Transportation to Crystal Caves

berry15

I will be in Bermuda in June and we plan to visit the caves.  There is a ship excursion but I was considering going on my own.  I think  the way to do it is to take the ferry to Hamilton and then either a bus or cab.  Does anyone know the cost of the ferry and the bus.  Also, is it a long bus ride from the ferry?  

Thank you for any assistance. 

3 hours ago, berry15 said:

I will be in Bermuda in June and we plan to visit the caves.  There is a ship excursion but I was considering going on my own.  I think  the way to do it is to take the ferry to Hamilton and then either a bus or cab.  Does anyone know the cost of the ferry and the bus.  Also, is it a long bus ride from the ferry?  

Thank you for any assistance. 

Cash fare for the buses and ferry  will be $5 per person per ride, so $10 per person one way to the caves. On the buses if using cash only coins, not bills, are allowed. You can buy tokens to use for $4.50 each . There are also single day and multi-day passes that allow unlimited use of the buses and ferries. An adult one day  pass is $19, 2 day pass $31.50 and 3 day pass $44. Each person must have his/her own pass.

It's about a 5 minute walk from the ferry terminal to the bus depot and then 30 to 40 minutes, depending on bus route, from Hamilton to the caves.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

I will be quicker if you took the ferry to St George. The caves are maybe a 10-15 minute bus ride from there. Also, you can do some sightseeing in St George. There was a lady on the ferry offering a walking for around $10. The buses you will take are the #'s 8, 10 & 11 puts you right on front of the of the property but is about a 3 min walk to the visitors center. FYI across the street from where you get off the bus is The Swizzle Inn which is another popular tourist spot. And there is Tom Moore's Tavern is within walking distance of Crystal Caves. To get back to the ship you can either go back to St. George or hop on the bus the same place you got off and go into Hamilton and take the ferry back to the ship. By doing this you can see different parts of the island along to way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Islandgirl441 said:

I will be quicker if you took the ferry to St George. The caves are maybe a 10-15 minute bus ride from there. Also, you can do some sightseeing in St George. There was a lady on the ferry offering a walking for around $10. The buses you will take are the #'s 8, 10 & 11 puts you right on front of the of the property but is about a 3 min walk to the visitors center. FYI across the street from where you get off the bus is The Swizzle Inn which is another popular tourist spot. And there is Tom Moore's Tavern is within walking distance of Crystal Caves. To get back to the ship you can either go back to St. George or hop on the bus the same place you got off and go into Hamilton and take the ferry back to the ship. By doing this you can see different parts of the island along to way.

If it's quicker, it's 5 minutes at most. Per the bus schedule, the ride from St. George to the caves is 20 minutes, not 10-15. The ferry to St. George takes 45 minutes, the ferry to Hamilton 20 minutes, so the shorter bus ride is offset by the longer ferry ride. Also we don't know what day of the week the OP will be going to the caves. If it's a Saturday or Sunday there will be no ferry service to St. George.

Also, the correct bus route numbers are 1, 3 , 10 and 11. The #8 runs between Dockyard and Hamilton, not between St. George and Hamilton.

There's certainly nothing wrong with going via St. George or going via Hamilton in one direction and St. George in the other...and certainly a visit to St. George is a good idea, and lots of people like the Swizzle Inn, but let's try to set the recommendations in an accurate factual framework. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the info.  I will not be there on a Saturday or Sunday so the ferry to St. George might be the way I go.  I have not been to St. George in many years and the Swizzle Inn sounds tempting.

Thank you