Packing- keeping checked in clothes from getting wet

katrina915

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It may seem like overkill to some but once your stuff gets wet, you will understand.

Yes, all my clothes were damp/wet and it was BEFORE a cruise.  Lucky for me, there was a dryer at the hotel in Anchorage.  

I am from Florida and never had a problem flying during rainy season, but  I think it happened in Dallas where we were delayed from the rain.

15 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Well, polycarbonate - which is a type of plastic used in many hard-sided suitcases - can be dented.  That's actually part of why it's used - better a dent than a break. 

My Delseys are polycarbonate.  No dents with hundreds of thousands of miles on them.

21 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It may seem like overkill to some but once your stuff gets wet, you will understand.

20 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

all it takes is a little puddle and the bags will absorb the water into it.

Yep -- because, much like rust, mildew never sleeps!!😱

• Like 1

On 3/21/2019 at 3:28 PM, wwcruisers said:

I remember that -- wasn't that back when Mariner of the Seas was home-ported there? I just remember smiling and tipping the porter, hoping that -- worst case scenario -- my hard-side Samsonite bag would FLOAT! 😱

Can't say on Mariner, but this might help. There was a Carnival ship that caught fire and we were booked on it. Damage was such that they cancelled and refunded us. Since we had air to LAX, we booked a Princess cruise for a little more.

Sorry had to laugh, many years ago watched loading of luggage at Portside in Brisbane, luggage net below gangplank became loose and there were 20 or more bags floating in the Brisbane River, thank heavens mine was not one of them.  Did however get my bag once with two forklift holes in the side.  Celebrity fixed it perfectly.

14 minutes ago, Gwendy said:

Sorry had to laugh, many years ago watched loading of luggage at Portside in Brisbane, luggage net below gangplank became loose and there were 20 or more bags floating in the Brisbane River, thank heavens mine was not one of them.  Did however get my bag once with two forklift holes in the side.  Celebrity fixed it perfectly.

Duct (or Duck) tape would also do the trick.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:45 AM, simplyrubies said:

I use vacuum pack plastic bags (that do not need a vacuum to use). Not only does it help save space, but it can help prevent your bags from getting wet. An example would be this.

You could also pack your clothes into a cheap garbage or plastic bag. Personally, I don't like hard shell luggages as they are easily dentable in comparison to soft shell luggage.

I switched after my large hard shell got a big hole in it. The airline insisted on repairing it in Bangkok and the what looked like bubblegum fell out in Hong King. 

Soft sides hold more, too. 

On 3/23/2019 at 4:26 PM, jagsfan said:

Soft sides hold more, too. 

But that just means higher overweight bag fees. 😄

I like that the hard side limits how much I can stuff in them.