Dinner at Eden

Sascol

We are considering dinner at Eden one night on our upcoming cruise.  We've seen some videos online about the experience.  For those of you that have done it, how intrusive are the performances that go on while you dine?  I do not know that we'd be comfortable with the entertainers constantly interacting with us the entire time.

This was also a concern of ours however our experience in late February was that there was very little interaction especially while we ate. The interaction was mostly abstract and in passing during dinner. Example, a performer juggling off to the side, another just walking by in a regal fashion and it was so quick, you may not even notice.

A couple of the courses were presented with the server and a performer but it was swift and not obtrusive.

The meal was one of the best I've ever had on a cruise and we wanted to dine again but unfortunately the timing they offered conflicted with another specialty dining reservation.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dmp223 said:

The meal was one of the best I've ever had on a cruise and we wanted to dine again but unfortunately the timing they offered conflicted with another specialty dining reservation.

The menu in Eden doesn't change at all, does it? I was really tempted to book it twice, but if the food is exactly the same, is it really worth doing over?

14 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

The menu in Eden doesn't change at all, does it? I was really tempted to book it twice, but if the food is exactly the same, is it really worth doing over?

No, there are 2 offerings for each course and the menu is the same every night.

The reason I was eager to go back was because there were a couple of items I wanted to re-order and there were a few courses where I wanted to try the option I didn't have the first time.  

The size of each course was perfect and I did not feel like it was too much food at all. 

I thought I had a picture of the menu, but I do not, I know there is one on here somewhere. I'm thinking its within one of Marilyn's (VTCruising) reviews. 

It may be enough for some to go once, I tend to be of the type that if I like something a lot, I like to go over and over again :classic_biggrin:

Here's the regular menu. There is also a vegetarian menu below. Also, MisterBill reported that the chef was excellent and will cook something special for you, if you wish. When they went back for a second dinner, he made him a delicious dinner off menu. Not sure if that happens all the time, but worth a shot, if interested.

image.thumb.png.177dd775b38a643881d570f394eea13b.png

image.png.1e651f173f821f394023b717e14623b0.png

Edited by vtcruising

We weren't that interested in the characters when we went to dinner, but ended up intrigued with some of them and chatted with them on subsequent visits upstairs. They can tell when you don't want further interaction - they might deliver a dish, but just bow and walk away if you don't interact. If you interact, it can be interesting. My DH enjoyed his staring contest with Coy (I think). I t went on for so long I thought we would miss dinner. She finally blinked and he said "I won!" and she said "I was searching for your soul." I said "You aren't going to find one!" and she said "Why do you think it was taking me so long?" When we saw her on subsequent visits she would nod and smile. I'll have to admit that it was kind of fun to talk with them (never thought I would).

Also, some on more recent cruises have reported that the Edenists aren't performing every night so maybe you could ask the Maitre d' for their night off, if they have one.

• Like 1

We found the portion sizes VERY small. I personally am not a fish eater. Before we went I was told the chef would make me whatever I wanted. NOT TRUE. I had the lobster for the first couese, some kind of mushroom pasta (that they serve to those who are not fish eaters) for the second and each of the meat dishes for the other two courses. That is what the waiter said I had to do.

We had a great time on the Feb. 17 eastern Caribbean cruise on the Edge. And we loved the ship, and thought Eden was spectacular. But we didn’t particularly enjoy our dinner there.

Re characters, a few wander by and interact briefly during the meal, and some kind of queen or princess character greeted us prior to seating, and offered us a glass of some fruity non alcohlic drink. But that was pretty much it. It all felt a little awkward and silly and none of it was particularly entertaining. I thought there would be some performance element during the meal, or cirque de soleil vibe, but there wasn’t. 

The food as good, but not quite good enough to warrant such a high price. I think your money would be better spent at another specialty restaurant, or on the “petit chef” dinner experience, which was super fun.

You can also eat in Eden for free during the day at a small cafe. They have unique sandwiches and such that you can’t find anywhere else on the ship, and they’re delicious.

This was the best meal my husband and I have every had on a cruise!  Don't let the 'show' detract from your food experience, I actually thought it was entertaining and fun.  

The reason we thought the meal was so phenomenal was because of the flavors....I've never had such flavorful food.  I can get a steak and baked potato, etc, anywhere - but I cannot get this.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:19 PM, TommyD3 said:

We found the portion sizes VERY small. I personally am not a fish eater. Before we went I was told the chef would make me whatever I wanted. NOT TRUE. I had the lobster for the first couese, some kind of mushroom pasta (that they serve to those who are not fish eaters) for the second and each of the meat dishes for the other two courses. That is what the waiter said I had to do.

Agree about the portion sizes being small. This will not be the best meal you’ve ever had, believe me. And I believe it’s about 33% more than the other restaurants.

On 3/21/2019 at 10:19 PM, TommyD3 said:

I think MisterBill talked to the Chef personally the day before and he said he would like to make him something different since he has a limited set menu to cook every day. I agree that it is not a good menu for people who don't like fish. The menu didn't feel balanced because of that, but we loved the fish (the Black Grouper was not dried out, as usual on a ship, it seems) and the steak was like butter. With 5 courses, I was happy with the portions, but if you didn't like some of the courses, I can see that it would be different. Hopefully that menu will be tweaked a bit to offer more for non-fish eaters.

Edited by vtcruising