Accessible Venice

kitty9

IIRC, our cruiseline provided an accessible shuttle that took us to a location where we could easily catch a water bus. There are special rates for disabled people

"Finally, passengers with wheelchairs can buy single-fare "disabled tickets" at heavily-discounted rates from ACTV ticket booths and Hellovenezia offices. Each ticket is valid for 75 minutes, and a companion travels free.

Once you have a pass or a supply of tickets, you'll be able to get between the city's various "accessibility zones" on the map by using the water buses. (The city claims that about 70 per cent of the streets in the historic center are accessible by vaporetto.)

This strategy works especially well on the Grand Canal, the Giudecca Canal, and the Lido, where the No. 1 and No. 2 routes are wheelchair-accessible."

Taken from this website  https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/accessible_venice.htm

I don't know how accessible the 'people mover' is, I'm afraid.

I'm lucky in that I am able to walk a bit, so I walked over a couple of bridges while OH carried my chair. It would take more thought if this were not possible.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kitty – Ruth did not keep detailed notes in her records. I know that she used the public buses and stayed on the mainland at the Hotel Holiday a couple days before our cruise. She said that she used the public buses to get everywhere. At that time, the ship's shuttle would pick up and drop off at the area where the public buses used for when entering or leaving Venice.

• 8 months later...

Last night on the BBC News

they were showing Venice canal water levels

so low the canals bottoms were showing, drained almost dry!

Mud showing at the bottom!

Just a month ago they had severe flooding! WTH is going on, there?

• 2 weeks later...

Venice is quite accessible, from the cruise port take the peoplemover to Piazzale Roma, then take the number 1 vaporetto (this is the most accessible vaporetto  route) to where you want to go. It has two wheelchair spaces, takes scooters. You need to pay attention that the no 1 goes to vaporetto stops where you may be confined to the immediate area due to there being bridges with steps, some bridges near St Marks do have very steep ramps but these are doable. The no 1 does go to St Marks so you can go around the St Marks and Arsenale area. The tourist office in Piazzale Roma has an accessible guide to Venice, this shows various routes using the no 1 vaporetto. We did this in September, spending a week in Venice, it was great. 
The peoplemover costs around 1.50 and has lifts to the tram itself. Very easy. Please feel free to ask more questions.