Hip surgery and insurance

jimbri

Hello everyone.  Well. I have gone and broken my hip.  Had the surgery on Tues night and am home now.  I told Dr that I have a cruise on June 24 and he said I should be fine to go.  Here's my convoluted question.  I took out trip insurance.  I put down $500 deposit and have to pay the balance by April something.  Do I have to inform the insurance company about my hip surgery before I pay final payment?  Is it like a pre-existing condition now.  Or do I just go ahead,  finish up payment to Carnival and have a great cruise. Thanks.

The only correct answer to this question is "read your policy".

Generally speaking you only need to notify them if you're making a claim, then they will ask for documentation about when things happened.

Hope you get to feeling better!

Edited by chui101
  • Like 2

If you had the insurance before the break, it is not pre existing. I would only possibly notify insurance if there were a good chance you would need to cancel for this occurrence and they could say you waited too long to notify them. Doesn’t sound like the case for you.

Do your therapy and enjoy the trip.

• Like 3

After three months of careful recovery and no snow-skiing

you should make your cruise, even if it's still a little sore now and then.

You may not be quite as agile and ambulatory as you were previously

but you'll be on your cruise and enjoying yourself!

Take it easy - you've just had a BIG One!

4 hours ago, jimbri said:

Hello everyone.  Well. I have gone and broken my hip.  Had the surgery on Tues night and am home now.  I told Dr that I have a cruise on June 24 and he said I should be fine to go.  Here's my convoluted question.  I took out trip insurance.  I put down $500 deposit and have to pay the balance by April something.  Do I have to inform the insurance company about my hip surgery before I pay final payment?  Is it like a pre-existing condition now.  Or do I just go ahead,  finish up payment to Carnival and have a great cruise. Thanks.

As mentioned, what does your policy say?

Are you in the USA?

If so, can you let us know what type of policy your have (which insurer, for starters)?

There can be some variability by state, but mostly there are similarities.

If you had that waiver such that there was NO exclusion of pre-existing condtions, then you should be good to go.

OTOH, it's also a good idea to ask the insurer or your broker.

After all, you don't benefit from "hiding" anything.  If you never have a claim, no problem.  And if you DO have a claim, that would be a bit late to find out things you should have known before proceeding now.

Good luck with a comfortable recovery!

GC