Hotel suggestions for Barcelona

Mary Louise

I recommend Hotel Atlantis. It's a half block off Plaza Catalunya, is clean, quiet, reasonable for Barcelona and offers a good breakfast. We walked to most sites and restaurants. We took a taxi from the airport and used Barcelona Day Tours for a half day tour on the morning of our cruise and they dropped us off at the cruise port. I stayed here before a cruise in 2017 and I'm returning for a week this July. 

https://www.hotelatlantis-atbcn.com/en/

On 4/3/2019 at 10:45 PM, Grover_ said:

I have this hotel booked for 3 nights pre-cruise in June.  It looks like it is in the perfect location.  Did you enjoy your stay there?  Did you have a room that looks out over La Rambla?  If so, was it noisy?

Can you report back when you go? I have this booked for 3 nights in August and I am anxiously awaiting more reviews of this hotel! Also booked Barcelona Day Tours for a full day tour. 🙂

On 4/18/2019 at 12:53 PM, erby2283 said:

Can you report back when you go? I have this booked for 3 nights in August and I am anxiously awaiting more reviews of this hotel! Also booked Barcelona Day Tours for a full day tour. 🙂

I will try to remember to report back.  😃

I have been trying to decide if I want to book a tour with Barcelona Day Tours.  

• 1 month later...
On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:28 PM, Grover_ said:

I will try to remember to report back.  😃

I have been trying to decide if I want to book a tour with Barcelona Day Tours.  

The day my cruise ended in Barcelona I did a full day tour with Barcelona Day Tours and loved it.  They had several itineraries to choose from so I chose Montserrat and a Barcelona city tour.  I had been to Barcelona twice before but never really "toured" the city with a guide.  I was so impressed with Montserrat that I couldn't believe that I never visited it before.  Just breathtaking and so picturesque.  I loved the fact that they saved me the cab fare from the port to my hotel and they watched the luggage while we all toured.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 3:58 PM, Mary Louise said:

Hi,

Going a few days early before boarding the ship. Any suggestions for a hotel. We do not need to be near the cruise port, but near public transportation would be great, unless everything is walkable.

Thank you

ML

The  Hotel Arts in Port Olympic.   Great area on the water with a nice beach and many places to eat. A Ritz Carlton Hotel.  A little pricey but worth it. 

I have a different opinion about staying on or near Las Ramblas and that is to avoid being on that strip.....noisy, lousy and overpriced restaurants, lots of pickpockets, etc.  Everyone of our local guides on several walking tours advised against staying there.

We were at H10 Raco del Pi in the Gothic district, nice quiet hotel, clean room, comfy bed and large bathroom, and Christina at the desk was so helpful with directions and general advice.  It was just a block and a half from Las Ramblas, where our taxi dropped us off with our luggage.  Cabbie didn't want to navigate the "pedestrian" lanes. I thought a bird made me a target. We were actually accosted by someone following us from the Ramblas and  throwing crap on my back, then offering to clean it up so they could steal a bag in the distraction. 

A suggestion to use another H10 further from the Ramblas was made and I would second that opinion.

For or October 2020 Western Med, I booked the daughter & I in the Atlantis, based upon reviews on CC and really liked the location. It is not on Las Ramblas but just off Placa Catalunya. In fact several from our Roll Call have booked their rooms there. 

We are sailing on the Constellation Sept 22, 2019 and coming in to Barcelona 3  days early. We booked Casa Camper Hotel, off the Ramblas by a few blocks. They say the hotel is wonderful and staff is excellent. We now find we will be there during the Le Merci festival so having a rooftop deck might be wonderful if there re fireworks scheduled during our stay.

We stayed at hotel Jazz summer 2017. Nice hotel. This time though we are doing three nights at an air Bnb. Rates comparatively similar to a lot of the hotels plus we will, once again like Jazz, have a rooftop pool but the better advantage is having our own kitchen this time. It's a full apartment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2019 at 7:53 PM, erby2283 said:

I am currently at the hotel.  Arrived at about 10:30am.  Stored luggage in locker at the hotel for €2.  Our room was ready at noon.  

We are on the second floor with a small balcony overlooking la rambla.  It is just what I hoped we would have.  We can hear some street noise as we expected.  I don’t find it bothersome.

The room is small, but it has character (exposed stone external wall) and the furnishings are in good condition.  It is clean and the bed seems comfy.  My husband says the pillows are a little “weak.” 😃 I brought my own pillow from home.  The air conditioning works really well.  WiFi (currently using) also works well.  Love the location.

1 hour ago, Grover_ said:

I am currently at the hotel.  Arrived at about 10:30am.  Stored luggage in locker at the hotel for €2.  Our room was ready at noon.  

We are on the second floor with a small balcony overlooking la rambla.  It is just what I hoped we would have.  We can hear some street noise as we expected.  I don’t find it bothersome.

The room is small, but it has character (exposed stone external wall) and the furnishings are in good condition.  It is clean and the bed seems comfy.  My husband says the pillows are a little “weak.” 😃 I brought my own pillow from home.  The air conditioning works really well.  WiFi (currently using) also works well.  Love the location.

Thanks for the update! That’s about the time we’ll get there too so good to hear about the lockers. Did you take a taxi? How much? 

We booked the big duplex room on the top as a little treat to ourselves for our birthdays. 🙂

Have a wonderful time and keep and eye on your belongings! 

Edited by erby2283

7 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Thanks for the update! That’s about the time we’ll get there too so good to hear about the lockers. Did you take a taxi? How much? 

We booked the big duplex room on the top as a little treat to ourselves for our birthdays. 🙂

Have a wonderful time and keep and eye on your belongings! 

I reserved a car through sun transfers. I prepaid via PayPal.  There are multiple options for cars that start at around €38.  I chose a private car and It was around €42.  I think taking a taxi from the taxi stand might be slightly less (€30-€35) but I like having someone meet me (sign with my name) when I arrive.

https://www.suntransfers.com/

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:28 AM, sandhillwings said:

First time in Barcelona was about 12 years ago. We stayed at Hotel 1898 which is on La Rambla. A very nice hotel but expensive. For our upcoming visit we're staying for several nights at Nouvel Hotel which is just off La Rambla. The rates are much more reasonable for my newer "retirement budget"..  

Hotel Nouvel is on our short list of choices.  How was it?

4 hours ago, summit011604 said:

Hotel Nouvel is on our short list of choices.  How was it?

Hi Summit. Excellent location, well-maintained for it's age with a friendly and efficient staff. Only issue might be the one small elevator but it didn't have a negative effect on our stay. We treated ourselves to the Junior Suite. Quite roomy. I'm not a bidet person myself, but it's there in the bathroom if you so desire! Barcelona is a beautiful city. Enjoy...

On 3/23/2019 at 8:50 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

Another piece of advice is that the metro system is great, but without luggage.  The last time we went, I knew that our hotel was near to the metro station so I cheapskated and suggested we went on the metro.  All I recall was stairs.  I did not have a lot of luggage but it was such a mistake.  I think I must have saved $10!!  When we reached our station, it was raining.   We did have a great time, but I recall making a note to self "use taxis".

+1 for the stairs on the metro.  Also note that the bus system is extensive, and in my opinion, easy to use.

We booked the Hotel Continental on advice from folks in our roll call who have stayed there. We have 4 days in Barcelona between cruises. We do a 12 day Search for the Northern Lights (round trip Southampton) and then fly to Barcelona. We fly on October 31 and then sail out of Barcelona on November 4. Having never been to Barcelona we're hoping the hotel will be good. Like  I said, it was recommended by folks who have stayed there in the past.

We need 2 nights pre-cruise the end of May. 

Hotel prices are rather shocking. Would prefer to pay under $200/nt.

Looking on Expedia, we may be relegated to apartment hotels. (hotel Europark looks reasonable but they are not booking May yet)

Anyone had experience?

I've used VRBO in Orlando & I think DD & her friends did Air BNB in Spain last year.

On 6/5/2019 at 3:08 PM, Grover_ said:

Hmmm...A hotel that doesn't have a comp. secured room to leave luggage, instead only offering pay per lockers !! 

I just returned from a pre-cruise stay at Hotel Jazz...definitely would recommend this hotel...great location and breakfast buffet also secure room to hold our luggage until our room was ready.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:32 PM, KKB said:

We need 2 nights pre-cruise the end of May. 

Hotel prices are rather shocking. Would prefer to pay under $200/nt.

Looking on Expedia, we may be relegated to apartment hotels. (hotel Europark looks reasonable but they are not booking May yet)

Anyone had experience?

I've used VRBO in Orlando & I think DD & her friends did Air BNB in Spain last year.

KKB  you can get somewhere that I would call 'decent' for under $200.  I loved Hotel Suizo last year because of the location.  Clean and friendly.  I think it is too soon to book.  I would book somewhere acceptable but cancellable now and look again nearer the time.  

On 7/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, Thrak said:

We booked the Hotel Continental on advice from folks in our roll call who have stayed there. We have 4 days in Barcelona between cruises. We do a 12 day Search for the Northern Lights (round trip Southampton) and then fly to Barcelona. We fly on October 31 and then sail out of Barcelona on November 4. Having never been to Barcelona we're hoping the hotel will be good. Like  I said, it was recommended by folks who have stayed there in the past.

This hotel is on my short list. Can you please report back. Enjoy your Cruise.