FLL logistics and connection timing

hapster85

Looking at a flight on Southwest that connects through FLL. Both would be a first for us. Just wondering if a 1:05 layover is enough time to grab a sandwich in the terminal. If the info I found is accurate, it looks like Southwest only goes to Terminal 1?

1 hour ago, hapster85 said:

Looking at a flight on Southwest that connects through FLL. Both would be a first for us. Just wondering if a 1:05 layover is enough time to grab a sandwich in the terminal. If the info I found is accurate, it looks like Southwest only goes to Terminal 1?

Easy to do this....but don't waste to much time...go to your gate first and check when boarding will start. My concern is always finding something "good" to eat at FLL...Sorry not a favorite....but you'll do fine.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, hapster85 said:
39 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:
Is your flight Domestic to Domestic, Domestic to International, or International to Domestic? Advice will depend on that.

Hadn't realized Southwest had any international routes, but yeah, all domestic.

I just assumed you would be domestic....but yes they started doing the Caribbean in 2014 and recently South America I believe, and are looking to expand even further now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hapster85 said:

Correct, all Southwest flights at FLL are in and out of T1. 

12 hours ago, Ashland said:

Easy to do this....but don't waste to much time...go to your gate first and check when boarding will start. My concern is always finding something "good" to eat at FLL...Sorry not a favorite....but you'll do fine.

The issue with FLL is that there are 4 terminals and at present they are not connected airside.  If you're flying Delta for instance, you're limited to T2 which has limited and awful food options; hopefully will improve after the pending T2 renovation.  T1 has recently undergone an expansion and renovation and options there are improved, and better than at T1.  Haven't been through T3/T4 in a while so can't comment there.

With just 65 minutes, I wouldn't count on any time at all.  By the time you get parked at the gate, it's going to take a good 10 minutes or more to debark the plane you're on.  They will begin boarding your onward flight 40 minutes or so before departure and may shut the doors with 10 minutes to go.  Depending on how busy the airport is, you may find yourself with barely enough time for a bathroom stop, never mind waiting in line for food.

14 hours ago, Ashland said:

I just assumed you would be domestic....but yes they started doing the Caribbean in 2014 and recently South America I believe, and are looking to expand even further now.

I don't believe Southwest flies anywhere in South America nor have I heard plans to do so. Central America, but not South America.

In addition to the US, the countries/international territories they serve are: Aruba, Bahamas, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, D.R., Jamaica, Mexico, and Turks & Caicos. Many of those are served from FLL.

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

The issue with FLL is that there are 4 terminals and at present they are not connected airside.  If you're flying Delta for instance, you're limited to T2 which has limited and awful food options; hopefully will improve after the pending T2 renovation.  T1 has recently undergone an expansion and renovation and options there are improved, and better than at T1.  Haven't been through T3/T4 in a while so can't comment there.

T3-T4 are connected so that helps with more options. T4 and the new G gates are nice. Modern and airy with decent food options. Still not great, but when you can go between E, F and G there are a decent amount of choices. They are working on connecting T3 to T2 to T1 post security in the next few years so all terminals will be connected. 

To the OP. 65mins is plenty to make your connection as T1 is not very large you won't need to walk any long distances or anything like that as FLL while a very busy airport is not a large connection hub. T1 has some options, not the best but they are there. But it all depends on how on-time your flight is and how quickly you can get off the airplane. 

You should have enough time to grab something quick. But quick, I would not wait in any long lines given Southwest boarding you want to make sure you are at the gate on time of course. 

Edited by Flymia

6 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

I don't believe Southwest flies anywhere in South America nor have I heard plans to do so. Central America, but not South America.

In addition to the US, the countries/international territories they serve are: Aruba, Bahamas, Belize, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, D.R., Jamaica, Mexico, and Turks & Caicos. Many of those are served from FLL.

I guess my key word was "believe"...you're right but they are looking forward to this eventually.

With just 65 minutes, I wouldn't count on any time at all.  By the time you get parked at the gate, it's going to take a good 10 minutes or more to debark the plane you're on.  They will begin boarding your onward flight 40 minutes or so before departure and may shut the doors with 10 minutes to go.  Depending on how busy the airport is, you may find yourself with barely enough time for a bathroom stop, never mind waiting in line for food.

I figured at most it would be grabbing a premade sandwich at Urban Market and eating it on the plane. Wouldn't be the first time we've had to do something like that. If there's a big line, we'll just have to skip it, and survive on snacks until we arrive at our final stop.

The alternative would be to book a flight that connects through MCO with a 1:50 layover, which looked good at first. But if I'm reading it right (see photos), the folks in MCO will be boarding a plane that already has the folks who boarded in FLL on board. Besides costing more, without assigned seats, I'd rather not go that route.

Anyway, thanks for the input.051617d7f4c7eb9af4f5d4be7cf18f48.jpgab142700a4c6c745b90ab4c0d13abf3f.jpg

20 minutes ago, hapster85 said:

I figured at most it would be grabbing a premade sandwich at Urban Market and eating it on the plane. Wouldn't be the first time we've had to do something like that. If there's a big line, we'll just have to skip it, and survive on snacks until we arrive at our final stop.

The alternative would be to book a flight that connects through MCO with a 1:50 layover, which looked good at first. But if I'm reading it right (see photos), the folks in MCO will be boarding a plane that already has the folks who boarded in FLL on board. Besides costing more, without assigned seats, I'd rather not go that route.

Anyway, thanks for the input.051617d7f4c7eb9af4f5d4be7cf18f48.jpgab142700a4c6c745b90ab4c0d13abf3f.jpg

Yeah the FLL-CVG flight just stops in MCO, you'd be arriving in to CVG on the same plane anyways.

I live in a place that has a lot of through-travelers (Kansas City), so I am used to getting on a plane that already has people. It's usually not a big deal, but every flight is different. It could be only five through-checked passengers, or it could be 70...I have seen both. BUT, if it matters for any reason, you do get a later departure out of SJU whilst still arriving home at the same time, and with a longer layover. Pros and cons to both.

Edited by Zach1213

Yeah the FLL-CVG flight just stops in MCO, you'd be arriving in to CVG on the same plane anyways.

I live in a place that has a lot of through-travelers (Kansas City), so I am used to getting on a plane that already has people. It's usually not a big deal, but every flight is different. It could be only five through-checked passengers, or it could be 70...I have seen both. BUT, if it matters for any reason, you do get a later departure out of SJU whilst still arriving home at the same time, and with a longer layover. Pros and cons to both.
I've only encountered that scenario one other time, many years ago and I forget the airline, but it was assigned seating, so not a big deal. If I were a seasoned Southwest flyer, I probably wouldn't be overthinking every detail of this trip. Bad habit, I know. Lol

I agree...keep your connection through FLL...I dislike boarding those through-flights. I still think your chances of grabbing something on the go will work out....Best of luck.

BTW...What area of Kentucky are you in ?.....Ashland is my home town.

Edited by Ashland

I agree...keep your connection through FLL...I dislike boarding those through-flights. I still think your chances of grabbing something on the go will work out....Best of luck.

BTW...What area of Kentucky are you in ?.....Ashland is my home town.
We live just south of Louisville but flying out of Covington (yet again). Fares were equivalent, but the only option back into SDF was a 12:50 am arrival. Or more like 1:50 am getting home, if we're lucky. Not exactly conducive to returning to work Monday morning.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Flymia said:

T3-T4 are connected so that helps with more options. T4 and the new G gates are nice. Modern and airy with decent food options. Still not great, but when you can go between E, F and G there are a decent amount of choices. They are working on connecting T3 to T2 to T1 post security in the next few years so all terminals will be connected. 

Thanks, as I said, I haven't been through T3 or T4 in a while so wasn't aware they are connected.  Of course, that doesn't help the OP who is flying WN from T1.  I know they'll be connecting all of them eventually but that's a ways off since they haven't even started the T2 reno yet.

• 2 weeks later...