Do you believe all the negative reviews?

Stoffel1982

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

The obsession with reviews - reading them, writing them, and especially the incessant importunings for a review, or lobbying for a high review, are the bane of the 21st century, IMO.  What ever did businesses and customers do before the review culture exploded?  

I read reviews on excursions that I am interested in because I like to hear others perspectives and if I want to throw $100-200 down the drain for a crappy excursion. I dont know many people who dont research a product before purchasing be it a car, a cruise, a phone or a restaurant. I dont make enough to just throw my money out there and gamble on the results. This is 2019 not 1971.

Edited by jean87510

7 hours ago, rosie2018 said:

I've booked Seaside for June 2019 and feeling very nervous about this company. After booking, I called my travel agency and requested to change a different room but same category and the price jumped almost $200. According to the agent, the price should be the same. I was on chat with him over two hours for MSC to get it fixed. He kept saying sorry but it was MSC computer system that's not as updated as other cruise lines. Every time I called, the agent would say MSC system is down or they have a hard time doing the updates. Just called to pay the final payment a few days ago and the agent and I couldn't hear each other and she said MSC was doing an update. Couldn't do payment online because they booked it manually.

Tried signing up to register our account a few days ago and the system kept saying it was not our booking and it couldn't find my voyager number. Called and talked to MSC agent she tried walking me thru, but also said their system was corky and she guessed it was being updated. Tried again yesterday and today and it's doing the same thing. It does the same thing with hubby and he's a computer wiz. Does anyone else have this much problems with their computer system? We have cruised with HAL, RC and NCL and never had any problems with doing anything online. Feeling nervous and skeptical.

TIA

Yes. We have had multiple problems with their systems and with most of their reps.

We enjoy their ships and have no complaints about the food or anything on board. But the land based service is the worst we have ever seen. The reps we keep getting are rude and insulting. Also watch your credit card with them. They have charged my card two times within a couple of days for a cruise and are just horrible about getting it rectified. No, they are not pending charges that will drop. They have taken money out twice and one of the reps literally told me "there is nothing we can do about that". We will take back our business to NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and the other cruise lines who have not given us such troubles. I am very thoroughly disappointed in MSC's land based customer service out of Florida. I was so excited about going on their lovely ships, but the stress of dealing with the cs is not worth it....evrrrry freaking time!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beamafar said:

If some people don't want to read reviews they don't have to.  Others find them very helpful as many have a lot of interesting information included.

Hi Bea,

MSC struck again! How many chances do I keep giving them!?

The Florida customer service office is abominable!

Edited by Arzeena

30 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

Yes. We have had multiple problems with their systems and with most of their reps.

We enjoy their ships and have no complaints about the food or anything on board. But the land based service is the worst we have ever seen. The reps we keep getting are rude and insulting. Also watch your credit card with them. They have charged my card two times within a couple of days for a cruise and are just horrible about getting it rectified. No, they are not pending charges that will drop. They have taken money out twice and one of the reps literally told me "there is nothing we can do about that". We will take back our business to NCL, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and the other cruise lines who have not given us such troubles. I am very thoroughly disappointed in MSC's land based customer service out of Florida. I was so excited about going on their lovely ships, but the stress of dealing with the cs is not worth it....evrrrry freaking time!

Use a travel agent. A good one will handle any problem. I've been on 47 cruises over 7 cruise lines and have never talked on the phone, to any of them.

9 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Hi Bea,

MSC struck again! How many chances do I keep giving them!?

The Florida customer service office is abominable!

Really sorry to hear how much trouble you're having, Arzeena.  I book thru' the UK office and never have any problems.

I just booked a 2020 cruise with them yesterday.  The only 'problem' was around the fact that I'm finally going to change my name on my passport next year before the cruise (when it comes up for renewal).  The rep wanted to change my name in their system, but I have 2 cruises this year that I was concerned would be impacted.  After a little to-ing and fro-ing we reached a solution that I'm happy with.  Her main concern was how to avoid the charge that's applied when you change a name on a booking (which I will be doing).

There was also the issue of whether I could apply a 10% discount code that had been issued if you did the virtual tour of Bellissima on the website.  I was booking a Voyagers' Club Selection 5 + 15% discount cruise;  the rep advised that the code I had wasn't combinable with the VC discount.  When all the details were finalised, she asked me to hold while she went off to confirm that it definitely wasn't combinable.  She really did check off everything thoroughly and was lovely to deal with, too.  This has always been my experience with MSC reps.

It does seem to be that the UK side has very little problems I also have never had to wait too long or had bad service.

Also on the subject of bad reviews if everybody took them as gospel then you would never go cruising as all of the lines have some sort of bad review of something or other

• Like 3

I do read the reviews to be aware of things that could happen on board. I take it as an individual likes/dislikes, but if the majority people have the same problems, I'll definitely keep it in mind. On our last cruise, my hubby was standing behind a man at customer service desk who had a three page invoice because of missing towels. I always keep this phrase in mind "knowledge is power"

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Really sorry to hear how much trouble you're having, Arzeena.  I book thru' the UK office and never have any problems.

I just booked a 2020 cruise with them yesterday.  The only 'problem' was around the fact that I'm finally going to change my name on my passport next year before the cruise (when it comes up for renewal).  The rep wanted to change my name in their system, but I have 2 cruises this year that I was concerned would be impacted.  After a little to-ing and fro-ing we reached a solution that I'm happy with.  Her main concern was how to avoid the charge that's applied when you change a name on a booking (which I will be doing).

There was also the issue of whether I could apply a 10% discount code that had been issued if you did the virtual tour of Bellissima on the website.  I was booking a Voyagers' Club Selection 5 + 15% discount cruise;  the rep advised that the code I had wasn't combinable with the VC discount.  When all the details were finalised, she asked me to hold while she went off to confirm that it definitely wasn't combinable.  She really did check off everything thoroughly and was lovely to deal with, too.  This has always been my experience with MSC reps.

Bea,

Good to know that the UK office is far better to deal with. That is some hope.

I have had such terrible luck with the US office.

Toofar, Cowmilker objected to bad behavior, period. And now you have run off someone whose comments I at least found well-considered.

Having just come off an MSC cruise, I think the major failure was abject disregard of known crowd control techniques.  On my trip this failure led to several near-fistfights during excursion debarkation. All because MSC allowed people whose excursions and bus numbers had not been called to choke the passageways to ship exit, thus blocking those whose buses had been called.  Our excursion left a full hour late as a result. But at least there were no injuries despite the dangerous situation.

The poor and inconsiderate passenger behavior is allowed and one could say even encouraged by poor management. At another port, a significant one, a huge delay getting off the ship turned out to be largely due to the use of just one card scanner at exit.

As for water at meals, I am pretty sure you can get tap water without paying.

DeckLife ... I agree with what you have to say - MSC are very poor when it comes to crowd control (after 21 cruises on many ships in many regions, I speak with some experience).

However, I would like to clarify one thing - tap water is not available in the MDRs.  They only serve bottled water, which is free for those from Ireland and UK.  It used to be the case for US passengers, too, but there have been reports on here that those from the US no longer get bottled water in the Med. 

Water is available in the buffet 24/7.

Edited by Beamafar

14 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

DeckLife ... I agree with what you have to say - MSC are very poor when it comes to crowd control (after 21 cruises on many ships in many regions, I speak with some experience).

However, I would like to clarify one thing - tap water is not available in the MDRs.  They only serve bottled water, which is free for those from Ireland and UK.  It used to be the case for US passengers, too, but there have been reports on here that those from the US no longer get bottled water in the Med. 

Water is available in the buffet 24/7.

If my reservation has a "meal time drinks" package, will I get any kind of water in the MDR (that is if I am lucky enough to even get into the MDR 😪) ?

1 minute ago, Arzeena said:

If my reservation has a "meal time drinks" package, will I get any kind of water in the MDR (that is if I am lucky enough to even get into the MDR 😪) ?

😀 😀 😀 (or maybe not  😱 )

You will have a choice of Still/Natural or Sparkling/Frizzante, Arzeena -  you'll be spoilt for choice so you'll!  The fizzy other stuff is even better  😜.

Our "experience" included bottled water but when I asked for water in a glass at breakfast or lunch, I got it-- but after repeated asks. Now I know why! 

That is a terrible policy not to provide water!

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DeckLife said:

Our "experience" included bottled water but when I asked for water in a glass at breakfast or lunch, I got it-- but after repeated asks. Now I know why! 

That is a terrible policy not to provide water!

And yet in some parts of the world it is the accepted practice.  This is essentially what I mean by people being critical of cultural differences.  I know it will come as a shock, but there are parts of the world where waiting 'politely' in line would be considered laughable.  

• Like 1

I don't think throwing of elbows, pushing people, or flauting crew debarkation instructions should be an acceptable behavior. Regardless of cultural background. Waiting politely? Way to go--just be dismissive of these complaints. 

If MSC wants to make serious inroads into the American market, and I think it does, paying attention to at least norms rhar promote safety and congeniality would be a good idea. I don't say a word when someone slips in front of me as I wait for my chance at breakfast food. Obviously I missed seeing the hole. But when I am surrounded by people who push and shove, you better believe I see a serious problem. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beamafar said:

😀 😀 😀 (or maybe not  😱 )

You will have a choice of Still/Natural or Sparkling/Frizzante, Arzeena -  you'll be spoilt for choice so you'll!  The fizzy other stuff is even better  😜.

Not a very good chance of a  chance of going to MDR on the Meragvilia cruise, we booked Fantastica and MSC Magic turned it into Bella, because of all the deck plans that switched sometime after we booked....long story. We do have a meal time pkg on this one so fingers crossed I get an MDR assignment to enjoy the frizzies.

But in June we are going on the Seaside (Fantastica balcony...yes I am a glutton for punishment HA HA) and there is a chance that they will give me a decent dining time.

We do not have mealtime drink pkg here, but if I ask for water, what will they offer? tap water or some $$aqua de shaqua from some place in Italy? or I think I should bring my thermos ! LOL!

Edited by Arzeena

The water thing is weird. After all water is one of the basic human needs.

No wonder people were filling their own bottles in the buffet area, thus blocking those of us wanting a glass of water with breakfast. MSC ought to provide bottle filling stations.

3 hours ago, DeckLife said:

The water thing is weird. After all water is one of the basic human needs.

No wonder people were filling their own bottles in the buffet area, thus blocking those of us wanting a glass of water with breakfast. MSC ought to provide bottle filling stations.

you can get a glass of water at breakfast, what makes you think you cant?  And as for bottle filling stations I have seen NO cruise line with these , The buffet area has self service water dispensers 24 hours a day .

You can also get water any time you like in your cabin from the taps  

I drink a lot of water.  I bring my own water bottle and use buffet water to fill, or room tap, using ice.  So, I may have missed it, but on Armonia is ice put to your room in Bella experience?  If not, I can carry out from buffet area.  

13 minutes ago, Annapolisr said:

I drink a lot of water.  I bring my own water bottle and use buffet water to fill, or room tap, using ice.  So, I may have missed it, but on Armonia is ice put to your room in Bella experience?  If not, I can carry out from buffet area.  

You can ask your steward to supply you with ice - I'm sure he'll oblige.  I really don't think that being in Bella would reduce the service to the extent that you don't get ice supplied.

I never said you can't get water in buffet at breakfast. What I said was people filling water bottles there block out those who simply want to fill a glass. Some water stations go out of service as well; some stations have out of service ice dispensers. 

Bottle filling stations should be added. So what that cruise lines haven't yet;they ought to. And tell bottle fillers to do so in their rooms; it is the same water. Or during nonpeak hours in the buffet.  

38 minutes ago, DeckLife said:

I never said you can't get water in buffet at breakfast. What I said was people filling water bottles there block out those who simply want to fill a glass. Some water stations go out of service as well; some stations have out of service ice dispensers. 

Bottle filling stations should be added. So what that cruise lines haven't yet;they ought to. And tell bottle fillers to do so in their rooms; it is the same water. Or during nonpeak hours in the buffet.  

Unfortunately it is the same on all cruise lines , 

it is not exclusive to MSC