, and demand the handicapped seat, regardless if there are others who really need it. 

So, every cruise ship has some good people and some grouchy people. We go with the flow because that’s life on the high seas!

Sheila

I feel much the same as you, I think.  I have some physical limitations that preclude participating in more strenuous excursions.  I don't use a scooter or walker -- so far, I do fine in without needing aids of that type, especially onboard the ship.  But since I can't know for sure whether I'll actually be able to handle the physical challenges of a particular port/excursion, I rarely book any excursions in advance, even the ones marked "easy" or whatever.  

On my first cruise in 2017 (not RSSC), I had booked a "panoramic tour" 2.5 hr excursion rated "easy" -- the description made it sound just fine.  I can manage a few stairs to get into/out of a bus or van, and this one was a drive through the countryside with some "scenic overlook" stops to take photos.  Great!  I can handle that!  EXCEPT -- they didn't mention that to get from the ship to the pick-up point for the excursion, you had to walk about 1/4 of a mile, the last half of it uphill on uneven pavement.  No shuttle, no "golf cart" -- you were expected to walk, which works great for someone with perfectly healthy lungs and joints that still work like they're supposed to.  Me -- not so much.

I refuse to be "that person" that slows everyone else down. I'm usually OK if I walk slowly to manage my breathing, but that won't work in a group excursion situation.  So, until I've had a chance to size up a port and the actual physical demands required to participate in even the "easy" excursions, I'm more than happy to just walk off the ship while in port, walk around a bit, take a few photos, and get right back onto the ship to relax with a glass of wine on my balcony.  And the NEXT time I visit that port, I'll know the layout and what might be possible for planned excursions.

Back on topic -- on my first (and so far only) RSSC cruise last fall, I'd say the age range was low-40s to 90s (this was a 28-day Vancouver to Miami trip via Alaska and the Panama Canal); most from US and Canada, although one of my "next door neighbors" was a couple from Germany, and the other was a nice lady from Switzerland.  Some Brits, and few Aussies -- nice mix of folks.  

Lana in Bellingham, WA

1 hour ago, MalbecWine said:

You are as young as you feel.  Age today is just a number.  Tick that bucket list off.

Yes! I like to say (maybe because Ive been getting older) that Age is just  a construct. I hate when people try to place people in groups according to age, there's such a wide spectrum!

I started cruising Regent when I was in my mid 40s, and must say I dont find a big difference in demographics now as compared to 20 years ago. If anything , maybe it has gotten a bit "younger". I would have never brought my kids, even as young adults. Dont think it would be for them. But again, that depends on the "kids". 

Lana

Sorry you had a problem with tour information. I had that problem several years ago before I had my scooter.  

When we board our ship, one of the first things I do is visit the Excursions desk. I review questions such as where do we join the bus etc. I try to understand and adjust, if necessary. I tend to find the tours are easier rather than difficult for me. Sometimes, I don’t get off the bus at every stop. Interesting, last year Herb and I did a 4x4 tour in the Azores and it worked out great. Never know. Always check before your tour. 

Sheila

• Like 1

Like most people it's good to know your limits and pick tours that are suited for you.  What bothers me more is people without manners and think about themself only, disabled or not!  Nothing is more important than being a good person and treating others like you'd want to be treated.  Life is simple, time is short so enjoy life while you can, it's not that hard to be kind😍.

• Like 4

Lana,

I would book the tours you really want asap and then when you board, check with Destinations. That way you'll have the time you want. Sheila's advice is very good.

Also, be sure you tell Destinations when you arrive that you need a seat at the front of the bus (handicapped) for all your tours. They will be sure it is reserved for you.

I'm hoping we'll have experiences people for the '20WC - we did in '19.

I agree with you about the distance from the ship to the bus but unfortunately that isn't always something which is known before we're actually docked. I think the problem is that ship's staff is not allowed to help passengers off the ship. We can talk about this at some point.

Looking forward to meeting you . . .

Peggy

Edited by xrvlcruiser
added a sentence

From US News and World Report 2019 best luxury cruise lines

Regent (#5)

Older, well-traveled couples frequent Regent Seven Seas Cruises, especially on longer voyages. However, don't be surprised if you see avid adult cruisers of all ages, ranging from their mid-30s to late 80s. You likely won't encounter children on board with the exception of certain family-friendly spotlight itineraries during the summer and around holiday breaks.”

https://travel.usnews.com/cruises/regent-seven-seas-cruises-299/

Edited by snuggarelli
Added link to article

11 hours ago, snuggarelli said:

From US News and World Report 2019 best luxury cruise lines

Regent (#5)

Older, well-traveled couples frequent Regent Seven Seas Cruises, especially on longer voyages. However, don't be surprised if you see avid adult cruisers of all ages, ranging from their mid-30s to late 80s. You likely won't encounter children on board with the exception of certain family-friendly spotlight itineraries during the summer and around holiday breaks.”

https://travel.usnews.com/cruises/regent-seven-seas-cruises-299/

Where Regent rates in different publication rating systems is meaningless to many people*, however, In my opinion, the write-up is right on!

*The article rates premium plus cruise lines with luxury cruise lines.  This is typical and is why these ratings are, In my opinion, meaningless.

Edited by Travelcat2

Meaningless to some but important to others in selecting a cruise line. Only seven were listed in the report I saw.  Regent was number five.

Which luxury cruise line is the best?

After reviewing this Thread, had a flash-back to a posting made several years ago.  It relates to basic good manners and common sense during interactions with shipmates.  Here it is: 

Life is short, and we do not have much time to be a blessing to others. 

So, be swift to love,

and make haste to be kind.

------

GOARMY!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MalbecWine said:

Meaningless to some but important to others in selecting a cruise line. Only seven were listed in the report I saw.  Regent was number five.

Which luxury cruise line is the best?

Your "list" did not appear.  Of course people are interested in the "results" but they also need to know that three of the listed cruise lines (Azamara, Oceania and Viking) are not luxury cruise lines.  

While not as bad as when one luxury cruise line that allegedly awarded their passengers for participating in these "polls", I still question who participated in the poll. Was it people that sailed on all of the cruise lines, people that have an affinity for one cruise line or even people that have never cruised?  We do not know the answer to this which is why it is important to remind posters of what I believe are inaccuracies in these polls.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:01 PM, xrvlcruiser said:

Lana,

I would book the tours you really want asap and then when you board, check with Destinations. That way you'll have the time you want. Sheila's advice is very good.

Also, be sure you tell Destinations when you arrive that you need a seat at the front of the bus (handicapped) for all your tours. They will be sure it is reserved for you.

I'm hoping we'll have experiences people for the '20WC - we did in '19.

I agree with you about the distance from the ship to the bus but unfortunately that isn't always something which is known before we're actually docked. I think the problem is that ship's staff is not allowed to help passengers off the ship. We can talk about this at some point.

Looking forward to meeting you . . .

Peggy

Thanks, Peggy --

After reading here, I'll definitely take the advice to visit Destinations as soon as I board.  I've gone through the list of excursions and marked the ones that look a) interesting and b) doable, and I found quite a few.  I do have issues with heat/humidity, so I'm taking that into account as well.  Overall, though, I'm fully expecting to enjoy myself whether I'm able to do any particular excursion or not.  I love the shipboard experience on the Mariner -- the friendly passengers, the wonderful crew, and of course the excellent food/wine.

Lana in Bellingham, WA

• Like 1