Middle aged and “boring” - but love to cruise.

TrinaLC

We are obviously not target market but we love to cruise and have never had a bad one (MSC, HAL, NCL, Carnival, Cunard, Princess ... and to date myself, two voyages on S.S. France!). 

Slightly worried that since we are so clearly out of the intended or target demographics will not be treated well/looked down upon. 

Would rather read my Kindle on deck then go to a drag lunch, but am not offended in any way by a drag event or other lifestyles. Our view is to each his own. 

Thoughts?

12 minutes ago, TrinaLC said:

Slightly worried that since we are so clearly out of the intended or target demographics will not be treated well/looked down upon. 

By some snow flake customer maybe, by the crew, unlikely.

• Like 1

Despite the marketing, I expect it's going to have a pretty typical mix of passengers. I wouldn't worry about it.

By some snow flake customer maybe, by the crew, unlikely.

(As a gen-Xer, I legitimately can't wait till the millennials take over. Nothing wrong with actually wanting the world to suck less.)

• Like 4

LOL, I'm definitely way over their target age range, but I would still cruise with VV.  In fact, we had a pre-deposit down for over a year. The only reason we canceled was that the recently released itinerary just doesn't work for us. Still looking forward to an opportunity to sail on the Scarlet Lady!

(Oh -- and unless you're paying my cruise fare, I don't CARE what you think!😜)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/20/2019 at 2:10 PM, TrinaLC said:

Would rather read my Kindle on deck then go to a drag lunch, but am not offended in any way by a drag event or other lifestyles. Our view is to each his own. 

The upside to enjoying things that aren't the same as what most others on the ship want to do, is you'll have more space and quiet. Instead of being in a throng of people trying to get into Drag Brunch, you can be peacefully reading your Kindle up top, or enjoying crowd free meals at one of the scores of other restaurants on board.  🙂

To me the vibe of Virgin is exactly against looking down on anyone...

• Like 2

We are right there with you! We are booked for next summer, on my 47th b'day!  We are not partiers but love good food, culture, interesting experiences and love to meet people from all walks of life. My husband is most excited about the lack of children, but I hope the younger crowd doesn't make it less enjoyable. I'm going with an open mind and ready to have a different cruising experience. 

• Like 3

I agree with others.  I wouldn't be concerned about how others will treat you just because you fall outside of the target demographic.  The issue instead should be, because the experience it tailored to a different demographic are you comfortable that it will be a good fit for you?  The VV website gives a pretty good idea of what you can expect.  If this sounds good to you, go for it.

• Like 1

I've never seen the  "target demographic" on board a ship. All the advertising I've seen for cruises show beautiful , thin impeccably-dressed young people, laughing and having a great time. Usually the laughing and having a great time are true, the rest not so much.

It seems to me that the target demographic is who they want, who they get is usually very different. 

We're going on Virgin because they have a number of features that we're interested in. I'm sure we'll have a great time. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, patty1955 said:

I've never seen the  "target demographic" on board a ship. All the advertising I've seen for cruises show beautiful , thin impeccably-dressed young people, laughing and having a great time. Usually the laughing and having a great time are true, the rest not so much.

It seems to me that the target demographic is who they want, who they get is usually very different. 

We're going on Virgin because they have a number of features that we're interested in. I'm sure we'll have a great time. 

Hi Patty! So glad to hear that you and Eric are giving this line a try! Would LOVE to hear your review, when you return!

Thank you for these posts! I was #18 on the initial signup list and then cancelled it because I did not fit the demographics as depicted in the ads. Now I’m thinking why not...I’d be going for the ship. I found a 5 night sailing the week of my birthday in Sept 2020,  so I’m going to book as a solo.

Now to figure out how to book....on line, through a travel agent or call VV?

As far as the drag entertainment......yeah baby 😎😎😎

• Like 1

We ended up booking a back-to-back in Sept, 2020. Called VV directly, since they can look at all the inventory and book a specific cabin, not just a computer generated pick - and we wanted the same cabin for both cruises. They were very helpful on the phone. Really enjoyed our cruise on Edge, so I think we'll have a great time on the Scarlet Lady! Gotta love the Drag Queen brunch - and the gym setup looks decent as well. Thank goodness for no kids! The latest promotion on Celebrity with "kids cruise free" is a big turn off to me.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, twodjs said:

We ended up booking a back-to-back in Sept, 2020. Called VV directly, since they can look at all the inventory and book a specific cabin, not just a computer generated pick - and we wanted the same cabin for both cruises. They were very helpful on the phone. Really enjoyed our cruise on Edge, so I think we'll have a great time on the Scarlet Lady! Gotta love the Drag Queen brunch - and the gym setup looks decent as well. Thank goodness for no kids! The latest promotion on Celebrity with "kids cruise free" is a big turn off to me.

Thanks for letting us know how the b2b booking process works. I agree that having the same cabin for both 'legs' of the journey is crucial. That way, you get to truly  enjoy 'turn-around' day, and don't have to fuss with re-packing/unpacking again!

• Like 1

My husband and I are in our 50s and jumped at the chance to book on the Scarlett Lady. I love the concept of a mid-size, innovative ship, and going to Cuba has been a long-time goal. We might be the oldest people on our sailing, but I'm so looking forward to the trip regardless. If we're outcasts, we'll take our experience and move on. But in the meantime, I'm hoping to snag a reservation for the drag brunch ...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 4:10 PM, TrinaLC said:

We are obviously not target market but we love to cruise and have never had a bad one (MSC, HAL, NCL, Carnival, Cunard, Princess ... and to date myself, two voyages on S.S. France!). 

Thoughts?

I had the same reaction - the marketing seems to suggest that anyone other than the very young would not be welcomed. I cannot imagine that their marketing staff was so foolish as to have created that impression by mistaken, so I am left believing that this was exactly the impression Virgin meant to leave. I don’t personally care either way, I am not needy enough to give 2 d*mns about Virgin cruises *wanting* me 😂 But, I do not think it was a fantastic idea to target almost all of their advertising toward audience that on average has very little disposable income and to specifically avoid and irritate the audience that can actually afford their cruises. Just the thoughts of a not-yet-old shrink 🤓

Edited by 2Beeze

They are literally promoting Richard Branson’s 70-somethingth birthday cruise as one of the early cruises that can be booked. I think people are getting way too hung up on this age thing. 

That said, I think there’s an ongoing underestimation of a few things about Millennials, including the fact that the older ones are now in their mid 30s, and a sizable chunk are entering or moving up in high-paying STEM fields. And those people are mostly not on this particular site, which can give one a skewed idea of who can and can’t afford to cruise.

(I work almost exclusively with millennials and almost all of them have been on at least one cruise.)

The wheel never stops turning.

Edited by perditax
  • Like 1

Love all the comments. I’m going for the ship and to see how it all works. Unlike The founder I have cruised and sailed big small new old upscale and rust buckets...so this new product interests me. I just queried on VV s target and read the young at heart.......so maybe filling up the ship weekly with millennial will be a stretch. As for the South Beach bods......looking at the American population......I don’t expect 6 packs and buffed bikinis filling the boat.

i surely won’t fit the demographics although I hit the gym a lot.  It I’ll be celebrating my 68th birthday while on board...so age wise...forget it. It will be my 90th cruise.....so a newbie...no. I’m a veteran....USMC.....and am not easily intimidated.I am single, and gay so not on the hunt for a hook up. So doi fit...no. If I don’t board the ship it will be because VV read my post and said heck no.....not on our ship. If I do get on, I’ll be the guy with s big smile and a beverage in my hand.......maybe even with an umbrella in it 😂😝🤓👹🤪

ps... I like to meet everyone so if we are on the same cruise...9/13/20......say hi!

Tom

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, perditax said:

That said, I think there’s an ongoing underestimation of a few things about Millennials, including the fact that the older ones are now in their mid 30s, and a sizable chunk are entering or moving up in high-paying STEM fields. And those people are mostly not on this particular site, which can give one a skewed idea of who can and can’t afford to cruise.

(I work almost exclusively with millennials and almost all of them have been on at least one cruise.)

The average age where I work is less than half my age, about 30 years old. Many of them live in shared housing and don't own cars, but have been to Australia, Japan, Europe and southeast Asia. If they see a sale on flights to Vietnam, three or four of them will get together and take a long weekend.  Five of them go to the Tommorrowland music festival in Belgium every year. About half have been on at least one cruise.

They are much more into experiences than they are into possessions. They don't participate in either forums or Facebook groups. When I handed over the social media duties to the marketing people, they had to sign up for Facebook. They had long abandoned that platform.

VV advertising is much more experience orientated, and they are trying to snatch up some of those travel dollars going to land vacations instead of houses, cars and expensive stereo equipment (what I spent my money on in my youth). They are mostly great people, too, hard working and driven ... but not for the stuff we bought. They want to experience things.

• Like 4

Hey Tom - Have to laugh...Looks like we'll all be skewing their age demographic big time. I'll be 68, my wife is not far behind and we're on your same cruise - doing a back-to-back starting on 9/13/20! Think VV's "young at heart" phrase is more about having the right attitude than anything else. Age is just a number (but it does get us free gym memberships!). We'll see you there with drinks in our hands as well. Cheers!

Hi Twodjs!

thanks for the response. This morning I received the latest VV info update talking about all the exercise options and chances to sweat. The more I read the more I am curious as to whether VVcan get that many 30 something’s that are into heavy drinking, heavy partying and big time fitness. Can the ship fill up with these cruisers week after week? I will use the gym, and will enjoy seeing others do their vacation their own way. As I am bald, no blow out salon for me. I choose not to tattoo, so no ink salon for me. Exercise yes, active excursion yes, Long Island ice teas, yes.....lemon drop martinis double yes. Socialize (the daily activity when I started cruising) is for me rather than spending to day connected on my iPad, phone or electronic device. Drag lunch......expect a fun time.  

So let the good times begin. I look forward to meeting you both......

ps, lets hope the music is good. 

Imagine a gym health club , studio 54 at sea......this I gotta see 😈

Next question.....how to pack, what attire is appropriate? Work out clothes and gym rags for daytime and skinny jeans and muscle t shirts for evening activities? All stuffed into a back pack for embarkation? Thank heavens by Sept reviews wil be out as to what reality is on board. This is going to be a fun experience!

• Haha 1