Liberty?

suni

We have been on many cruises. The timing and itinerary work for extended family to go on the Liberty of the Seas. I am nervous as there are many mixed reviews. Any thoughts in this ship for a group that are experienced cruisers?

Our first cruise was on the Freedom and that class is my favorite.  I don't put much stock in reviews because they are so mixed.  One person says the service is great, the next says the service is terrible!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, spookwife said:

expect a lot of locals and their..lifestyle choices.   jeans, cowboy boots,  hats, etc.   she's an awesome ship and the crew is excellent.  

Completely not true...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, suni said:

We have been on many cruises. The timing and itinerary work for extended family to go on the Liberty of the Seas. I am nervous as there are many mixed reviews. Any thoughts in this ship for a group that are experienced cruisers?

Excellent ship, nothing to be concerned about.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spookwife said:

expect a lot of locals and their..lifestyle choices.   jeans, cowboy boots,  hats, etc.   she's an awesome ship and the crew is excellent.  

2 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Completely not true...

Partly true. The ship and crew are excellent and there are definitely a lot of Texans but not all Texans wear cowboy boots and hats. I don’t recall seeing many at all. I also wouldn’t call wearing of jeans a Texas thing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, suni said:

This is my favorite class of ship and Liberty OTS was my very favorite (4x) until we just sailed the newly AMPed Indy (same class).  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Partly true. The ship and crew are excellent and there are definitely a lot of Texans but not all Texans wear cowboy boots and hats. I don’t recall seeing many at all. I also wouldn’t call wearing of jeans a Texas thing. 

Very true - I skip the hats and boots - they take up too much space in my suitcases 😉 

Texan living on the east coast 🙂

56 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

Every LIB. Cruise  we took was vastly Tx residents ( including us). And a LOT of bolos on formal night with dark jeans and dressy plaid shirts.  

8 hours ago, suni said:

We just returned from a trip on Liberty.  We enjoyed our trip.  We went on excursions to Stingray City in Grand Cayman and The Jewel which is an all inclusive golf, beach, and water park in Jamaica.  The Jewel is pricey but we had an awesome time.  Overall the food is about a 7 out of 10.  Stick to the MDR as opposed to Wndjammer which is just too busy for me. 

Does Liberty have any venues that play country music? On the others we have been on I have found 1ship and 1 bar had country music and I really enjoyed that. Since the demographics are maybe somewhat different.....? Personally, I would enjoy that but it's not for everyone. 

9 minutes ago, fischymom said:

Does Liberty have any venues that play country music? On the others we have been on I have found 1ship and 1 bar had country music and I really enjoyed that. Since the demographics are maybe somewhat different.....? Personally, I would enjoy that but it's not for everyone. 

I would LOVE that but rarely have found it on any cruise except for the occasional country song played on the pool deck.  I know one cruise there was a country night in the viking crown but that seemed to work out about as well as that sounds it would typing it out 🙂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fischymom said:

I’ve been on Liberty three times and don’t recall seeing any venues with country music but I wasn’t looking for it either. 

We returned from Liberty yesterday. It was an awesome trip. The staff is amazing. We enjoyed every minute even though it was Spring Break and tons of small children. Are there a lot of Texans? Yes. We can drive to the port. Were there lots of other states and nations represented? Yes. We already booked our next Liberty cruise and have 16 family members joining us.

1 hour ago, fischymom said:

On our November 2018 cruise there was a country band (Wendy Thornton Band) in the Star Lounge every night.

There are in fact a lot of Texans onboard every sailing of the Liberty OTS, but this does not mean that you will see lots of boots and hats, etc. Most of them will be wearing flip flops and baseball caps during the day and normal shoes for dinner at night. 

What it does mean, is that you will see a higher percentage of friendly people than usual. Obviously, Texas has it's allotment of jerks too, but you will see a higher concentration of actively friendly outgoing people. I've lived other places and I think that the number of truly good and kind people is about the same wherever you go, but some cultures are not as actively friendly to strangers as Texans tend to be. 

Edited by theotherchad
  • Like 4