Hotel suggestions for Barcelona

Mary Louise

I think many of us were in the same situation as you are. :>)  

If you look down the page you'll find a similar  question with many responses, and  look back over the past several pages and you'll find many more responses.

I thought the Barcelona forum of tripadvisor.com provided great info about a hotel location.  They have an excellent thread under TOP QUESTIONS.

Basically Plaza Catalunya at the top of Las Ramblas is the center of Barcelona  ..... if you stay within a few blocks you'll be very close to the Metro and many popular sightseeing spots.  And also under 2 mi from the cruiseport.   I narrowed my choices down to 3 then asked for feedback.

Good luck !

Edited by mapleleaves

On 3/19/2019 at 3:22 PM, rdt10 said:

Hotel Jazz is frequently recommended for pre and post cruise stays. Close to Plaza Catalunya and Universitat metro station. We will be staying there again in June.

Agree...We'll be there in May.

Edited by Ashland

I have stayed in different districts depending on what I wanted to visit.  All have been great.  One piece of advice is that you don't need to stay near to the port.  Access to the port on the day by taxi is easy.  There is a port shuttle bus - just never caught it.  

Another piece of advice is that the metro system is great, but without luggage.  The last time we went, I knew that our hotel was near to the metro station so I cheapskated and suggested we went on the metro.  All I recall was stairs.  I did not have a lot of luggage but it was such a mistake.  I think I must have saved $10!!  When we reached our station, it was raining.   We did have a great time, but I recall making a note to self "use taxis".

For me the best location for someone who is visiting for the first time is central.  Hotel Suizo was well priced and really nice.   Last time we stayed at Hotel Santa Marta, it was really reasonable, nice big clean room  - all for around $100 for the night.   Well pleased.

I can highly recommend Hotel Europark. This is a very well run hotel, much more affordable than most, with a rooftop pool/lounging area and a wonderful breakfast buffet option. 

Not sure if it’s near public transportation, but taxis are plentiful and affordable in Barcelona. On cruise day, the hotel arranged for a minivan taxi to come for the 3 of us and all of our luggage. If I remember correctly, it was about 25€ total. 

Mine is another vote for Hotel Lleo.  It's right at the top of La Ramblas, left-hand side looking up.  Very convenient location.

You can walk almost everywhere.  Hotel is medium-sized.  Small lobby but very nice rooms at a very nice price.  They also h ave a small roof-top pool.  

On 3/24/2019 at 6:54 AM, wing said:

We stayed at Hotel Arc La Rambla. It is in the very center just on Las Ramblas and not far away from the port

I have this hotel booked for 3 nights pre-cruise in June.  It looks like it is in the perfect location.  Did you enjoy your stay there?  Did you have a room that looks out over La Rambla?  If so, was it noisy?

• Like 1

We have also stayed at Hotel Jazz and can recommend it.  We have also stayed at Avenida Palace. It is also a nice hotel in a little more of an upscale neighborhood.  Metro station right outside and walking distance to Placa Catalunya and Casa Batllo.

First time in Barcelona was about 12 years ago. We stayed at Hotel 1898 which is on La Rambla. A very nice hotel but expensive. For our upcoming visit we're staying for several nights at Nouvel Hotel which is just off La Rambla. The rates are much more reasonable for my newer "retirement budget"..  

• Like 1

Stayed at H10 Madison in March and will be back for two nights in May before and after our cruise.  Not near the port but great location near Barrio Gotico and we received great service.

We stayed at Mare Nostrum - Street Sant Pau, 2, LaRambla. It was a great location, the price was reasonable, the service was friendly, although the room was small it was clean and quiet, and the included breakfast was hearty! From the airport we took the Metro and when we got off on LaRambla the door was literally across the street. They held our luggage after check-out so we could sightsee a bit more before going to the port around 2pm. Even though the port appears to be at the end of LaRambla it was quite a distance. We shared an Uber with some other guests and it was about 20 Euro.  https://hostalmarenostrum.com/en/ 

Hotel jazz was a great place. But this year we're doing the air bnb thing and what a deal....we got a great apartment for three nights with access to a rooftop pool much alike Hotel Jazz but it actually came out cheaper! I'd recommend a look at air bnb's first!

downtown is about 20 minutes from the airport so you're not likely to find a hotel that provides a shuttle.  If they do, you'll probably pay for it with a higher hotel rate.   If you require a shuttle, use booking.com or a similar web site and select the option, Airport Shuttle. If there's a particular hotel you're interested in, check their web site ... it will tell you if there's a shuttle or not.

If you stay near Placa Catalunya,  you can use the Aerobus, 30 minutes and 5.9 E 

Otherwise a taxi will be about 30E.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cinnam0n said:

Do any of these have a shuttle from the airport?

We looked at hotels for price and if they were close to a Metro stop because we knew we'd be using the Metro to sightsee. (Tripadvisor was great for finding places according to price, location, reviews, etc.) I was a bit leery of taking the Metro from the airport to our hotel (had Plan B for a taxi) but it was easy to find the information area (with a human attendant), look at the map and find the metro line we needed, and buy tickets (via a machine that takes credit/debit cards). One way to our stop would have been 5 Euro per person but we opted for the 8 Euro 24 hour unlimited use pass which we used the that afternoon and the next day!   https://www.tmb.cat/en/barcelona-transport/map/metro