Level 3 advisory

drneal

I will be going on the Greek isles cruise in August.

I am very much looking forward to this.

However, the second port is Kusadasi in Turkey which currently is under a level 3 travel advisory (which means reconsider travel ).

Windstar hosts a special event/dinner at this port.

At what point would the cruise line cancel a port?

Sadly this was a popular port but recently it appears that most of the larger ships are no longer going.

Has anyone been recently?

Is this "level 3" from the US DOS? Don't pay any attention, they tend to babysit us too much. Just take normal travel cautions and you'll be fine. If you listed to them, there's a terrorist hiding behind every bush in 2/3 of the world.

9 hours ago, milepig said:

Is this "level 3" from the US DOS? Don't pay any attention, they tend to babysit us too much. Just take normal travel cautions and you'll be fine. If you listed to them, there's a terrorist hiding behind every bush in 2/3 of the world.

Completely agree.  Been to several places that I was guaranteed certain death.  I, and the tens of thousands of other Americans there had no problems and a great time.

The terrorist attack in New Zealand and that sick person who wants to start a race war hasn't helped things. The President of Turkey is using this massacre as a political tool to incite his followers by showing the horrible video of the attack.  I guess time will tell if things will escalate. I am sure Windstar is following the situation closely and will make the right decision based on circumstances at the time of the sailing.

Turkey is very interesting. Been there twice. First time was a 2 week land tour with a 4 night gullet cruise. Loved it. Next time was a stop in Kusadasi on a cruise. Not so good. Demonstrations, unrest, and quite uncomfortable. Would not go there now. Too many dangerous places. 

We are also going this July/August on the Surf.  I am usually not concerned about our safety other than taking the usual precautions but the international political climate is very weird right now.  So, rather than a private guide in this port, we will go on a Windstar tour.  I not sure about "safety in numbers" as groups can certainly be targeted. On the other hand, I'm not ready to cower and hide behind my couch at home! I live in a tourist area of Florida and every once in a while a tourist is killed or injured by some moron and I always hope that people don't stop visiting our state.

• Like 1

I think think the dinner in Ephesus library is a great experience. It is a ship excursion for all passengers.

Has anyone been to Kusadasi recently?

My understanding is the city’s main economy is tourism from cruise ships.

The day we are there the only ships are the Windstar with148 passengers and a Crystal ship with 100 passengers.

The overall consensus on this post is Turkey is great, no problems.

Is this a port you would want to bring your kids/grandkids to?

How is it to be one of a few tourists walking past a rug store in a once popular port ?

Windstar has cancelled this port a few years ago.  Does anyone know why ?

Any chance they will have the water/sports deck open in a port?