staff picked up towels on Liberty 😎

Β 

Had extended family on LIBERTY last week. Β 

Β 

On the last sea day at the pool, we noticedΒ staff proactively pickΒ up unused towels from a whole line of loungers in front of us. Β 

Β 

May have been an isolated case, but nice to see (well, not so much for the chair hogs who now had lost towel charges).Β 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hope Navigator will start doing this.Β  After upgrades it looks like chairs near the pool are few and far between.Β  Jason will be wanting to spend much of his time in pool and I will want to be watching him.

Β 

$25 for a towel charge would make me sit up and maybe do something different than just dropping a towel on a chair and leaving.Β  Maybe it would happen more often is the pool staff did get a little tip every time they picked up towels.

A few weeks ago on Oasis weΒ overheardΒ a guyΒ complaining (very loudly) about being charged $225Β for towels.Β Β I am assuming the staff removed his towels as he no longer had them, didn't know there was a charge and was going to Guest Services toΒ fight the charge.Β  If I had 9 towels in my possession I would be sure to make sure to keep track of where they were at and not just leave them on a chair...Β  But that's just how I roll. :)

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kag19 said:

A few weeks ago on Oasis weΒ overheardΒ a guyΒ complaining (very loudly) about being charged $225Β for towels.Β Β I am assuming the staff removed his towels as he no longer had them, didn't know there was a charge and was going to Guest Services toΒ fight the charge.Β  If I had 9 towels in my possession I would be sure to make sure to keep track of where they were at and not just leave them on a chair...Β  But that's just how I roll. :)

Β 

....Β  Awwww..Β  I guess he and his gang should have read the rules about being a "Chair Hog"..Β  No pity or sympathy for himΒ and his.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ScottVV said:

Β 

....Β  Awwww..Β  I guess he and his gang should have read the rules about being a "Chair Hog"..Β  No pity or sympathy for himΒ and his.

Β 

None at all! :)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kag19 said:

A few weeks ago on Oasis weΒ overheardΒ a guyΒ complaining (very loudly) about being charged $225Β for towels.Β Β I am assuming the staff removed his towels as he no longer had them, didn't know there was a charge and was going to Guest Services toΒ fight the charge.Β  If I had 9 towels in my possession I would be sure to make sure to keep track of where they were at and not just leave them on a chair...Β  But that's just how I roll. πŸ™‚

Yikes, there are signs at towel check out and this also isn't new but who all reads them or can read them as they aren't in every language?Β  My only hesitation on fully supporting this charge is RCCL still has the towels, the passenger doesn't (assuming) - then I have some issues with them charging the per towel fee but I'm not sure how else they could do it either!

5 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Yikes, there are signs at towel check out and this also isn't new but who all reads them or can read them as they aren't in every language?Β  My only hesitation on fully supporting this charge is RCCL still has the towels, the passenger doesn't (assuming) - then I have some issues with them charging the per towel fee but I'm not sure how else they could do it either!

Β 

I hear what you are saying for sure.Β  RCI is getting money for towels they already purchased.Β  Maybe they use the fees to buy more? :) I really liked the towel process on Celebrity.Β  Just get towels as you need them and put them in the dirtyΒ towel bin when done, no sea pass involved and no charges.Β  And honestly, no one wants to steal those crappy towels.Β  At least not us. :) But a $225 towel charge wouldΒ make this guyΒ think twice about leaving them laying around and hogging up chairs in the future!

1 minute ago, kag19 said:

Β 

I hear what you are saying for sure.Β  RCI is getting money for towels they already purchased.Β  Maybe they use the fees to buy more? πŸ™‚ I really liked the towel process on Celebrity.Β  Just get towels as you need them and put them in the dirtyΒ towel bin when done, no sea pass involved and no charges.Β  And honestly, no one wants to steal those crappy towels.Β  At least not us. πŸ™‚ But a $225 towel charge wouldΒ make this guyΒ think twice about leaving them laying around and hogging up chairs in the future!

Agree, we often got 4 towels out ahead of time as son/GF were meeting up with us and one time DH returned 3 of the 4 but thought he had them all so when they asked he said 4 and we ended up with a spare- it felt like a hot potato I didn't know what to do with LOL!Β  But that's the part that gets me, if you really were bent on taking one home (and I have no idea why you would) you could without ever getting charged.Β  And I'm quite certain that $225 charge got reversed, even if he got a warning, and hopefully he'll think twice in the future but overall why not just let us grab some and return as needed.Β  I could see on port days they could have a check out process to ensure charges for any left on shore but overall I just can't see where that was a huge money loss for them but what do I know on towels?

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 8:31 AM, BSocial said:

Β 

Had extended family on LIBERTY last week. Β 

Β 

On the last sea day at the pool, we noticedΒ staff proactively pickΒ up unused towels from a whole line of loungers in front of us. Β 

Β 

May have been an isolated case, but nice to see (well, not so much for the chair hogs who now had lost towel charges).Β 

How long were the towels on the lounges before they were picked up?Β  When my husband and I go to the pool, we just put the towels (still folded) on the chair and then go in the pool.Β  What if staff sees them and grabs them thinking we are chair hogs?Β Β 

12 hours ago, OCVTSGIRL said:

How long were the towels on the lounges before they were picked up?Β  When my husband and I go to the pool, we just put the towels (still folded) on the chair and then go in the pool.Β  What if staff sees them and grabs them thinking we are chair hogs?Β Β 

Β 

They aren't going to just pick up your towels after a few minutes.. It's starting to sound like they have people walking around and checking after they see towels that have been on chairs after quite a while.Β  I believe all the signage states that after 30 mins, your itemsΒ  can/will be confiscated (or words to that effect) if found that chairs have been unoccupied for that duration... But I highly doubt they are taking stuff after 30 mins and 1 second...Β Β  Words of advice...?Β  Find your chair, go in the pool and return every 20 or so minutes to ensure you (or anyone else for that matter) are following posted rules and not staying in the water for hours whilst your chair becomesΒ a place to stash your items...

1 hour ago, ScottVV said:

Β 

They aren't going to just pick up your towels after a few minutes.. It's starting to sound like they have people walking around and checking after they see towels that have been on chairs after quite a while.Β  I believe all the signage states that after 30 mins, your itemsΒ  can/will be confiscated (or words to that effect) if found that chairs have been unoccupied for that duration... But I highly doubt they are taking stuff after 30 mins and 1 second...Β Β  Words of advice...?Β  Find your chair, go in the pool and return every 20 or so minutes to ensure you (or anyone else for that matter) are following posted rules and not staying in the water for hours whilst your chair becomesΒ a place to stash your items...

Exactly, what we always did on our last cruise on Indy was one of the group was always at the chairs if another of us went to the bar or the bathroom - both which could have lines on busy sea days!Β  Or if one of us ran to the Windjammer or another eatery to grab snacks.

Royal is making a fortune on the towel policy. Especially since the charges are placed on the bill at the last second.

Β 

You're getting ready to get off the ship and see towel charges on the bill.....how many just get off (so not to wait in line at CS) and say they will call Royal when they get home and never do? Or just never notice the charges as they don't check the bill line by line. Then there is a portion that say "It's just $25".

Β 

Everyone has witnessed how unattentive the employee can be when you return towels. Many mistakes our made and they are always in Royal's favor.Β 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, OCVTSGIRL said:

Β 

in this case on Liberty, my daughter had been in her lounger (directly behind the row) for over an hour before she noticed the staff pickingΒ Β up the folded towels on the row ahead. Β They could have been there much longer. Β And yes, just neatly folded towels - no personal items.

Edited by BSocial
clarification

28 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

Β 

Yes, almost every time.

That's why if you actually wanted to take one, it wouldn't be too hard but rarely am I looking to bring home additional items to pack - now if they suddenly have the most absorbent towels that are soft and dry quickly, heck I'll buy one πŸ™‚