Cabin Service only once a day? Carnival Sunshine

karen3637

My wife and one of her girlfriends just got off an 8 nt southern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Sunshine.  When they got back they said that they were asked to choose a time of day that they would like cabin service as there would only be one per day.  We've been cruising many years (20-30 cruises on various lines) and have always had a cleanup of the cabin and turndown service while we were out for dinner.  Always thought this was an added touch to cruising but now ask if others are seeing this when they cruise and is this becoming a trend or was this just something unique to the Carnival Sunshine?

Not unique.  It is fleet wide. People have been reporting being given this choice for quite a while now but we had not encountered it as a definite once a day option until we were on the Fascination three weeks ago and the implication by the steward's question clearly suggests you are supposed to choose either morning or evening.  However, people do report that if you ask for twice a day service the stewards will accommodate you.   I have discovered I am fine with once a day service in the evening, since I like to sleep in sometimes.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BoDidly said:

Yes sadly the curse is coming true. OP stated the Steward said cleaning will be done only one time a day. Pick your time. 

I don't believe that this is Carnival doing this, but some lazy room stewards trying to get out of doing more work.  In 26 carnival cruises, I have only one time been told this (about when the rumors first started), and I simply stated that I wanted both, and the room steward complyed reluctantly.  Just ask for both and you will get both. 

Keep in mind, the room stewards are overworked and are the most underpaid employee of the ship, so I also tip accordingly.  I always leave the auto tips in place and still tip room steward team and extra $60 per week extra.  I have never been disappointed in the service I receive.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HawkIVette said:

I don't believe that this is Carnival doing this, but some lazy room stewards trying to get out of doing more work.  In 26 carnival cruises, I have only one time been told this (about when the rumors first started), and I simply stated that I wanted both, and the room steward complyed reluctantly.  Just ask for both and you will get both. 

Keep in mind, the room stewards are overworked and are the most underpaid employee of the ship, so I also tip accordingly.  I always leave the auto tips in place and still tip room steward team and extra $60 per week extra.  I have never been disappointed in the service I receive.

You can't tell me nothing as I agree with what your saying. But the one time a day thingy is here. What Carnival started the Stewards will finish. Then it becomes mandatory.

1 hour ago, BoDidly said:

Sorry , must be the Old Spice. Either that or the Jack n Coke from last night. 😀

Would not be the 1st time for either....oh wait you meant you...not me

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Haha 1

We were on the Valor 2/28 of this year.  The room steward gave us a form to fill out asking what type of services we wanted.  We went for once a day. The steward was in the hall every evening for hours so a lot of other cabins got 2x a day service.

For at least the last year, if not longer, we have been asked if we wanted morning, evening, or both by our cabin steward.  We always ask for morning only and extra towels, which has never been a problem. I have gotten to know a few stewards fairly well over the years and I know they are being worked harder than ever. If I can help them out a little I am more than happy to do so. 

• Like 1

Just got off of Freedom yesterday in Galveston.  You do NOT have to choose one or the other time.  Most Room Stewards would probably prefer to only service your cabin once per day if it was THEIR choice.

We were given a Carnival form on embarkation day from our Room Steward and asked to check off the following:

Cabin serviced:

___ Morning

___Evening

___Both

___ Extra hangers

___ Extra towels

____  Bathrobes

We had plenty of hangers with us and didn't need the bathrobes.  I wish we would have asked for extra towels though.  We certainly marked BOTH for having our room serviced twice a day.  We keep our room pretty tidy, but we don't like looking at wet towels all day long in our bathroom.  If they offered a laundry place for us to drop off wet towels and pick up new ones, I wouldn't mind only once a day.

• Like 1

I used to clean hotel rooms.  Twice a day is not that difficult. 

They have it down to a science really, and are in and out in no time.  I gather towels & toss them in the shower, gather dishes & trash & straighten up a bit to make things easier.  I make sure the floor is picked up. 

I'll always chose 2 times per day, with ice 2 times per day.  On the last cruise, the steward came by twice a day without even asking us to make a choice.    It's not easy work, but it's not that hard either.

• Like 1

Once a day is plenty for us. We keep a tidy room. We "make" the bed before we leave for the day.  We shower before dinner.  When we get back from the evening's activities,  there are clean towels, a "mader" bed and our towel animal.  We don't need anything else.  I really don't understand the hub bub.  This has less than no effect on our cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Once a day is plenty for us. We keep a tidy room. We "make" the bed before we leave for the day.  We shower before dinner.  When we get back from the evening's activities,  there are clean towels, a "mader" bed and our towel animal.  We don't need anything else.  I really don't understand the hub bub.  This has less than no effect on our cruise.

This is us as well, we just asked for the once a day service in the evening and it works fine for us. We don't spend much time in the cabin, so we don't need ice, we pick up after ourselves and are pretty low maintenance. If there's been anything we needed, the steward has been more than happy to provide it when asked.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 10brooks said:

I was also on this cruise.....we also only received once a day service.   After being on many other cruises including 4 months ago on the Breeze,  we have always had 2x a day service.  

Were you asked on the other cruises?

The 4 day Long Beach-Catalina Island-Ensenada-Long Beach on the Inspiration last week.   We picked the morning and were given quite a large window that our cabin could be done, 9 AM-1PM.  We used the snooze sign placed on the door handle to avoid the inconvenience of a 4 hour period but immediately removed it when we left the cabin.

I know that it is a different ship but am thinking that all the Carnival ships are doing this.   Good to hear from others.

Edited by shipsealand
added info