Foreign Exchange?

artlee

34 minutes ago, artlee said:

I never had the need until now but was wondering if Guest Services handles foreign money exchanges?

thanks

We live in Vancouver and have several foreign exchange places that have rates much better than the banks, on our fall Westerdam cruise people were purchasing both RMB and Yen at guest services within 1% point of what I got at the Vancouver Foreign exchange, whose rates are very competitive.  I already got for my next cruise AUD and NZD, but if I need more I am hoping guest services has some.

Usually you can get local currency on board at the front desk, and usually you can exchange foreign currency on board back into US$. You don't say what currency you are seeking so if you need something uncommon the front desk may not have it, so I say usually.  

FWIW: We use a debit card in an ATM once on land to withdraw the local currency; usually low or no fee, best exchange rates.  When doing this we try to use an ATM at a bank building so if there is an issue with the card they can help you.  

If you tell us what port or what currency, we may be able to help you more specifically.  

They usually do as long as it isn’t an unusual currency.

If you just need a few dollars, it’s no big deal, but if you are looking for anything substantial it’s a huge difference in exchange rate.

We get some here before we go (our rates aren’t that bad) and use ATM’s when needed.  Hope this helps 

Thanks everyone. We are on Koningsdam --- a TA and will be stopping in Croatia .. so the Kuna. I think its Euro's everywhere else so I already took care of those. Really excited about our first TA and the longest cruise (22 days) we have ever taken.

art