Conch Train worth it?

39august

I see that on line purchase is $28 per person adult. Is the tour really worth that? We've been to KW before several years ago and just walked around and over to Hemingway's house. Older now and don't want to do a lot of walking. Opinions on value for the money?

We did the Trolley last year as it was our first time in Key West and enjoyed it. Stopping in Key West again in May and are just going to walk around as far as we can go. DH has a bad ankle and we are a year older than old last year. We'll hobble along and if needed will catch the bus, taxi or call a Uber if we can't make it any further. Enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I enjoy it as an interesting and not strenuous look at the highlights of Key West. Some caveats: I don't suggest it if it is raining or on the rare day when it is really chilly and windy. Also, if you have any tendency toward car sickness, ride near the front of the conch train. On a very hot day when I was seated in the very last car of the train, I did start to get faint and dizzy. Also I suggest you sit nearer the front because the narration is about what is near the driver. By the time those in the rear of the train reach the subject they may not be sure what was said. It can be hard to hear the narration clearly in the rear of the conch train.

The Conch Train has been in business for a long time. It must be worth it having been a going concern for so long. I rode the train in 1960 when I first reported to my Navy ship which was home ported there, and was told by my shipmates that it was worth doing. I took my new bride for the train ride when we ended our honeymoon in Key West in December of '61. We took our kids on it sometime in the 1970's. It's always been a really good way to familiarize yourself with the island and it's history. Needless to say, Key West has changed in all these years, but it is still a unique place.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

We are locals and still take a ride when we have folks in town.  It takes you all around the island providing history and background information.  I think it's worth it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I loved the hop on, hop off trolley.  Like you had been to key west several times and decided to try it.  The driver told the history with a lot of humor.  You will learn a lot.  Such as if the porch railing slats have a heart shape it was a betrothal, bottle shape was a speakeasy, ect. It was a great day, saw the entire island and got off at the places we want to explore more.

You won't be disappointed.