(help) NOISE IN AFT CABIN (VOS) #7392?

TEAGAN

:eek: :rolleyes: PLEASE HELP US. We are considering booking Aft. Junior Suite #7392 on Voyager for our first cruise ever. We are taking our 12 yr old child with special needs - who has sensitive hearing. The cabin size and location look great, but we have read a couple of posts re: noise & vibrations from an engine or thruster. Also some posts mention the "crew deck" below on deck 6. Does that mean that the crew use this deck themselves (to hang out) or is it a functional deck re: the ship?? We are really confused. VOS is almost sold out for our category in April & we're not sure whether to look at another ship. We want it to be a good choice - especially since due to our son's health we don't travel much. This is a big deal for us. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS !

Stay where you are. We sailed the Voyager deck 8.

Your balcony is a lot bigger then the ones offered on the side for the same amount of money. On the aft you will have two lounge chairs/2 regular chairs and a table. (On a side one you will have 2 chairs only)

Noise?? i never heard nothing. Vibrations might be felt but its minimal- maybe a kind of rocking sensation. Wipe down chairs before you sit though. Its not a problem but just in case.

the crew deck below is not for hanging out.. We only seen people out there cleaning. You will not be able to look down from your balcony and see water.. youwill see that deck.

The views are amazing.

It is a farther walk to the elevators/stairs. (will this cause a problem for your child?)

Teagan,

Just a question, have you thought about the ships Horn and the multiple intercom announcements?

Horn is an issue going into and out of port and during the drills of various sorts, an it can be VERY LOUD and startling.

Thanks.He's kind of used to the announcements (from being in hospital). We usually try to cover the speaker somehow. Once he got used to the horn, I think he'd be OK too. I just read a post from someone who had been in that deck 7 aft cabin - who complained about noise from a

'motor' below. Other than that - it looks like a great cabin with a great balcony.

The speaker can be adjusted in the cabin. There is a button on the right hand side on the vanity-- under the mirror. You can turn it off. turn it up to a volumn thats comfortable.. (it may be on the oppisite side in your cabin.

As far as the horn the only times it is sounded is when it leaves a port..and we never heard it in the cabin.

This is a marvelous location. It is not noisy and the previous poster is correct, you can adjust or turn off the cabin speaker. If anything the traffic in front of your cabin door is minimal and i find the entire area rather calming and most of the time very quiet. No noise what so ever from the engines.

Thanks for the encouragement. We have held the 7392 aft cabin. I checked 'Debbie's aft balcony' pictures and there aren't any of that cabin - but other similar baclonies seem nice. Since we may have to spend stretches of time in our cabin due to our son's health, it will be nice to have "another room" out on the balcony. I wish we could be a bit higher re: views but I think it's a pretty good cabin. We just want to know a bit more about weather at the end of April/May on the Eastern Caribbean route. I think it's just before "official hurricaine season" & will likely be hot. We wanted to avoid Easter weekend so it's a bit later than we wanted. Oh well - it will be nicer than the weather at home that's for sure. Thanks for your info. Now we have so many other questions - so I will continue to read this board to learn more. I am addicted to doing research for trips. Can you tell we don't get away from home much???

Thanks again:)

Since your child has some pretty serious health concerns, I would like to point out a lesser known fact about the Aft balcony cabins, we were in 8394 on the EOS (sister ship right above your cabin). The larger decks are much nicer and the engine (prop) noise is only slightly louder than the mid and forward cabins. On the negative side, the ships stacks constanly cover the back patios with soot anytime we were going to sit on the deck we found it nescessary to remove the chair pads and wipe down the chairs and table. I'm not complaining we knew it was the price of having a larger patio deck, nicer view and a panoramic view of whatever port we leaving. I hope this does not pose a concern for your 12YO.

Thanks for the info. Really mixed reviews of the aft. Many are saying that on deck 7 on the Voyager the vibration/engine noise is an issue. Also a couple of posts say that you get thrown around a bit on the aft. We don't get car sick - but it's our first cruise & we aren't sure how we'll do. All other Jr suites are now sold out. We are really worried and may decide to cancel. Such a drag - as we were really getting into the idea of a cruise.

ANY LAST MINUTE ADVICE BEFORE WE CANCEL ???:confused:

Ok, well, I think you need to remember that thousands cruise weekly and the opionion on this board is only a tiny teeny tiny sampling from people that have cruised.

No one can guarantee you anything.

You will get mixed reviews. What one person thinks is noise and vibration another will not. The seas vary week to week, day to day, etc. Your experience may or may not resemble any of the above or it might be identical.

These cabins continue to be coveted cabins on any ship, repeatedly. If the experience was that unpleasant straight across the board, no one would suggest them and they would be one of the last to be booked instead of the first!!

It is the only place I cruise and I wouldn't have it any other way. If I can help further or you want to discuss in length drop me an email tinsel57@hotmail.com I've got some pics I can email you as well.. as soonas I can find them!!

Thanks for the advice (especially Tinsel):) . We are booked for #7392 aft on Voyager. RCCL was great with accommodating our son's special needs. Now we have to wait. Oh well, lots of time to learn about cruising by reading these boards. Thanks again !

I agree with Tinsel-- the aft is not for everyone..but it is a well sought after space. If it was all so bad it would be cheaper and there wouldnt be wait lists for them. Like TInsel--its the only place I have sailed.

Please also remember if you take 10 people that cruised in the aft and 9 of them loved it and one hated it-- who do you think we will hear from?

Thanks for the advice (especially Tinsel):) . We are booked for #7392 aft on Voyager. RCCL was great with accommodating our son's special needs. Now we have to wait. Oh well, lots of time to learn about cruising by reading these boards. Thanks again !

Congratulations, the view is gorgeous, but be warned.. Cruising is VERY addictive! and my last two cents worth before i leave this thread, take a sturdy rubber bungee cord to hold your patio door open at night, the amount of soothing white noise is phenominal, it will absolutely eliminate any noise concerns you might have.

• 2 years later...

Archived