Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 12

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, March 18 and Sunday, March 24

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

21 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

Sadly I had cloud cover, but got a really nice shot a few nights earlier.  My first time editing wavelets.

MoonstackWave.jpg

Nice picture! What settings did you use? I don't know what wavelets are. I'm new to all this. I took the picture then cropped it in the camera (that's my extend of editing).

19 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

Nice picture! What settings did you use? I don't know what wavelets are. I'm new to all this. I took the picture then cropped it in the camera (that's my extend of editing).

1/60th second exposure, ISO 100 full frame Canon using a 2032mm F/10 telescope.  Vignetting is a major issue with the adapter I use, but thankfully the moon is round so it isn't noticeable.  There are some techniques to deal with that, but I haven't really explored them yet.

I'm just learning about wavelets; the idea is you can break the image into multiple layers based on detail and edit them independently.  In practice, this image is sharpened at certain layers and not at others, allowing me to avoid making the noise look worse but still getting sharper craters.  

Another common technique is stacking multiple frames.  By averaging them together, it eliminates a lot of the variable distortions caused by the atmosphere.  I've been playing with that too, but it never seems quite as sharp as I want it.  Still, folks that actually know what they are doing get stunning results!

BTW, I love the duck shots, especially the one of the female about to touch down!  I need to get a nice zoom lens :).  Got a hole between 135mm and 2032mm right now.  Plus the big one has a fixed aperture and weighs close to 20 pounds, so not really great for wildlife!

Edited by AL3XCruise

A new 9-18 mm lens (18-36 mm in 35-speak) was calling to me, and I needed pictures of a contemplation labyrinth on the grounds of a church nearby for a class I'm teaching.

P3230029.thumb.JPG.68f321183bfe2b2855e8f18484e4a039.JPG

The labyrinth, although modeled on the famous one in Chartres cathedral, is just small stepping stones set into the lawn.

P3230031.thumb.JPG.0a9f96ca5b61c3fcecdaf6605d750461.JPG

23 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

1/60th second exposure, ISO 100 full frame Canon using a 2032mm F/10 telescope.  Vignetting is a major issue with the adapter I use, but thankfully the moon is round so it isn't noticeable.  There are some techniques to deal with that, but I haven't really explored them yet.

I'm just learning about wavelets; the idea is you can break the image into multiple layers based on detail and edit them independently.  In practice, this image is sharpened at certain layers and not at others, allowing me to avoid making the noise look worse but still getting sharper craters.  

Another common technique is stacking multiple frames.  By averaging them together, it eliminates a lot of the variable distortions caused by the atmosphere.  I've been playing with that too, but it never seems quite as sharp as I want it.  Still, folks that actually know what they are doing get stunning results!

BTW, I love the duck shots, especially the one of the female about to touch down!  I need to get a nice zoom lens :).  Got a hole between 135mm and 2032mm right now.  Plus the big one has a fixed aperture and weighs close to 20 pounds, so not really great for wildlife!

Thanks for the information. I don't think I'll ever  doing editing like that. I'm using a Tamron 18-400mm now. I don't like to change lenses so this gives me a good range (although I would like to be able to zoom more).

35 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

Thanks for the information. I don't think I'll ever  doing editing like that. I'm using a Tamron 18-400mm now. I don't like to change lenses so this gives me a good range (although I would like to be able to zoom more).

Astrophotography is probably the most complex editing there is, at least short of certain industrial and scientific applications.  Do you like the Tamron?  I'm seriously considering a 150-600 lens, and both Tamron and Sigma have options in my price range.

4 hours ago, kochleffel said:

The labyrinth, although modeled on the famous one in Chartres cathedral, is just small stepping stones set into the lawn.

I thought it was a corn maze for ants ;).

22 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

Astrophotography is probably the most complex editing there is, at least short of certain industrial and scientific applications.  Do you like the Tamron?  I'm seriously considering a 150-600 lens, and both Tamron and Sigma have options in my price range.

I thought it was a corn maze for ants ;).

I'm not the best one to ask about lenses. I don't think my photos are clear enough. I'm assuming it's me and not the camera or lens.

Never give your wife a gift with a cord. Even with "unless asked for" as a reasonable caveat, it is still good advice. Quality appliances presented on a gifting occasion can cause the ambient temperature to lower uncomfortably. The same is not generally true in the reverse. For my birthday this week, Wonderful Wife declared our two aging smokers were too ugly to live and that I needed the behemoth pictured here. She was right. The new pellet smoker makes even my old Bradley seem like medieval times. 10 hours in the sous vide bath and 3 hours of smoke rendered these ribs beyond good. The smoker-only tri-tip was also a gift to discerning carnivores. A definite keeper. The wife, that is.

Where There Is Smoke...

531933691_2019-12WhereThereIsSmoke.thumb.jpg.3d43a2ee1cf80f880ac861c0e30bf4d7.jpg

Dave

5 hours ago, pierces said:

Never give your wife a gift with a cord. Even with "unless asked for" as a reasonable caveat, it is still good advice. Quality appliances presented on a gifting occasion can cause the ambient temperature to lower uncomfortably. The same is not generally true in the reverse. For my birthday this week, Wonderful Wife declared our two aging smokers were too ugly to live and that I needed the behemoth pictured here. She was right. The new pellet smoker makes even my old Bradley seem like medieval times. 10 hours in the sous vide bath and 3 hours of smoke rendered these ribs beyond good. The smoker-only tri-tip was also a gift to discerning carnivores. A definite keeper. The wife, that is.

Where There Is Smoke...

531933691_2019-12WhereThereIsSmoke.thumb.jpg.3d43a2ee1cf80f880ac861c0e30bf4d7.jpg

Dave

Your "foodie" pictures always sets uncontrolled mouth-watering and makes a mess on my keyboard ...

I don't  think the condo association will allow a smoker in my apartment!

2 minutes ago, tommui987 said:

Your "foodie" pictures always sets uncontrolled mouth-watering and makes a mess on my keyboard ...

I don't  think the condo association will allow a smoker in my apartment!

There are advantages to a single family dwelling!

And, sorry about the keyboard. 😉

Dave

11 hours ago, pierces said:

Where There Is Smoke...

Dave

🥂🍸 🎂 Happy Birthday Dave! 🎁 🎈🎉

3 hours ago, foneguy said:

funny i realized after i typed so here is the 22 lol

That looks right ;).  Still, the sharpness of the first picture makes it the winner IMHO.

A friend of mine was in the Wing the F-35 you posted belongs to, though he was flying the F-16.

8 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

That looks right ;).  Still, the sharpness of the first picture makes it the winner IMHO.

A friend of mine was in the Wing the F-35 you posted belongs to, though he was flying the F-16.

here are  sharper views of the mighty F22. i just loved the afterburner shot as it flew away!

BBA2F32E-1455-48A1-B7C2-6BC51CA4DB7E.jpeg

C3F645C1-1734-4A86-B9BC-F62E86F834AF.jpeg

4CED4516-111F-41CF-8878-B5EFC62EA32F.jpeg

• Like 1

Rather than almost all birds, this past weekend's wildlife shoot had a few other animals mixed in:

Raccoon:

original.jpg

Alligator hiding in the forest:

original.jpg

Slider turtle with baby turtle, underwater:

original.jpg

Florida softshell turtle trying to dig a hole to lay eggs:

original.jpg

Beautiful American bittern hunting through the reeds:

original.jpg

Black-necked stilts are back:

original.jpg