Flying back to the US from Quebec

Peachypooh

After we disembark the ship and take a taxi to the airport... then what? If we have gone through

customs getting off the ship when do we go through customs again? First entry point in the US?

If I fly from Quebec to Chicago do I need to collect my bags and then go through customs to get

on my flight back to my home? How much time do I need to allow for this? Thank you.

If you're flying from Quebec City (not Montreal) you'll go through US immigration and customs when you land in Chicago.  If you're flying from Montreal, you'll go through US immigration and customs at the Montreal airport, so your connection in Chicago will be just as if you're arriving on a domestic flight.

The time needed in Chicago will depend on the airline you're flying and especially if the flights are on the same ticket (as opposed to two separate purchases.)  You'll go through passport control, collect your bags and go through customs, then there will be a "re-check" counter after customs where you'll drop your bags and they'll be sent on to your connecting flight.  You'll then go to the departure terminal, go through security, and off you go.  https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myflight/international/pages/default.aspx

Most airlines have a 90 minute "minimum connection time" for international-to-domestic at Chicago, but if your flights are on the same ticket, the airline won't sell you a connection time that falls below their minimums, and if you miss the connecting flight they'll be obliged to put you on the next available flight.  If the flights are on separate tickets, then you'd be responsible for moving yourselves and your bags to the connecting flight's terminal and going through the whole deal.  Not advised.

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 1

If you are getting off the ship, any Immigration or Customs issues will be Canadian, not US. When you arrive in Chicago, then you are dealing with US Immigration and Customs. Yes, in Chicago, after Immigration, you will collect your bags, and re-check them after Customs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

After we disembark the ship and take a taxi to the airport... then what? If we have gone through

customs getting off the ship when do we go through customs again? First entry point in the US?

If I fly from Quebec to Chicago do I need to collect my bags and then go through customs to get

on my flight back to my home? How much time do I need to allow for this? Thank you.

This will depend on when you are flying and where your connecting.

Major airports in Canada have US pre-clearance.  You go through US formalities on Canadian soil prior to boarding your aircraft.  Quebec City airport is working on setting up US Pre-clearance but it is not up yet and will likely take months until it is.  For US Pre-clearance to work, the US actually stations US boarder protection staff in Canada.  I would be surprised if this is up and running during the summer of 2019.

If you fly from Quebec City to Toronto or Montreal and then connect to a flight to the US you will clear US Customers in Toronto or Montreal.  Not a big deal as bags are automatically transferred and the entire process is optimized for connecting passengers.  Separate inspection area just for connecting passengers, high level of automation reduced security screening etc.  You then arrive at a domestic gate in Chicago and don't need to anything special.

If you connecting in the US, US airports are not designed for international transit passengers the same way as Canadian airports.  You will need to recollect your bags and go to same domestic security check are passengers departing locally.

US pre-clearance also applied to some trains and ships.  Trains from Vancouver to Seattle pre-clear.  Ferries from Victoria BC to the US pre-clear and cruise ships from Vancouver to Alaska also pre-clear US formalities.

8 hours ago, em-sk said:

This will depend on when you are flying and where your connecting.

Major airports in Canada have US pre-clearance.  You go through US formalities on Canadian soil prior to boarding your aircraft.  Quebec City airport is working on setting up US Pre-clearance but it is not up yet and will likely take months until it is.  For US Pre-clearance to work, the US actually stations US boarder protection staff in Canada.  I would be surprised if this is up and running during the summer of 2019.

If you fly from Quebec City to Toronto or Montreal and then connect to a flight to the US you will clear US Customers in Toronto or Montreal.  Not a big deal as bags are automatically transferred and the entire process is optimized for connecting passengers.  Separate inspection area just for connecting passengers, high level of automation reduced security screening etc.  You then arrive at a domestic gate in Chicago and don't need to anything special.

If you connecting in the US, US airports are not designed for international transit passengers the same way as Canadian airports.  You will need to recollect your bags and go to same domestic security check are passengers departing locally.

US pre-clearance also applied to some trains and ships.  Trains from Vancouver to Seattle pre-clear.  Ferries from Victoria BC to the US pre-clear and cruise ships from Vancouver to Alaska also pre-clear US formalities.

Thank you so much! We are traveling in 2020 so hopefully pre-clearance in Quebec will be up and running.

21 hours ago, em-sk said:

If you fly from Quebec City to Toronto or Montreal and then connect to a flight to the US you will clear US Customers in Toronto or Montreal. 

..... Unless your flight connects at Toronto City Centre (Toronto Island/Billy Bishop Airport).  There is no Pre-Clearance Center there.

• 3 weeks later...

The last time we flew out of Quebec we were delayed big time so missed our connection in Chicago.  I would do a longer connection than 90 minutes there IMHO.

After our cruise this fall we are flying from Quebec to Newark and renting a car to go up to CT.  Thought about a connecting flight but It was such a short time that we decided driving is the best deal for us. 

• Like 1