Viking Danube 2020 River Cruise which Itinerary?

Cruiseoholic000

I am thinking of booking a Summer or Fall Viking cruise down the Danube in 2020.  We have already sailed down the Rhine with Viking and loved it.  It looks like there are a few options for the Danubue

-  the Danube Waltz

- the Romantic Danube

- Oberammergau & Romantic Danube

We are thinking July, August or September ( I know that water levels could be a issue).  We would want a non stop flight from New England and would use Viking air (had a great experience last time). We would like to stay a few days ahead with Viking and Budapest does look nice.

We like art, shopping, a little history. 

What would you all recommend? All the ships are similar but is there one that is better than others?  Any input would be appreciated. 

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

Our first cruise (of any type) was the Romantic Danube, from Budapest to Nuremberg in August of 2015. I would highly recommend it as it includes quite a few of the highlights along this part of the Danube. 

Maybe you could do a pre-cruise stay in Budapest, then I would recommend the post-cruise trip to Prague. We did this and it was a great trip, and a perfect way to end our cruise.

Regarding non-stop flights from New England. I kinda doubt that it would be possible as non-stop flights into Budapest/Prague, etc. aren't as easy to come by. I'd do some research first and then purchase Viking Air Plus to have a say in your flights. Since we usually have to connect (from St. Louis), we prefer doing this in Amsterdam as it is a much easier airport to deal with than say CDG (Paris) etc. 

Regarding time of year to travel - keep in mind that it might be hot. We experienced 100 degree days in both Germany and Prague...

Enjoy!

Jeff

We were on Romantic Danube last summer.  There are some small differences between Romantic Danube and Danube Waltz and which one is better for you depends on you.  For example, do you want to go to Nuremberg.  If so, Romantic Danube.

if i was to spend any time in that area it would be Vienna - and then meet the cruise.  There are few direct flights from Boston other than the usual gateways cities - Frankfurt, Amsterdam, London.  You will have to change planes

Vienna has food, art and history in a compact area.  Countryside visits to wineries are easy and fun

For art: Vienna, first and foremost. The museums are amazing, Klimt, the Vienna Secession building, even Hundertwasser has some appeal (although I am not really a fan). So many buildings with architectural history it makes your head spin. Café culture...

Budapest is great as well, see the greatest fast food place in Europe (in my opinion) architecturally in an old railway station.

But for art I would focus on Vienna and see which gives you the best timing of those itinerary choices.

For art and history (some of the unpleasant kind) get Nuremberg into your itinerary.

Oberammergau Passion Play is a unique experience only available every ten years, so you might do that instead.

For modern art Linz could be a focus - the big blue building at the riverside.

Forgot the shopping: Vienna, definitely. Budapest as well of course, but I found Vienna to be a bit more condensed in its shopping areas and found it easier to do. Must admit though that I loved the handmade leather products in Budapest. The market hall there is amazing for food, but other items are of international origin (some, not all).

Hope this helps.

notamermaid

P.S:: If you have not set your heart on Viking - explore other companies' offers.

Edited by notamermaid
added PS

We had a wonderful time on our Romantic Danube cruise with Viking and did the pre cruise to Prague and post to Budapest. Our only regret was not having enough time in Vienna but that gives us an excuse to visit that great city on another trip. One day was not enough in Vienna.

It looks like Oberammergau Passion Play is sold out on most sailings.  However, if you have the money for the top tier cabins you may be able to still book. 

We went on the Rhine in July 2018 and it was very nice weather.  Is there a better time to go on the Danube?  Thinking maybe the first week of September but is water level worse than.  However one person in our group bday is in early August. 

Edited by Cruiseoholic000

36 minutes ago, Cruiseoholic000 said:

It looks like Oberammergau Passion Play is sold out on most sailings.  However, if you have the money for the top tier cabins you may be able to still book. 

I'm not surprised. They announced the Oberammergau offerings way before the regular 2020 offerings because it is only once every 10 years.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:28 AM, Cruiseoholic000 said:

It looks like there are a few options for the Danubue

-  the Danube Waltz

- the Romantic Danube

We did the Viking Danube Waltz last summer and were very happy with our cruise and itinerary!  Look over the itineraries to see what most appeals to you.  As mentioned above, the Romantic Danube includes Nuremburg which the Danube Waltz doesn't.  However, the DW includes an all day excursion to Cesky Krumlov which we really enjoyed, and I don't know if this is an option on the RD.  Also, from our research, the stretch of river between Nuremburg and Passau may be more prone to low water problems.  On our trip, we were able to sail all the way through (Budapest to Passau) without experiencing water level problems.  However, folks on the Romantic Danube had to be bused between Passau and Nuremburg that same week because of low water levels.   

• Like 1