Latest Internet Policy

bspill

It's been almost a year since our last SS voyage.  Will be on board again in a couple of weeks and was wondering if there is any change to the internet policy.  Last time,  each traveler had one hour per day of usage or you could opt for a "premium". service at an addional charge.  Has that policy changed considering so many lines are now offering unlimited service? 

2 hours ago, dougburns said:

I'm a bit confused. If you don't have a device and only use the internet cafe how much free time do you have there and what charges apply after the free time?

Basic internet is free and unlimited, even to the pax not in fancy suites. The only limit to your use of the ship's computers would be if other pax wanted to use them. Never seen a queue, most pax use their own devices.

If you have your own devices, only one device per person/account can be signed on at once but the hand off between devices is very smooth.

Basic is free and unlimited, 'premium' is somewhere between about $20 per day whole voyage or about $30 for a 24 hour package.

3 hours ago, dougburns said:

I'm a bit confused. If you don't have a device and only use the internet cafe how much free time do you have there and what charges apply after the free time?

Hi Doug, they have done away with the Internet Cafe on the newer ships, not so sure about the Shadow and Whisper though.

18 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

We just got off the Shadow a few weeks ago and we could have one device connected as long as we wanted for free.  Premium service is still an up charge.

Appreciate these various posts, comments and follow-ups. "Free" is kind of better, but based on the recents experiences/frustrations by Spins/Candy and others on the Silver Spirt, the questions now focus more as to the "QUALITY" with the Internet on Silversea ships.   Am realistic and do not expect such connections on a ship via satellite to be that fast or perfect. BUT . . . .  

In July, for our first time, we will be doing Western Canada and then sailing up to Alaska on the Silver Muse, setting Denali, etc.  For Spins/Candy, she was in a "Mission Impossible" situation of not being able to post pictures to Cruise Critic, nor even to e-mail any visuals to me so that I could post them on these boards.  Does Silversea block access to some sites such a photo hosting locations?  Or, is it about the size of photos being uploaded?  While sailing recently, have others had problems and challenges?  Personally, I never try while sailing to upload large pictures and/or significant files of visuals.  From my large 24mp RAW photo files on a MacBook Pro laptop, I always downsize to more of a better-managed size around 300kb before seeking to post from the ship to the Cruise Critic boards, etc.  Other experiences from recent SS sailings?  Anyone having had discussions with on-ship technical/IT experts as to how to avoid and/or work around such situations?  Are such problems based on the time of day and how many others on the ship are seeking to use such Internet access? 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France on the Silver Spirit along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 27,690 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

2 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Hi Doug, they have done away with the Internet Cafe on the newer ships, not so sure about the Shadow and Whisper though.

The space still exists on the Shadow, but I never stepped foot in the room, so have no idea how many computers they still offer for guest use.  As JollyJones said, there was never a queue.  Personally, I never saw anyone come or go into the room.

I think I read on this site that with Shadow dry dock later this year the library and computer room would be converted into an Arts Cafe.

This makes huge sense to me with spread of e readers and smartphones/tablets.

Spirit and Muse have no computer room, as I recall, though there is one computer for public use near Reception.  It doesn't appear to get much use.

1 hour ago, Observer said:

I think I read on this site that with Shadow dry dock later this year the library and computer room would be converted into an Arts Cafe.

Yes, true.  From what I understand, the library will move to the Observation Lounge.

1 hour ago, Observer said:

This makes huge sense to me with spread of e readers and smartphones/tablets.

Spirit and Muse have no computer room, as I recall, though there is one computer for public use near Reception.  It doesn't appear to get much use.

That would make a lot of sense, for the cost of a few ipads that they can lend out it to people it would be a much better use of space.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 10:41 AM, TLCOhio said:

Does Silversea block access to some sites such a photo hosting locations?  Or, is it about the size of photos being uploaded?

No, and probably.  I use Smugbug to host my photos and I upload full-size (24 megapixel) photos to smugbug and then smugbug will downsize and add bbcode to the links for me to post them here.  However, on my last grand Asian trip it took me hours to upload each days photos.  Probably several minutes for each photo.  In the beginning it could easily convince me that nothing was happening.  This was on a Premium wifi account.  (60 days x $20/day)

My next voyage a few months later, I took a Skyroam with me ($99/mo) and simply waited to pull into port each morning and then uploaded all the photos in a matter of minutes.  Generally while I was eating breakfast.  This summer, on a two-month Mediterranean voyage I'll use the same plan: two months of Skyroam (at $99/mo) and two months of T-Mobile (at $60/mo).

Terry, consider moving your ads into your signature.  Do you know how to do that?