What to do in Isafjordur, Iceland for the day?

This will be our first time going to Isafjordur, Iceland.

I was wondering what is their not to miss seeing in Isafjordur??

and what would you recommend doing here for the day?? :classic_unsure:

Any ideas / suggestions or tips are welcome 😊

When we were there last summer, we took a tour to the multi-tiered Dynjandi waterfall (where you can hike up along the tiers). Coming and going, we drove through an amazing tunnel.  It’s not only long and narrow, but it also has an intersection in it with another road going in a different direction.  Remarkable.   The tour we did took up most of the day, and it was pouring rain, so we didn’t spend time in Isafjordur itself.

FYI, this is a tender port.  When we were there in 2016, I enjoyed walking around this quaint little town.  I visited the public garden and walked through the rest of the town.  Here's their website:  https://www.westfjords.is/en/moya/toy/index/town/isafjordur.  It's in a magnificent setting, between two flat-topped mountains.  I can't imagine living in such an isolated place, but it was interesting place to visit.

Spent a day there on a transatlantic cruise a few year ago.  My husband and I walked around their harbor (some neat sculptures along the way) visited the  maritime Museum...interesting but small, and strolled through the public garden, also small but pretty.  Since two cruise ships were in port, the tiny town center was crowded. Frankly, of all the places we have been in Iceland (a week independently in 2006 then 4 days on this cruise) we found Isafjordur the least interesting of all.  If I were to visit again, I would definitely take that tour to the waterfalls. Folks who did that on our cruise said they enjoyed the experience.

It depends on the ship if you tender or not as they do have a dock.

We spent 2 days there a couple years ago and we love this town.  There's the most amazing fish restaurant there called Tjöruhúsið :

https://www.facebook.com/Tjoruhusid/

They just keep bringing out fresh fish/shellfish dish after fresh dish and it keeps changing.  Very fresh and hot and cooked with care and thought.  We did dinner, not sure how lunch works, but amazing.  We'll be back in Iceland in the fall and actually thought about flying up there just to eat there again (but we won't).

Turtle's thoughts are great.  Dynjandi is spectacular.  If you have time to do Hornstrandir it's a gorgeous nature preserve at the far north part of Iceland.  You can rent a car and just drive around.  There's an Arctic Fox preserve not far from Isafjordur you can drive to.

Pics below are Dynjandi close up, the food at Tjöruhúsið (salads close to you, all the fishes further away), and Dynjandi from further away

P1010456.JPG

P1010541.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

Edited by Nitemare

We walked round the village and along  the fjord side which was quite pleasant. We also found a small fishing museum which showed a film of how hard the fishing  used to be when they only had small wooden boats. There are a couple of nice cafes in the town.  When sailing in and out if the fjord, keep your eye out for whales. We saw several in the afternoon on our way out.

On 3/16/2019 at 9:58 PM, Turtles06 said:

When we were there last summer, we took a tour to the multi-tiered Dynjandi waterfall (where you can hike up along the tiers). Coming and going, we drove through an amazing tunnel.  It’s not only long and narrow, but it also has an intersection in it with another road going in a different direction.  Remarkable.   The tour we did took up most of the day, and it was pouring rain, so we didn’t spend time in Isafjordur itself.

What tour company did you use?  Thank you.

We rented bicycles and went to the waterfalls. It is very safe to ride bicycles there.Nature is just beautiful in Isafjordur. There are tours that you can book too, like the food tour or the cultural tours, and you can visit the maritime museum.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...