Camera for Alaska

Mommydust

My Canon Powershot SX50 HS is dead so it’s time to upgrade before our Alaska cruise in Sept. I am an amateur photographer but have allowed myself some time to learn a new camera. If my budget is ~$1300, would I be better off going with the new Sony 6400 with 18-135mm lens, or Canon EOS Rebel SL2 and a Tamron 18-400 lens? Or is there a third option that I might consider? I don’t mean to be insulting to the professionals out there who have spent years learning their craft. Given I only have a few months to nail this down are the two aforementioned cameras “out of my league?” I should note, I also have a Nikon D5100 with a 70-300mm lens but it is heavier and bulkier than I wish to take along. 

• Like 1

The A6400 has much better autofocus and it's size is an attractive option. 

In your situation, knowing what I know about the Sony, I would go with the A6400 and the remarkable 18-135mm as the main purchase. If I were planning on whale-watching or other wildlife-focused tours, I would rent a FE 70-300 G or even the FE 100-400 GM lens for the week. That would cover just about everything you would encounter. 

My 2¢...  🙂

Dave

You may want to consider a 'bridge' camera [fixed lens camera] with a fairly long zoom, and a fairly large sensor.

Both Panasonic [FZ1000, FZ1000 mark2] and Sony [RX10 series] have cameras in this category.

Another option is the Olympus EM5 mark 2, bundled with a travel zoom lens [14-150mm,  provides a similar angle of view to 28-300 mm for a 'full frame' camera].  Olympus is releasing a 12-300mm zoom this spring - similar angle of view to a 24-600 mm full frame lens, but that would likely exceed your budget [and be bulky/heavy]

This combination is weather sealed [ok in the rain or snow - don't dunk it] unlike most of the other options [I think some of the later Sony RX series cameras are also weather sealed]

I'll put in a second vote for the Olympus micro 4/3 option, although given your budget, I'd go for the EM10 mark iii ($549), a Tamron 14-150mm lens ($399) and then you have enough left for a 75-300mm lens for some good reach for Alaska.  This is my setup, although I have the EM10 mark ii.  Here's a few shots:EM10-6263054.thumb.jpg.8acf381815071efcd336e396bfd93298.jpg

EM10-6221904.thumb.jpg.466de8f7b1715e1375edd2f837ef8b49.jpg

EM10-6263622.thumb.jpg.de6ccc04aadaec6d9136cc312e96268e.jpg

EM10-6307541.thumb.jpg.6cf6072a72038ca0ec47e116ae88416b.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mommydust said:

Pengu1n - great pics. Which lens were you using? I can’t seen to find the 75-300 that you referenced.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/919786-REG/olympus_v315040bu000_m_zuiko_digital_ed_75_300mm.html

Although a 14-150mm lens (Tamron or the pricier one from Olympus) is more versatile, the 14-42 mm kit lens often supplied with the Mark III has one very appealing feature: a "pancake" form factor that retracts to a length of about an inch. For me, that makes it possible to put the camera into a coat pocket with the lens attached.

I didn't even realize this forum was here!  I am looking for a new camera for Alaska as well.  I leave in 43 days!  Actually - my husband is the one that wants me to get a new camera since I have an old Rebel that is 8Megapixels so I suppose it is a bit outdated, however I wasn't anticipating any new camera spending and he just sprung this on me.  I have not looked at cameras in a decade or thereabouts so I don't even know what is out there anymore.  I have always been a Canon person and am not into all of the nuances of the new cameras.  Any additional thoughts?  I might also mention that I don't want to be switching out a bunch of lenses if I can help it.  

Edited by vermonter16

I have to say that I am intrigued by the Sony RX10-IV but it is certainly pricey and I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into with that, lol.  I used to do a lot of photography back in the day as a hobby - nothing professional in the least as you can tell.  

So, I realize I'm having a conversation with myself, lol but I'm on a roll.  I think for my purposes I may be ok with the Sony RX10-III.  Has anyone had experience with this one?  My main thing is not to have extra lenses.  I really find it inconvenient...SUPER inconvenient to where I just don't want to take photos.  Hence, my reason for checking this one out.  

As I have mentioned up thread, the two surviving larger sensor 'bridge' cameras are the Panasonic and Sony models.

Sony's strategy for the RX-10 series seems to be keep the older models available as the lower priced models in the series - so while all are quite capable, the newer models add features and software revisions. I think the model 'IV' added some weather sealing.

The other camera in this niche is the Panasonic FZ-1000. This also has a medium size [so called 'one inch' ] sensor and a bright fixed zoom lens. A 'mark II' version was recent released, and the original was available for about $500 [this is less that I paid for my FZ-50 back in 2008] 

The one thing I specifically like about the RX-10 III is because of the weather sealing.  I've checked out the Panasonic FZ-1000 and FZ-2500 and I want to love them and I'm sure overall they would be fine....I don't think they have weather sealing on either of those.  The FZ-1000 II is due out at the end of the month so not a lot of reviews on them.  I could go with the RX-10 IV but I don't think I'd really benefit from the bit more it has to offer at that price point...if I thought I would - I would pick it up in a heartbeat.  Decisions, decisions.

Edited by vermonter16

If you are talking to yourself Vermonter, than I’m guilty of eavesdropping! But you hijacked my thread, so I guess we’re even. 🙂 All kidding aside, I’m really on the fence at this point. I tend to want to pay more for the best, and sacrifice practicality. Right now I have the Sony A6400, the Lumix FZ1000, a Canon EOS Rebel, and an Olympus EM 10 ii all in my Amazon cart. I find it’s a good way to keep track of what I like and monitor price changes. My next step is to go to Best Buy and actually handle them to help refine my choices. I plan to resolve this soon though so I have some time to master whatever I end up with. I have found this site to be most helpful with comparisons:

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/panasonic-fz1000-vs-sony-a6300

I totally did hijack your thread and I was even going to say I did and take full responsibility, lol....and start another one - but there were good suggestions on here that sent me on my way to researching and then having a full conversation with myself.  I love the fact that you have all those suggestions in your cart!  That is fantastic!  I have always been a Rebel fan....I had an SLR Rebel and a DSLR Rebel.  But, and I reiterate this - what has totally stopped me from even wanting to carry a camera is the different lenses (which only goes to show I am NOT a professional...or I could be lazy).  I keep telling my husband I would rather not take photos and just enjoy the moment but he takes...not so good photos and likes mine.....what can I do?  We also have an upcoming Panama Canal cruise next fall in 2020 so this camera may come in handy.  I wasn't even going to bring a camera but he is totally locked into me needing a camera that I'm going to use.  So, I want to find one I am actually going to use.  I really need a long zoom lens (because I used it frequently the last couple of times to Alaska) and it was very helpful for whale watching.  I like the Lumix FZ1000 but I'm not thrilled that it isn't weather sealed and the new one coming out in a week isn't either.  But, those are things I am specifically looking for.  I am going to check out the site you listed and I'd also be interested in hearing which one you ultimately decide to go with.