Honeymoon cruise on the Norwegian coast

Shoe King

Hi guys,

We were thinking of doing a cruise in February 2020 for our honeymoon and hope to see the northern lights when we are there. 

What type of clothing would we need to bring at that time of year?

We are also going to book a suite as it’s our honeymoon and splashing out.  Are there any particular ships with the best suits, ideally with big windows or balconies?

Also what excursions would you recommend along with duration of the cruise to make the most of our time.

look forward to hearing all your suggestions.  Oh this is also our first cruise.

Many thanks in advance,

Francis

3 hours ago, Shoe King said:

Hi guys,

We were thinking of doing a cruise in February 2020 for our honeymoon and hope to see the northern lights when we are there. 

We are also going to book a suite as it’s our honeymoon and splashing out.  Are there any particular ships with the best suits, ideally with big windows or balconies?

Also what excursions would you recommend along with duration of the cruise to make the most of our time.

look forward to hearing all your suggestions.  Oh this is also our first cruise.

Many thanks in advance,

Francis

First. Congratulations and Best Wishes to both of you.

This should be a spectacular cruise; the landscape is just gorgeous!

You'll be there with more dark hours than we were, so I don't know exactly what you'll see in "daylight".  We were there last year in early/mid March.

We had an Owners Suite on the Trollfjord (Midnatsol is an identical - or almost? - sister ship).  There was plenty of space, and 1.5 bathrooms, always a nice touch.

But note that unlike on other cruise lines, there is nothing like Butler service, not even for the top suites, and NO room service either.  We knew that ahead, and didn't miss it one bit!

The two OS are Deck 8, aft (rear), so there is a nice view of "where you've been" - and some of that was breathtaking, although in general we prefer forward suites, so we can see where we are going.  But there are almost none of those on Hurtigruten (except something that has windows to decks where people can be standing... not what we would have in mind....).

Someone else took videos of the OS on the newer ship (Svalbard? Spitsbergen?  I'm forgetting the name.) and that was more modern, and looked a bit nicer.  I think the balcony may also have wrapped a bit around the side.

That aft balcony provided WONDERFUL wind-free shelter, and in that cold weather, it was really good to have, when we did see Northern Lights.  The display conveniently happened to be visible from our balcony :classic_smile:

We took the "Astronomy Package", which pretty much determined exactly which day and ship we took.  Those are only once per month during the season, I think.

Please do read about the Northern Lights.  Human eyes typically do NOT see those brilliant colors, and we were VERY glad we understood that in advance.  It was still thrilling to see them, especially as we saw what I'll call "the dancing curtain" display, albeit limited colors.  DH saw almost no color, but he loved it, too.

Enjoy!!

GC

Thank you GC.  We are sitting down this weekend to have a good look into the cabins, routes, excursions etc.  We are now thinking of doing the 12 day cruise to make the most of our time.  What are everyone`s views on this period of time?  We feel that the 6 day one might be a bit rushed?

Shoe King

I did a 7 day from Bergen to Kirkenes in January - I have never done the 12 day return - alway felt it was to much of the same. Then I combine the cruise with some additional days in Bergen and Kitprkenes - also consider some days in Oslo. However many people does like the 12 days - I have made a full review of my 7 days   Link to my review

On 3/22/2019 at 11:55 PM, Shoe King said:

My suggestion for Dress for the cold - I did travel in my Loewe hiking  boots and used them for most of the trip except in cabin and evenings.

Are there any particular ships with the best suits, ideally with big windows or balconies?

Look at the bigger ships. A suite or mini suite is nice - primarily if you are going for a 12 night cruise

I did the dog sledding in Tromø and North Cape from Honningsvåg - In Kirkenes King Crab and Snowmobile as well as the snow hotel.

Harpy planning - Will be a great experience.