Boarding in Dubai

grayjay

We are interested in an Azamara cruise out of Dubai. (There are several in the winter season) I found out that flights either arrive in the evening or at night or in the early morning. I'm not to keen on booking a hotel room this time due to some personal time restrictions especially if it's only for a few hours at night, even if we usually fly into our departure city a day or two earlier. But it's just  not possible this time. I found out that some cruise lines offer to either check-in and board at night or in the early morning directly after the plane arrives, sometimes even with access to your cabin. To make it easier we even want to book flights and transfers through the cruise line, arriving in the early morning and leaving in the afternoon.

How does Azamara handle this? The "Quest" stays overnight in Dubai but of course there will be guests disembarking in the morning. But it might be a help if we could at least board the ship, have breakfast and a snooze somewhere after the night flight until we either could get into our cabin to unpack or to even get back into the city for a few hours . Ship will leave at 6 p.m. Any experiences in regard to Azamara?

Thank your for your answers.

No Azamara will not allow you to embark until disembarkation processes have been completed from the previous cruise - usually about 1130 am is the earliest.  I suppose you could go to the terminal and sit around but I would invest in a room for the night = some airport hotels might even do 8 hour rates for you

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, uktog said:

No Azamara will not allow you to embark until disembarkation processes have been completed from the previous cruise - usually about 1130 am is the earliest.  I suppose you could go to the terminal and sit around but I would invest in a room for the night = some airport hotels might even do 8 hour rates for you

Thank you. That is very disappointing, as for example both German cruise lines I know of as well as MSC do allow passengers to enter the ship, have a look around, have breakfast etc. and their passenger numbers are 4 or 5 times that compared to Azamara. If the ship is overnighting, you can even board in the night if your plane lands at 2 o'clock in the morning.

The reason for not wanting to book a hotel room are time restrictions for the cruise we're considering. Of course it's a good idea to come in  a day or two earlier, book a room and come rested onto the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

If you had a flight which arrived early morning you could get a day room in a hotel, maybe at the airport? Get a few hours sleep then board late afternoon? Just need to make sure you have a good alarm!! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you for all those who gave good advice. After a bit of twiddling my thumbs in deep thought we booked a flight arriving late in the evening before the cruise. To be on the safe side we booked flights with the cruiseline at quite good rates, a bit more than if we had booked independently, but quite ok.

I will now try and find a hotel nearby (hotel shuttle, Festival City ???) to get some sleep and have a leisurely breakfast before we board the "Quest".

It always helps to ask CC members for good advice! Thanks again!

1 hour ago, grayjay said:

I will now try and find a hotel nearby (hotel shuttle, Festival City ???) to get some sleep and have a leisurely breakfast before we board the "Quest".

Take a look at the Hyatt Regency Dubai in the Deira area.  About as close as you can get to the port.  Stayed there post-cruise a few years ago and will do so again pre-cruise in December.

18 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Take a look at the Hyatt Regency Dubai in the Deira area.  About as close as you can get to the port.  Stayed there post-cruise a few years ago and will do so again pre-cruise in December.

Thank you. Will take a look! Can you remember how long the transfer from airport to hotel took you? We will surely be tired and will want to lay down these tired heads as soon and as comfortably as possible. Will there be a hotel shuttle from the airport?

1 hour ago, grayjay said:

Thank you. Will take a look! Can you remember how long the transfer from airport to hotel took you? We will surely be tired and will want to lay down these tired heads as soon and as comfortably as possible. Will there be a hotel shuttle from the airport?

No hotel shuttle.  Airport to Hyatt here:

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Dubai-Airport-DXB/Hyatt-Regency-Dubai

Hyatt to cruise port here:

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Hyatt-Regency-Dubai/Dubai-Cruise-Terminal

1 hour ago, marinaro44 said:

Thank you for the quick answer! WALKING might be the most interesting option given on the website....😁

Lots of time to decide about hotel and transfer till December - and two more cruises before that...